Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys tonight i ran inot a huge problem! i had installed these about a month ago, i used the EBC slotted/dimpled rotors front and rear, and the EBC Red Stuff brake pads, the combo looked great. Well i was driving the car to get my new rubber installed and i noticed a very strong brake burning smell...I just figured they are breaking in no biggie. Well i came to a stop light and noticed a lot of smoke coming from my pass rear wheel well. I thought man thats serious for break in. Well i pulled over and they were smoking pretty heavily. I let them cool a bit and kept driving, just because i needed to get to the store before they closed. I drove with the pass window down, and the mirror pointed where i could see the wheel, and i had the radio down this time, and noticed a very harsh grinding sound, which didnt sound right to me. I came to a stop light and noticed much more smoke coming from my wheel well, and thought damn, i hope those dont catch fire....(this is after driving maybe 5-7 miles) Well i pulled over again and notice about an 1/8 inch gouge/yellowish color mark around the enitre outside of the rotor...NOT NORMAL! i looked at the other three and they looked just fine! I didnt see anything lodged between the rotor and pad but that was my only guess at the time. Anyway i think my rotor is toast...DAMN IT...they are BRAND NEW. My next guess is a stuck caliper, but when i press the brake i can hear a difference in grinding noise. I have no idea what this could be, has anyone else experienced something along these lines when installing brand new brakes?? Thanks in advance for any advice from you guys!!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
do you KNOW that caliper isn't sticking, or you think its not sticking?

and the reds are pretty manly pads right? if the calipers is stuck shut on the brake disk it will heat it up quick fast and in a hurry

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know that it is sticking, thats just a guess. I dont think it is, because when i press the brakes i can hear the grinding increase, making me think the caliper is pressing the pad harder against the rotor. I was just putting my thoughts out there. I will try and snap some pics tomorrow, im gonna take the wheel off and take a look at it, when i get off work :( It is boggling my mind, it doesnt make sense! Brakes are way too easy to change to have an F up, unless its a faulty pad for some reason??? Very ODD situation

·
Registered
641 Posts
sounds like a sticking caliper to me. If you can put the car up and see if the wheel is free spinning.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
best thing you can do is to take the rear brake assembly apart and look around, then if things look fine, put it back together and drive around to see if you still have a problem

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
best thing you can do is to take the rear brake assembly apart and look around, then if things look fine, put it back together and drive around to see if you still have a problem

Roger that! Im gonna take it apart this evening and see what the deal is. It seems very strange to me, because a brake job is VERY straight forward, and ive done many prior to this with no problems. It just sucks its happening now, because we are moving in less than a month, and the movers are coming Monday to pack up our stuff so there goes all my tools. And the car has to be ready to drive 300 miles by Jan 23. :(

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How can i test to make sure it is not a seized caliper?? when i get off i plan to take the brakes off and want to make sure it is not seized up.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
well if you unbolt the caliper and go to pull it off and it doesn't move, its seized

or if you just plain try and spin the wheel with it off the ground and it doesn't spin freely, then its seized, i've un-seized calipers by spraying a ton of fluid film on the piston and just working it in, and its been running fine for...about 4 or 5 years now

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i had to use a blunt punch and hammer to get the caliper off the rotor, but i can turn the piston into the caliper. Since it is on the rear. Im gonna look in the helms real quick. Thanks for the heads up...looks like i might have a siezed caliper.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK guys heres an update. There isnt a gouge in the rotor, it is discolored because of the heat last night driving to discount tire. So i figured i had a seized caliper, i went and picked up a new one from advance and put it on, i checked the ebrake cable while it was apart everything looked normal! So put it all back together with the new caliper and bled the brakes, and while i had it jacked up i tried to spin the wheel, key word TRIED!! the bitch is still grinding and VERY tight...i have NO idea what this problem could be! Im taking it to get an alignment and while they doing that im gonna have them take a look at it! HOPEFULLY they can find the problem and get her fixed...i havent driven my car now for almost 2 months :( mainly because we have been so busy i havent had time to get her up and running and when i do she runs like crap! :( if its not one thing it another.

But on the up side i have close to $1700 to start piecing together a turbo kit...soon ill be ordering an OBDI chipped ecu and hopefully go get it tuned sooner than later!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts