Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
K, I bought the parts for a 5lug conversion for my 4th gen lude, but now I dunno what specs I should get for wheels and tires. As of now my suspension is stock, but I plan on lowering it an inch or two. The wheel size I want is 17 but what width should I get for it and does it matter if i get like 17x7 for from and 17x8 for rear? and if it does what differences would there be (good and bad please). I think for 4th gen the stock tires is like 215/40 for 17s right? Lastly I have no idea what offset to get. I would to keep it flushed with the body if possible without any rubbing. So as of with stock suspension (not lowered) what offset can I get to achieve to get the wheels/tires flushed with the body and if I lower it about 1-2 inches what offset can I get to achieve the same thing, all without rubbing.

Oh, I was wondering is the front tires bigger than the rears and is the only reason for wider wheels/tires in front for traction only, no + in understeer or anything?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Crud I don't know if I even want 17's anymore. Everyone keeps saying the ride quality sucks bad with the thin ass tires. Can anyone who has 17's tell me about their ride experience?

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
The ride comfort is negligable. It is harder. But, that's the sacrifice your going to have to take when going for style over comfort. Tire pressure and suspension also go into account. Plus, your not going that thin on tires anyway it seems. Im on 205/45/17 and it's pretty decent. Just go with a standard offset. Nothing below 42 or over 45 if you can help it. Although thats for a 5th gen. I dont know about a 4th gen. Sorry.

Honestly, hit up tirerack. When you get rims, they already come with spacers and lugs for free, so they take the guess work out of it. Unlike random wheels you find on ebay then you gotta think what offset you want. Also you can get tires too. They have bill me later and good deals on tires. Thats how i was able to get rims and tires. And just payed for it all over time. Hope that helped some.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ride comfort is negligable. It is harder. But, that's the sacrifice your going to have to take when going for style over comfort. Tire pressure and suspension also go into account. Plus, your not going that thin on tires anyway it seems. Im on 205/45/17 and it's pretty decent. Just go with a standard offset. Nothing below 42 or over 45 if you can help it. Although thats for a 5th gen. I dont know about a 4th gen. Sorry.

Honestly, hit up tirerack. When you get rims, they already come with spacers and lugs for free, so they take the guess work out of it. Unlike random wheels you find on ebay then you gotta think what offset you want. Also you can get tires too. They have bill me later and good deals on tires. Thats how i was able to get rims and tires. And just payed for it all over time. Hope that helped some.
Yea it helped some. I think 215/40/17, 17x?, 42+, but I'm still not sure on the diameter yet. So either 7 or 8, what you guys think? Also I need some help because I don't know what flat taper and deep taper really is, but where does that come in on the wheels and what affects will it have on the wheels including aesthetics?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Daaaannnggggg, this forum is dead yo.
That's because the answers to all your questions, and general info about this subject, are littered throughout this forum. In fact there is a thread a few lines down where someone asked this exact same question. Next time you have something generic to ask use the search feature first, then create a thread.

To answer it though, if you don't want problems get a 17x7 +45 and mount a 215/45R17 tire of your choice. That's the best all around combo agreed on by many.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's because the answers to all your questions, and general info about this subject, are littered throughout this forum. In fact there is a thread a few lines down where someone asked this exact same question. Next time you have something generic to ask use the search feature first, then create a thread.

To answer it though, if you don't want problems get a 17x7 +45 and mount a 215/45R17 tire of your choice. That's the best all around combo agreed on by many.
I did use the search function for the deep and flat taper, there was hardly anything. So maybe the other questions would have been answered if I searched harder, but either way I still would had have to make a new thread for the flat and deep taper question. Soooo, might as well kill two birds with one stone.

Yet no replies on the flat and deep taper. I guess I'll go over to my local tire store and ask em.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts