Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 gen
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was running car when this happens. Then switch Tranny to parking and fall to 1,000 RPM. Switch to drive but neutral like and it raise to 2,000 rpm and keep raising, tranny no response on any gear. After few minutes later it work fine like nothing happens. What is the problem?

·
Registered
1985 Prelude
65 Posts
Is that the only problem you're having? Delayed engagement is typically due to a transmission problem.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am not familiar with transmissions but I know a lot about computers. Disconnect the sensor(s) from the transmission one by one, if it is a bad sensor then the computer and transmission may operate in a fail-safe way and the transmission may then shift into gear. If nothing, disconnect all electronics from the transmission to force the tranmission into operating completely mechanically and then try again; the computer may refuse to start the engine if it cannot communicate with the transmission, I would not design a car this way though.

If the problem is mechanical then it sounds like the transmission is fucked as it can't catch gears... or however it works.

·
Registered
3 gen
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not familiar with transmissions but I know a lot about computers. Disconnect the sensor(s) from the transmission one by one, if it is a bad sensor then the computer and transmission may operate in a fail-safe way and the transmission may then shift into gear. If nothing, disconnect all electronics from the transmission to force the tranmission into operating completely mechanically and then try again; the computer may refuse to start the engine if it cannot communicate with the transmission, I would not design a car this way though.

If the problem is mechanical then it sounds like the transmission is fucked as it can't catch gears... or however it works.
Thnks but after while of what happen tranny work fine. All gears are working know.

·
Registered
419 Posts
With this kind of problem, the failure is almost certainly an internal transmission failure. Probably will need to replace or rebuild.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The only time my transmission did not respond was when I was 19 and destroyed it by repeatedly putting it into neutral, revving the shit out of the car and then slapping it into drive.

It's not a sensor. A transmission will still go into gear without a sensor. On a healthy car, with the car off put it into gear and you will see what I mean.

Your transmission failing to shift into gear means there is a serious problem inside it and based on my experience with a failing transmission, you should start planning for it's failure which will soon come.

Do you have any flaring? This means when you press down the accelerator 100%, the rev's hold high before shifting into next year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The only time my transmission did not respond was when I was 19 and destroyed it by repeatedly putting it into neutral, revving the shit out of the car and then slapping it into drive.

It's not a sensor. A transmission will still go into gear without a sensor. On a healthy car, with the car off put it into gear and you will see what I mean.

Your transmission failing to shift into gear means there is a serious problem inside it and based on my experience with a failing transmission, you should start planning for it's failure which will soon come.

Do you have any flaring? This means when you press down the accelerator 100%, the rev's hold high before shifting into next year.
This is inaccurate. Automatic transmission gear engagement is controlled by oil pressure to a series of wet clutch packs. If the engine is not running, the transmission oil pump is not spinning, therefore, no oil pressure to engage a selected gear.

The external solenoids control transmission oil pressure to the parts of the valve body, which can affect gear engagement, and shifting, among other things.

Sensors such as the vehicle speed sensor can also affect shifting or gear engagement as well. Its been a long time since ive seen one of these transmissions, but most hondas also have a input and output speed sensor. If any one of these three sensors are bad, or erratic signal, you can absolutely get intermittent function from the transmission. The vehicles are usually pretty good about throwing a code for a erratic sensor though. If you have a blinking "D" then you may want to pull the codes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Oh right. I though the cars ability to roll when put into drive meant the transmission was in gear but now I'm guessing it can roll because the transmission park pin or what ever it's called is disengaged.

I just looked in the manual and saw a speed pulser in the transmission.

Don't you have a third generation Prelude?

DON NADIE read this if you have a 1988-1989 Prelude:

Read this if you have a 1990-1991 Prelude:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts