Honda Prelude Forum banner

Need advice re replacing motor in 99 prelude

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  bouckarooo 
#1 ·
If this is in the wrong place I apologize. I've read thru the boards and searched for similar questions but need direct advice from the prelude gurus out there.

I have a 99 prelude with 183000 miles. 5 speed. I bought it new and have driven it daily for almost 15 years. A couple of weeks ago it wouldn't crank and my mechanic ( who I trust ) says the heads have collapsed, it's not getting nearly enough compression and needs a new motor. ( I have not been good with maintenance over the years. A lesson I'm learning the hard way now).

I don't mind spending $1500 to $2k on it but my fear is that it will never be right again. I adore the car. Is a new motor really my only option and if so how likely is it that a mechanic not specializing in Hondas will be able to successfully replace the motor? He is a good mechanic who has fixed many cars for my family over the years... I asked if he'd ever done a honda engine b4 and he hasn't. I've been told the prelude is very hard to repair this way. I'm dieing to keep the car but don't want to waste thousands and still not have a reliable car...

Any advice will be deeply appreciated. I just don't know enough to make a good decision on this and can't really afford to make a bad one.

See less See more
#2 ·
The heads have collapsed...? That makes no sense.

You had better trust this mechanic like your brother if you're trusting him to do an engine swap. Depending on the severity of damage to the engine, you could attempt to have it repaired (depending on what went wrong).

Unfortunately, by not keeping up with maintenance, you've put yourself in this position. Motor swaps are extremely difficult to do 100% correct, especially if they're being done by someone who's getting paid hourly. It's incredibly common to have a car missing a few bolts and nuts here and there after such a heavy amount of work.

#3 · (Edited)
Yes, I absolutely have put myself in this position. I take full responsibility for that. Stupid, I know. But done now and all I can do is move forward.

This guy doesn't work by the hour. He'll charge me a flat amount to put in the motor. My dad and granddad were car dealers and this guy has replaced many motors for them ( both are deceased now ) but always on American cars. They dealt almost exclusively in ford, Chevy, gmc, etc. No Honda. So I guess my question is is it true that the prelude is much more difficult to switch a motor out than these other cars? Is there a reasonable chance I can replace the motor and still keep my prelude or am I walking into an endless and expensive minefield of repairs? What makes the prelude different?

How can I determine if the engine I have can be repaired? What questions do I need to ask? If I have the motor rebuilt is that better than an engine swap or is it basically the same thing since the motor has to be removed to be rebuilt?

I know it's hard to answer these general questions without more info. Any input will be deeply appreciated.

#4 ·
It's hard to say on your mechanic, working on a Honda isn't very difficult, but it's nothing like working on a GM car. What engines has he done? Newer, more intricate engines (Cobalts, Malibus, etc.)? Or has he just done older carbuerated motors?

If the motor swap is done correctly and gone through with a fine tooth comb (AKA, making sure everything was done perfectly right), then you shouldn't have much reason to worry outside of the health of your "new" engine. Without knowing the exact history of the engine you're buying, you could be buying a cherry or a lemon.

It's hard to say if your current engine can be repaired without knowing what went wrong. Ask your mechanic what he thinks happened. He might not know exactly what happened, but he should be able to give you a good idea. Telling you that your "head collapsed" makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

If it's something like a broken timing belt, you might be able to rebuild your engine and have it live on longer. At 183,000 miles, you're probably ready for a refreshed engine.

#5 ·
If you want to keep it stock, simple and reliable - buy the same engine of usdm prelude. Swap is pretty easy, if you leave harness on the motor. You basically have to disconnect several hoses and connectors, shifter cables, axels and remove mounts. I would think that every single person who's done whatever engine replacement on any car can do that in single day. HELMS got a great manual on how to remove and install engine into the bay, that I would definitely print out for the mechanic. Plus if engine is out - it's super simple to replace all rubber gaskets and seals, as well as timinb belt and water pump.

#6 ·
maybe he meant the headgasket has collapsed. It will be nearly impossible for people online to determine the best route for your car as it is all in the hands of the mechanic working on it.

Using the helms I swapped the prelude motor from one prelude to another prelude 7 years ago. The helms is all encompassing and makes it very easy to do the swap. I actually only had a few bolts left over which is unbelievably great considering it was my first real DIY.

Since then, i've swapped and rebuilt a number of h22 in preludes and they run good or better then before. I really believe with a good mechanic your car can be back on the road running just as good or better.

#7 ·
Well, other questions have already been answered.

Buy the 98+ spec motor from here. http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30029

They are the ONLY place I would consider buying a used h22 from. You're basically guaranteed a minty fresh motor with very low miles. Steve @ Hmotors is a great guy to deal with, and you'll find TONS of positive feedback about them.

#9 ·
Sounds like you only really need a head gasket. Do some recon and find out thwat your engines problems are and go from there. Replacing a bad engine with another engine that can be potentialy bad may leave you in the same position down the road. Find what your cars issues are and then fix or replace it. Its usually easier to fix the issue than to replace the entire motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.