Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, this is my first time as an O.P., but I have been reading on PP for quite a while. Just a few moments ago, my car completely lost power so let me try and describe this as best as I can. I had a hard time searching for something similar, so sorry if this has already been solved.

The story:

I had just turned a corner and was starting to accelerate around the guy in front of me.

I would say that my speed at the time of the incident was about 35 and my tach was around 4 grand, so I think I was in second gear.

All the sudden, I hear a loud "CLANK" proceed by a scraping sound. The sound was similar to if part of my exhaust had hit the ground and was dragging.

I was able to pull my car into a lot, without the use of power steering, so I assumed this incident killed the engine. I checked underneath and nothing was dragging. I looked into the engine bay, and it smelled of oil. I did notice the oil light come on right after the loud noise. When checking the oil, I noticed it right between the two dots, however, smoke was coming out of where the dipstick goes.

Some description of the car:
2000 SS Auto Prelude, Salvaged Title, 67,000 miles
Very minimal mods (intake, ebay header, cat) everything else stock, including exhaust after the cat.
I had just got the oil changed about 200 miles back.
I had hydrolocked the engine a few months back during some flooding, but was able to just dry out the filter, change spark plugs and oil and fire it up again.

I'm not very mechanically inclined so any assistance would be much appreciated. If you need more info, I'll try to answer as best as I can.

Regards,
Sad 5th Gen Owner

Edit: I didn't try starting it again in case it was something like the timing belt to avoid further damage to internals.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Good not starting it. First things first pop off the valve cover and make sure the timing belt is still in one piece. If so I would try to turn the engine over by hand, not the starter. Use the bolt on the crank pulley 19mm and only turn it counter-clockwise. I would pull the spark plugs out first to make it easier to turn, dont force it. Hopefully you didnt spin a bearing. you can drop the oil pan to confirm this. If all that looks well you can try to start it and see how it runs, maybe do a compression check. Maybe you had an axle give out? Make sure they are both still there, lol, although I dont see how that would kill your engine. Good luck!u

Edit: You can drain the oil and look for metal shavings before dropping the oil pan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks 88 - I'll definitely try popping it open, and if I find anything, I'll take a few pictures and post them.

Hydro - Thanks for the moral support!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Sounds bad. My crystal ball shows me a rebuild in your extrmely near future. I don't mean to be negative, but it kinda sounds like your engine is toast. I could be wrong, but loud clanking\ metal on metal scraping noises from the engine followed by smoke coming from the bottom end usually isn't a good sign. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
sucks mad bawls yo...
Worst post ever. :rolleyes:

For the OP, I would get the car home, pull the plugs then take a look down each spark plug hole. If all looks normal I would try to turn the engine by hand (the procedure for that is listed in the timing belt DIY). Slowly crank the engine by hand with the spark plugs out and feel for any binding. Also check to see that your timing belt is intact. If the engine turns relatively smoothly by hand I would then drain the oil and inspect it for metal shavings. Lastly on the "easy" list to do you could drop the oil pain and verify the lower end of the engine is OK. Beyond that you're better off taking it to a shop or pulling the head yourself.

·
Dented
724 Posts
Your bottom end isn't ok. Does anyone think that the hydrolocking might have had something to do with this? weakened the internals? It doesn't sound like a timing belt problem, and since you weren't doing anything with the ECU, detonation isn't likely.. what do your spark plugs look like?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the great ideas.

We went ahead and pulled the valve cover off last night.

Against my wishes, my more mechanically inclined friend had me turn it over... I should have stood my ground and said no, but its hard when you're the one with less information.

So despite this lack of courage, I'll report what he found. (I think he found this out because he was able to move the rocker arm up and down with no resistance)

If the piston set up is like below.

4---3---2---1

Then he said it appears that an intake valve on the first cylinder is stuck open.

Explanation of why we think it happened:
Three months ago when the floods happened around my area, I hyrdrolocked the engine. This caused water to rush in and misshapen the valves ever so slightly.... This valve probably became malformed enough that it stayed open, causing the piston to smash into it, bending it even more... that was probably the loud "CLANK" that I heard. So now I'm waiting till tomorrow to take it to my mechanic, as I no longer feel comfortable with anyone else doing anything, and see if I need a new engine, or if I need the head rebuilt (as my friend put it)

So things I'll work on before my next post:
Grabbing more courage
Getting pre-approved for a loan
Learning a little more about my H22

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll keep everyone post on my first bad engine experience.

Edit: I wasn't able to tear into things further because we had guests and all I had tool wise was a 10mm, a screwdriver, and a hammer. The tools weren't mine so I didn't really know where the spark plug remover was. The thing with the rubber on it. I'm sorry about my lack of car knowledge.

Edit #2: I completely neglected the timing belt issue. To my relief it is intact.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
My mechanic did some searching when my engine threw a rod and said he keeps hearing things about hydo locking an H22 may cause a rod to bend slightly weakening it. Then at a later point down the road *SNAP*.

Sorry to hear, hopefully it isn't as bad as mine was.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts