Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything was running fine, I stopped at the bank, come out got in the car, put it in reverse and turned to back up and I think I heard something (not sure) and put it in gear and my steering wheel is really hard to turn.

I checked the power steering fluid and it was topped off, so does anybody have any idea what the problem may be?

Its hard both ways, nearly impossible to turn the wheels when not in motion

this is the first time this has happened, I just want to ask to see if some1 else has experienced this and what their solution was.

I hope I dont have to go to the mechanic

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
i think your pump went bad

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
i think your pump went bad
+1 but check your belt(I'm sure you have already) When mine broke on me it did the same things your car is doing

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the belt is still there

which pump may be broken? Water pump?

How much does it usually run to have this fixed?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
water pump has nothing to do with your power steering. it would be the power steering pump which sits right above your alternator and has its own belt. You can do it yourself you just need a catch can, a new pump, and some honda power steering fluid and you are set. just pull the hose from the old pump and have the catch can under your car where it will drain so you dont kill fish. Once that is drained out loosen the belt using the tensioner on the pump, unbolt the pump from the bracket on the block, then install the new one, hook up the hose, and fill it up. After that attach the belt again and tighten it up make sure its at the right tension(any shop should do it for free) you should be able to get it close enough to drive to one to get them to adjust it for you, and you are done.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
water pump has nothing to do with your power steering. it would be the power steering pump which sits right above your alternator and has its own belt. You can do it yourself you just need a catch can, a new pump, and some honda power steering fluid and you are set. just pull the hose from the old pump and have the catch can under your car where it will drain so you dont kill fish. Once that is drained out loosen the belt using the tensioner on the pump, unbolt the pump from the bracket on the block, then install the new one, hook up the hose, and fill it up. After that attach the belt again and tighten it up make sure its at the right tension(any shop should do it for free) you should be able to get it close enough to drive to one to get them to adjust it for you, and you are done.

Awesome, Now that you mention it, are there supposed to be 2 belts ? one right above another?

Cos i see one belt (timing belt im guessing) and right above that there is another circle which has no belt, let me get a picture and see if you guys can find the problem.

EDIT: yeah Its missing a belt there, how can I put a new belt there? What kind of belt do I need

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
it looks like you broke your power steering belt. just go to auto zone or some other parts store and tell them you need a power steering belt for your prelude give them the engine info etc and then go put it on and get it tensioned.

Also, if you can see your timing belt thats bad. The other belt that you have coming off the crank pulley there is the alternator/ac belt.

·
Registered
575 Posts
man not trying to be a dick or any thing but it seems you have no mecanical skills. You cant even see your timing belt unles you pull off your valve cover. and your water pump is inside your timing cover so you cant see that at all eather. From the pic you showed your missing your power steering pump belt it must have broke off just go to the auto store pic up a new one and replace it and your power steering will be back in order

·
Back 2 Hackin
4,375 Posts
Would rack and pinon have cause a vibration noise if the PS belt wasnt on after a while?

Seprate issue

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey thanks for the info guys.

PS: I never claimed to have mechanical knowledge, which is why I made this thread so that you could enlighten me.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
You're in good shape, all you need is a new belt.

Once you get it, loosen the nut circled in blue a little bit, and then "loosen" the adjusting nut which is circled in red. This will move the pump downwards toward the crank pulley. You should be able to loop the belt around the crank pulley and the PS pump pulley eventually. Get it around the crank pulley first that will be the hard part. Then you just need to apply tension to it by "tightening" the adjusting nut. Proper tension is, iirc something like 1/4" or 1/2" deflection at the longest part of the belt when pressed. Then make sure you tighten up the nut in blue, you'll have to hold it on the other side as well to make sure it isn't just turning the bolt it's on.

And you should be good.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2286/1000610gw1fj4.jpg

GL

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
dunno if this has been resolved yet so i will throw out rack and pinion. had this happen before in a sharp turn. no fun at all
If you look at the two pics he posted up there it's pretty clear that his power steering belt is missing...

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Also if you have a shop handle it it's a 15 minute job, being generous.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Would rack and pinon have cause a vibration noise if the PS belt wasnt on after a while?

Seprate issue

didnt see where the op said it was making a vibrating noise? and my bad for not reading far enough down to see that he was missing a belt. i would have thought that would be one of the first things that you would check for when your steering goes out.:dontknow:

·
Back 2 Hackin
4,375 Posts
didnt see where the op said it was making a vibrating noise? and my bad for not reading far enough down to see that he was missing a belt. i would have thought that would be one of the first things that you would check for when your steering goes out.:dontknow:

He never did say it, thats why I said it was a seperate issue. My seperate issue. I was testing out how driving around without PS was, so I removed the belt. And after 5 or so days with no belt, I would start to get this grinding noise. And when I put the belt back on it would go away.

I had a crank pulley bolt shoot off, and Im still trying to figure why it did that, and if it was some how connected. Cause the scraping noice did come on just as the bolt blew, and the motor died.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
That is because when you remove the belt, you are disabling the pump. BUT, the rack still has to push the fluid through the power steering pump to operate. If you want to remove your power steering, you should remove the pump all together, then loop the inlet on the rack to the outlet on the rack so the fluid inside can circulate, and so it's easier to steer.

Driving around with the belt off and the power steering system still plumbed up causes a HUGE strain on the rack, and will lead to it failing prematurely. That grinding noise was because you were basically your rack starting to die.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts