Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I finally got my new Shift cable from Honda and swapped it out. Honda calls it a "change wire." I ordered it the 17th of November off of Honda's estore wesbsite; Which is pretty cool by the way. Thing is, price varied from dealership to dealership. Which worked out for me this time. A dealer in Austin Texas wanted over $400 for the part; Where as a dealership in Victoria (about an hour and half away) only charged me $282 AFTER Taxes. It finally got it the 5th of December. Apparently the part was on back order and the district warehouse had to wait for it to come from Japan. The cable is nice in the fact that it comes with all the brackets attached to it; making the installation "easier." But it was a BITCH to put in. Since its new cable; It DOES NOT want to bend or contort which you must do drascticley when you put this thing in. In all, its only 5 bolts and 3 cotter pins. But removing parts to clear up space in the engine bay takes some time as also getting to those pain in the ass few bolts. I have no f'ing clue as to how the right centerfuge cable snapped internally. When I bought the lude; I noticed the "short throw shifter adapter" when I replaced the shift boot. I suspect maybe something was done then that helped caused this; Or maybe even the shop that changed by clutch a year ago. Who knows; I just thought it was a little harder to break braded steel cable. Tell you what though, my car shifts in way that I've never had before. Its a very tight shift, and is much smoother. The difference is phenominal; So I think this was probably an issue when I bought the car years ago and it just degraded over time. Anyway, just thought I'd share. The point that broke goes on the right pivot peice right off the shifter assembley that moves forward and back.

New and old cables; Side by side:

Ending peices (old and new) that bolt to the shifter assembley:

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Yeah, those short shifter adapters basically raise the mounting position of the cable end, which could possibly put a bending tension on that area that broke.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I've been through this same experience. Got my cables for about 150 bucks shipped. Tis a bitch to put in but quite an experience. Every little thing you fix on your car gives you a chance to know your car much more inside and out.

·
Registered
904 Posts
so the story is. don't have a a short shifter. because there really isn't one out on the market yet. except pspec

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SAME exact spot mine snapped. I have a lean short throw shifter on mine. I hope you have small hands. Mine was time consuming to change out.
Well I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one this has happened too. Yeah, it was a bitch to change out. One of those parts where on the side on list of tools needed to change out there's a section that denotes how much cursing is required before the part will go in. I think I might need to "un mod" the short throw adapter from the person who owned the car before me. Thats the bad thing about the adapter; Its install point is put on by the user which leads to a possiblle margin of error. Where as a true short shifter is made with the points exact from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Thats the bad thing about the adapter; Its install point is put on by the user which leads to a possiblle margin of error. Where as a true short shifter is made with the points exact from the manufacturer.
Not really... It wasn't a result of the person installing anything wrong. There is no margin of error with the short throw adapter. It goes on one way, and one way only. The reason it works is because it raises where the cable attaches to it, which is where the problem lies. That causes that cable to have to bend up a little compared to the OEM mounting point. Which not only causes some flexing tension, but it will rub right at the point it enters the cable sleeve. Which will eventually result in a broken cable.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
yep. when i bought my lean short throw shifter i had 17,000 on the car. My cable broke around 80,000 miles. When i purchesed the lean shifter i was under the impression that it was just as good as oem. Eh, or maybe i'm just too hard on my car.

·
Registered
581 Posts
i didnt know the adapters caused the shift cable to rub, i just got the adapter to tide me over til i got a pspec.

guess that gives me somethin to do over winter break lol

·
Registered
395 Posts
so its better off leaving the shifter stock then can use a dapter nor the pspec ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been through this same experience. Got my cables for about 150 bucks shipped. Tis a bitch to put in but quite an experience. Every little thing you fix on your car gives you a chance to know your car much more inside and out.
Where did you order your cables from?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Where did you order your cables from?
Few months ago I went thru the same experience and got cables from Honda for about $300. Only put few hundred miles on them and start building a turbo.... Right now I'm at the point of keeping the lude and finish it up or part it out and sell all those performance parts I just recently bought brand new :sad:
If you not in rush and willing to wait couple more weeks I might be able to sell it to you, but again - I'm not sure yet if that will happen or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
for the Accords and Preludes the short shifter
adapter only raises the height of one cable which attaches the lever for your up and down movement(1st to 2nd, 3rd to 4th) it does raise significantly high that the center console may rub and u may notice tighter shifts but also more friction with the motion. on my accord i fixed that issue by bending that cables mounting point bracket to match the new angle better but i also did the drop bucket mod which lowers the entire shifter(this required hammering down the sheet metal tunnel so it can sit lower)

On some models the shifter assembly had two parts the main mounting bracket that bolts the entire shifter assembly and holds cables but the shifter lever bucket part bolted on to the bracket as another part this is the one that can do the drop bucket mod by adding spacers or bunch of washers which bring the shifter lever unit lower into the chassis bracket relevant to the cables bracket mount point in conjunction with using the short throw adapter but you also need to make that side lever for the 2nd cable a little taller also no one makes a adapter for that the one i got was metal(some are plastic) so i just welded an extension so my shifter is lower to the center console and is very close in all movement left to right up and down. like shifting is a simple flick a the wrist at all gears and its smooth as its all in alignment. In the pictures compared the shifter units, one is a one piece design the other is two pieces the shifter bucket can seperate this is the advantage unit that you can lower.

If you just keep stock shifter but use the short shift adapter it only gives u the up down throws not left to right and it will eventually brake cable cuz the angle unmatched.

heres a link: Prelude ShortShift Mod

·
Registered
3 Posts
RSX billet shifter,RSX cables and h22 transmission adaptor for the cables.The centre console has to be cut up front to make it fit over the shifter.right now I just leave it without the console until I buy another one that I can cut up to make it fit.Will post pictures.Where the shift cables go through the floor U have to figure out how your going to seal that hole in the floor.Shifter feels great!

·
Administrator
6,864 Posts
Just pointing out, this thread has been dead for over 7 years. I wouldn't expect responses from those that likely no longer own their Prelude.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts