Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
101 Freeway in L.A. 10pm, 91 si dies at 80 mph. D'oh! Turned out the rotor broke off and rattled around inside the cap! Anyone else had this happen? Very weird! $30 new cap n rotor later and I'm on my way. I'm glad it wasn' t the timing belt breaking! It has 40K on it and I was hoping to wait til 60K to replace it...

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
nope never heard of that happening before. does the distributor have a lot of play in the shaft? it may have caused the rotor to come in contact with one of the contact points in the cap breaking it off.
or the screw came loose and it rode its way up the shaft or just spun free

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, no play at all. I didn't see a screw, so if it ever had one, it fell off. It was dark, so it may have fallen off when I took off the cap on the side of the road.

I'm wondering if the distributor was changed though, -- the rotor (both the old and the new) didn't line up with the flat part of the shaft. I just forced it on until the hole lined up so I could put the screw in. It's on tight, but the shapes aren't aligned. (Dunno how to explain this)

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
they always have lock screws. and they always go on somewhat tight, or should at least. and i doubt the distributor was swapped, cuz theres none they could be swapped with except another 3g distributor lol.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's VERY tight. I had to use a hammer to pound it on. I used a screw and a locking washer on the new one.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
wow, um, okaaaay lol. they're not supposed to be so tight that you need to hammer them on lol. maybe thats why your other one cracked? cuz it was on there so tight when it got hot it fractured

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I had to tap it and tap it till it went on. Part of it was that when the old rotor broke, it damaged the shaft. The metal inside of the rotor separated from the plastic part and the whole thing scored the shaft and made burrs on it.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Never seen a prelude one snap off, but my dads integra had the dist. bearings go bad and generate enough heat to melt his rotor, that was nice and weird :p

Some of the prelude rotors are very tight though, i have seen that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had to deal with it roadside in the middle of the night... I used a screwdriver to scrape what I could on the shaft, then banged it on there.

Seems to be running well--in fact it takes fewer cranks to start than it did before, --when it was cold it used to take 8-12 cranks, now maybe 3.

·
Registered
840 Posts
hah...my lude never starts on the dot when its cold..in the morning , though when its warm it starts on the first turn. Cold id say maybe 5-10turns, and also i recall when i took off the first few times with the new clutch system i chocked it down to like 200rpm and the damn bitch didnt die.it shook like crazy lol but refused to die...and this was quite a few times....i know a carb system woulda died :grin:

edit: and oh ..does it ever happend to you guys that when you park the car and turn off the ignition key you realize in like 1second that your windows are still down so you turn you ignition back on real quick and the engine starts right back up from almost complete shutoff ..lmfao i love it when it happens...wut a persistent ecu.....

·
Registered
172 Posts
LoL.. I'd actually have to say that this has happened to me before and I was like wow.. Didn't know cause my brother was like where you going! and I was just putting my windows up.. Funny...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmm never happens to me. I wish i had pdl tho, it has every option except that, for some reason. Honda wants $800 to add pdl.

·
Registered
840 Posts
power door locks? ..i thought power " doorlocks is when your locks both open andclose when u turn the key in one of the doors...mine does so i assume thats power door locks..fuck remotes

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mine have no power whatsoever. you have to lock and unlock each one manually, either with the key or from inside. I was just wondering if the wiring is all there, what I have to buy, i guess 2 motors, some hardware, switches, and mabye some wiring??

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
HA! had something JUST like this happen to me yesterday at lunch. I left work picked up lunch stopped at a store came back out car started fine I start goin and it just goes pop pop pop die. so I roll into a parking spot and figure it out a few min later that the rotor screw is gone and the rotor is just sitting there. Got to walk my happy ass all the way to the auto parts store. as for it breaking thats real odd but you prolly had the same problem as me. the screw backed out and then caught on something and shredded the rotor

·
Registered
458 Posts
That has happened to me as well. One day I was driving home and at a red light the car just died. I was like WTF, so I tired to start the car back and at the third try the engine light came on. Some guy helped me push the car into a parking lot and it took me 20min to figure it out. When I started the car the engine light was still on and the car could not rev pass 4.5k. I took it to a mechanic and said that the car was running in safe mode and that I needed a new distributor. So a trip to the junkyard and $80 later the lude was back in action.

·
Registered
159 Posts
yes it has happened to me, not going that fast though, the screw broke and all hell broke loose, i was stuck in the ghetto of indianapolis, not a cool place to be, haha. so i went ahead and baught all new plugs and wires and cap and rotor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts