Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello PreludePower, here's my B20A3 daily driver that I bought on December 31st, 2012.

Back when I first got her:

First pic sent to me from the original owner at 162k before purchase:

My car as of September 8, 2014 (wasn't washed in this pic):

Exterior:
'90 2.0Si passenger foglight with '88 2.0Si yellow cap conversion
'93 VW Jetta sedan front lip
'90 Accord CB7 sideskirts
'95 Accord CD5 rear lip
Weathertech window visors
'01 Integra polished GSR Blades

Interior:
Alpine speakers
Pioneer deck
Stock manual windows/side mirrors
Giant lame wink mirror that I began to love from daily driving
Black Crown Royal shiftboot that has been done a million times
OEM clock with clock door intact FTW!:headbang:

Engine:
Rebuilt B20A3 SOHC with Dual Keihin Sidedraft Carburetors
Full tune-up
New radiator hoses all around
JR Spring mod
Polished valve cover
Modified stock intake (RISC intake equivalent)
K&N air filter

Exhaust:
Stock exhaust manifold
California legal catalytic converter (that didn't even help me pass smog:-?)
PaceShitter catback exhaust

Suspension:
Ksport Kontrol Pro coilovers
Moog front upper/lower balljoints
Moog front lower control arm bushings
CTR rear upper/lower balljoints
'93 Integra DA9 C-Pillar bar

One of the first aftermarket pieces I got were some projectors and HID's:

Taken with Instagram lolOl0l^^^

Found some foglights at a local junkyard :3 also got a sweet deal from a co-worker of mine that sold me some Ford GT wheels off his Civic wagovan; it was a bit of an odd combination to me at first but it grew on me:

Currently she is in the garage, non-operational due to a thrown rod. She will be back on the road soon though, just waiting on the machine shop to finish up. I plan on keeping it carb'ed, eventually upgrading to better carbs with a new intake manifold when I make more money. I have an '86 Si to work on eventually as well if I ever decide to do a fuel-injected build, but as of now my main focus is just getting this car back on the road lol the '86 needs a lot of work on it at the moment.

Update as of 9/19/2013:
Got the new suspension installed today, found out that my two front OEM springs had been rusted and cracked at the top the whole time I've owned the car. next on the list is installing the new exhaust and clutch. After that it's back to the waiting game again for my engine to come back from the machine shop :( been over a month now since it got dropped off there!

Update as of 10/30/2013:
Have been slacking on all updates, focusing more so on getting it running and searching up threads on here to have some extra help and knowledge. Engine is now back in the car in working order. New clutch installed, everything hooked up ready to go. Radiator and water pipe hoses have been changed along with the thermostat. Everything is in working order aside from a leak in the oil pan gasket, it slipped out and got oil everywhere. Will be installing the new one tomorrow in the correct procedure and hopefully everything will go smoothly from there. Fingers crossed that I will be able to put her back in gear tomorrow! I also ordered some window visors from Weathertech as a little treat for myself hehe :)

Update as of 9/30/2014:
Been busy with school and photoshoots a lot this year. The car is running great for the most part, still stalls in the mornings but after driving for about fifteen minutes straight it runs and idles fine. Biggest upgrade so far is the suspension; no more Ground Control sleeves on stock shocks, but upgraded to Ksports, and changed out all my old balljoints! Used my whole tax return from last year and I have to make monthly payments to my parents for helping me out with a couple hundred bucks because I couldn't wait but it was definitely worth it. Such a greater improvement over the previous setup. Also hopefully might be buying a 91 Si parts car soon from my neighbor for $300 if everything works out; thinking of ditching the carbs, swapping the B21A1 head onto my block and converting to FI. I'm just going to keep this as my daily driver now and save up for a RWD car to build next. I also installed a CD5 rear lip and plan to install CD5 sideskirts as well in the future since I fucked up on cutting the CB7 skirts I have right now. They fit well but I didn't account for the sideskirts and it looks ghetto-rigged from the side. Earlier this year I also picked up a spare set of Keihins from frijoles to help me better understand how they work, I will be posting a write-up soon to help some people synchronize their carbs without the rare tools needed to do so after I am sure of the adjustments needed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys :) ever since I got this, I've fallen in love with third gens! I plan on getting an upgraded camshaft, different pistons, and going with four carbs instead of two. I'd like to keep this car carb'd; even though it won't be as fast as a fuel-injected built lude I think it's pretty cool to have a carb third Gen. I hardly ever see third gens anywhere where I live, I haven't seen one single carb lude in person other than mine. For now it's just my daily though. I have a paceshitter exhaust and an LSD motorsports clutch ready to be installed when it's up and running again as well. I'm going to buy some Ground Control sleeves pretty soon too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay an update on the progress of my car is long over due. I got her fixed and running on November 27th, 2013 thanks to the help of the 3rd gen forum and have been happily driving her around.

Suspension is going pretty good so far. The only time it sucks ass is if I'm going too fast over a pothole or bump but there's no worry for that because I drive really slow all the time anyway lol.

I'm taking the plasti-dip off the bumper soon. I got bored of it. That x over the foglight is now gone as well. Simple and clean is the way to go for me now. Right now I'm polishing up the GSR blades a bit, one wheel done so far.

They didn't get the mirror-like finish I had hoped for, but I don't mind. It's less flashy and less likely for them to get jacked off my car (happens often where I live). My car's already been broken into, kinda sucks really. They stole my D3100, a phone, a bunch of stuff I bought from O'Reilly's hours before, and my tools. Not much I can do about it at this point.

Anywhoo, all in all the car's doing great. New water pump and timing belt, new gaskets and o-rings, new valve seals, etc. It's nice being able to look under the car and not see any oil stains on the floor.

I've recently been tinkering around with little things out of boredom as well, I removed the plastic air box and air suction valve and get a badass sound from the carbs with WOT. Along with the catback I have, it really sounds fucking great. I honestly like the sound of my engine more compared to my brother's S2000 up there... still wish I owned one though lol. I've been on the hunt for a 1st gen Integra lip and a way to make a high flow intake like the one TripleLude made a while back, I've been real eager to hear what it would sound like but don't have access to the tools to do the mod myself.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Decided to keep my blades and polish them instead of trading for Axis OG's. Happy with the result after using a quality polish instead of some old crappy polish that was laying around in the garage.

All in all I spent about $40 to get them looking that shiny. Not bad at all compared to taking them to a shop for over $300. The pics don't do them justice because they were taken from my cellphone, I will upload some high quality ones when I finish the last passenger side wheel. Ran out of 180 grit sandpaper lol

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
Looking real good! Im digging the black housed headlights as well. If I was to ever own a 3rd gen having the headlights retrofitted would be one of the first mods. Keep up the good work. Keep up with the updates! :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking real good! Im digging the black housed headlights as well. If I was to ever own a 3rd gen having the headlights retrofitted would be one of the first mods. Keep up the good work. Keep up with the updates! :)
Thank you! Unfortunately I had been having problems with HID's and have reverted back to the stock housings :( I have not gotten around to fixing whatever the issue may be. Three pairs in already I got tired of it and decided not to deal with it anymore.

Next on the list is an alignment, fix the 2500 RPM exhaust rattle, and figure out what my idle issues may be on startup. I took a great photo showing how shiny the blades came out that I will be uploading soon!

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Too bad about the HIDs! If you want a bit more light more easily, there's always Silverstars for $20-25 each.

Wheels look good, I am glad you stuck with them. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Andrew! I've thought about getting Silverstars before as well, I really miss having my black housings in.

High def pics!

My new favorite photo so far hehe :D

I realize there's a scratch up there on that wheel. Couldn't get them all back in immaculate shape because I sanded by hand, but I'm still very happy with how they came out. My brother didn't take care of them at all when he had them on his teg, I decided to show them some love lol. He did try polishing them by hand like I did at one time, but he eventually said fuck it and left them dirty.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Changed both front axles, both tie rods, passenger side inner CV driveshaft seal. Slowly restoring this thing back to life. Ordered a C-pillar bar that should be coming in next week. May buy a rear strut bar off a member here on PP when I have the money.

Tachometer is starting to crap out on me. Still have idle issues on startup where the engine stalls before it is at full temperature, therefore I have to wait a few minutes pressing the throttle before I start driving. I'd like to get my HID's back in soon, really missing the brightness and black headlight housings.

·
Memento Mori
7,509 Posts
You said shit gets stolen often where you live, these old Hondas are very easy to steal. Put a kill switch on your fuel pump power wire and hide the switch somewhere other than underneath the drivers dash. Get in the habit of always setting it when you leave the car. Shouldn't cost more than $20 and half a days work tops.

This simple mod literally saved my lude from being stolen when I lived in Cali.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You said shit gets stolen often where you live, these old Hondas are very easy to steal. Put a kill switch on your fuel pump power wire and hide the switch somewhere other than underneath the drivers dash. Get in the habit of always setting it when you leave the car. Shouldn't cost more than $20 and half a days work tops.

This simple mod literally saved my lude from being stolen when I lived in Cali.
Thanks MustardCat, will do. My dad was telling me to do that too but I never got around to it. I leave my car parked at train stations parked for several hours at a time and always worry about it being stolen or messed with while I'm at school.

My car's already been broken into and a lot of my shit got jacked. I honestly think they may have tried to steal the car too. When I tried to start the car after it happened I had issues cranking it and the starter made a loud buzzing noise (don't know what the correct term for it is). When I did start it up it immediately died right after because I hadn't had my idle screws set properly yet and that may have discouraged them from taking it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Looking good dude, sorry to hear about it getting broken into.... sounds like it happens a lot in Cali in general. Digging the look of the blades, one day last week I was just thinking that I'd like to rock blades on mine as a temporary upgrade then I saw your thread right after that. Real clean.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
September 30, 2014 update at bottom of first post.

Nice to see someone else building up a 2.0 S.
lol I was having a lot of fun with the 2.0S motor. I'm thinking of swapping the B21A1 head to my block now though. My neighbor has a '91 Si parts car I could buy for cheap off him and I'd have essentially everything I'd need to convert my car. I'm going to miss the bark of the carbs though if everything goes through well!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh man you came back from being missing just as I did haha. By the way, what brand is your C-pillar bar? Was it a straight fit even though it's meant for a DA9?
I bought it off of eBay for 20 bucks. It's adjustable so I didn't have any problems with fitment, just had to remove the seatbelt covers at the top. I tried finding it again just now but I don't see it up there anymore, but I have a hunch the adjustable 88-91 Civic C-pillar bars might be the same thing. It didn't have a brand name on it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Still have idle issues on startup where the engine stalls before it is at full temperature, therefore I have to wait a few minutes pressing the throttle before I start driving.
Hi, nice build thread bro!

I just inherited a 1990 2.0s recently and intend to do some similar mods...

But, main my reason for replying is to ask if you managed to sort out the engine stalling on "cold" start issue. I have what seems like the exact same thing. From what I have been reading, maybe adjusting the fast idle and/or the choke will help..?

A mechanic told me part of my carburetor might be gummed up and I should try a carburetor cleaner. A 2nd mechanic said one third of my carburetor is dead. -Not sure I fully believe either of the two, as neither seemed all too confident about this oldschool variety of carb.

Wish someone local here would know how to tune this carb to get me more hp! lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts