Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i got my 1997 prelude base model a couple weeks ago. and like a week or so ago i noticed it making a grinding noise whenever i shifted into third. it goes into third without any struggle or much needed force, it just makes a painful grinding noise. but it doesnt always do it, its only starts after i have driven for like 5 miles, and if i shift under 3500rpms it wont do it ever, its when i hit 4000rpms it grinds. does anyone know what this is? i dont know very much about transmissions. also, when i got it my speakers on the left side didnt work (front back and tweeters), and its too cold outside for me to care enough to check the fuses, but what do you guys think? is it a fuse? other than that im loving my lude and i cant wait for it to finally be warm again so i can work on it :colgate: im unfortunate and dont have an attached garage... thanks to anyone that can help.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The grinding either means the clutch is not disengaging properly, or its the synchros (internal) for the transmission.

Does it ONLY do it for 3rd? Im not too sure, but wouldn't faulty disengagement be noticeable for every gear? Regardless, check to see that the clutch reservoir has enough liquid. Also check for leaks near the master and slave cylinders. (see 5 speed swap link in signature for pictures.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The grinding either means the clutch is not disengaging properly, or its the synchros (internal) for the transmission.

Does it ONLY do it for 3rd? Im not too sure, but wouldn't faulty disengagement be noticeable for every gear? Regardless, check to see that the clutch reservoir has enough liquid. Also check for leaks near the master and slave cylinders. (see 5 speed swap link in signature for pictures.)
yeah only in third gear. how hard are synchros to replace yourself? would you recommend taking it to a shop and how much would a shop charge?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts