Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 93 prelude with a 95 JDM H22A swap. It's probably got about 80-100K on the engine and tranny. Well, almost 2 years ago I was driving it down the street when it died at a red light. It was also stuck in 1st gear and I had to give it a good tug to get it into neutral. I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but the battery seemed to have died at the same time. I had to have it towed home. Now when I started the engine, I could hear a metal on metal scraping/whining noise. If I tried to push in the clutch it would start to bog and try to die and I physically can't put it in 1st. I pulled the tranny and replaced the flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. I put the tranny back on and everything back together. Start it up and it still does the exact same thing as before. When the engine is off I can push in the clutch, and change to any of the gears just fine. I tried replacing the clutch slave cylinder, same thing still. When I pulled it to replace the clutch I drained it. It had a little over a quart of MTF in it. I put two bottles of Honda MTF in it when I put it back in. Does it sound like my tranny is locked up or something? I had to pull it on a dolly behind a U-Haul when I moved from Florida back here to Texas and it's been out of commission for almost 2 years. The engine runs like a dream and she's my only means of transportation so I'm eager to get this working again.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Transmissions are expensive for H22's... Especially an LSD one.. I paid $700 for a used non-lsd tranny with 130k.

·
boosting in progress
169 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I'm going to pick up the lude tomorrow and bring it into my dad's shop so I can take a look at it. Now I have been doing some studying and research in the meantime and I have a couple of ideas. The clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate that I recently installed in it were not stock (I was running a stock flywheel with an ACT clutch before.) Now since they are not stock could it be possible that there is a difference in the engagement from the pedal? I've heard of people having to adjust the clutch pedal where it connects to the master cylinder and / or putting a washer or something between the rod on the slave cylinder and the throwout fork to space it out some. Might these tricks work in my situation? I really feel like the tranny is still good because it will go into gear with the engine off just fine, but if the engine is running and with the clutch pedal pushed in it just feels like the clutch isn't disengaged all the way. Also, I'll probably take a good look at the clutch master cylinder and try to determine if it needs replacing. The cheapest one I could find was like almost $70 at autozone, is there a cheaper place I could get a new one from?

·
I Miss My BB2 :'(
3,589 Posts
Ok, I'm going to pick up the lude tomorrow and bring it into my dad's shop so I can take a look at it. Now I have been doing some studying and research in the meantime and I have a couple of ideas. The clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate that I recently installed in it were not stock (I was running a stock flywheel with an ACT clutch before.) Now since they are not stock could it be possible that there is a difference in the engagement from the pedal? I've heard of people having to adjust the clutch pedal where it connects to the master cylinder and / or putting a washer or something between the rod on the slave cylinder and the throwout fork to space it out some. Might these tricks work in my situation? I really feel like the tranny is still good because it will go into gear with the engine off just fine, but if the engine is running and with the clutch pedal pushed in it just feels like the clutch isn't disengaged all the way. Also, I'll probably take a good look at the clutch master cylinder and try to determine if it needs replacing. The cheapest one I could find was like almost $70 at autozone, is there a cheaper place I could get a new one from?
damn i hate to hear that man. i dont know what the problem is but i hope you get it fixed soon.

as for the master cylinder here is one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAN...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

if i was you i would go with an h23 tranny if you do end up having to get a new one. everyone says the h23 tranny is a good tranny and it will bolt up to your h22.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I had a chance to check everything out a bit more. I checked the master cylinder and it was fine, building full pressure and no leaks. I tried adjusting the clutch pedal. I still couldn't get the clutch to disengage. I jacked up the front weeks off the ground and then it went into gear just fine while running, but the wheels spin even with the clutch pedal to the floor. I tried pushing the clutch pedal while somebody else used a pry bar to push on the clutch fork (to see if the throwout bearing was going all the way against the pressure plate. Even with the pry bar pushing it all the way over, it still won't disengage. I can only assume that the brand new clutch that I just put in has broken, or lost a spring and has jammed up. I wish there was a way to see the clutch from outside the transmission, but I guess I will be forced to pull the tranny yet again and see wtf is going on before I lose my freaking mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts