Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so about a month and a half to two months ago i bent all my valves and swapped my head with a used one i picked up from the guy i bought my car from. after i was done i took it to honda to have them get it in time and make sure everything checked out ok on that head. About 3 weeks later while i was driving it i noticed the RPM's would drop way low and it would almost die it actully died once on me but fired right back up and never died again. A little while after that about 2 more weeks i gave her some gas because i had not hit vtec in awhile and when i got to crossover the RPM's jumped at about 6 grand and shot to 8 i thought it was kinda odd but it stopped doing it so i thought nothing of it. Then a couple weeks later it would start doing it right at crossover and now when i first start her up and drive her it will be fine till it starts warming up then it will go crazy of the whole range from 2 grand on and sometimes at idle then as soon as it warms up really good it will completly stop the problem and be fine?????? i dont get this car it drives me NUTS... i have seen alot of threads with people having this problem but none of them sound exactly like this. the cap and rotor on the dizzy are brand new the spark plugs where changed about a week ago and the wires are farily new egr valve was changed and the IAC and throttle body was cleaned by honda.

oh and when i was driving one night it was doing its thing so i shut off the A/C all the fans unpluged my radar detictor and shut off the radio no electronics where on but my head lights and it made it alot worse it
sounds like a ground wire but im not sure witch one....

thanks for the help guys i have figured out alot because of you help so lets do it again lol

also their are no codes i even checked for codes to see if it threw one without the light and it said i had passed no codes returned and the car is stuttering real bad...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
so i have been outside messing with it it is now burning oil BAD and im getting about 16 mpg.... how does the car act if it is not hitting vtec because of low oil??? i checked my main ground and also the ignitor inside the distributor they all looked like they had a good connection....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so im pretty sure it is the cam sensor does anyone know if a 99-2001 honda accord distributor will work on it????

·
Registered
43 Posts
well if you were low on oil when you hit vtec it would run vtec to maybe 6200 rpm and stutter during and act as if you redlined at 6200 rpm, but that wouldnt cause the rest of your issues...?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
if i wanted a lesson on grammer i would be in english class not on a car forum...

it was because it was low on oil i added 3 QT'S i guess its burning it up alot faster with this head on it but ya if anybody else experiences this check your oil first lol i got lucky their was no oil on my dipstick and it lasted for awhile like that i didnt expect it so be something as simple as that. but she is running like a champ again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts