Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my dipstick this morning only to find that I had to add 1 litre of oil. I had changed my oil 1200 kms ago. Then when my friend and I were driving to go pick up rotors and pads for my Prelude, he was driving behind me and noticed that I had blue smoke coming out of my tail pipe. It wasn't coming out as a constant flow, but only when I was shifting gears.

Now, I know I had said when I first posted about my Prelude that the piston rings were replaced, it seems that there is more of a problem. The last owner of my Prelude told me that the rings were replaced and that she was burning oil until they were replaced.

With all of that being said, the only way to figure out if the rings are done is to do a compression test. More then likely the rings are done. This gives me more then enough reason to start investing in a H22. I have the infamous B21A1 engine and she has over 255, 000 kms on her. Therefore, there is no point in rebuilding her, especially with all of the wear and tear on her.

Lastly, I will do whatever it is that I have to do in order to get her fixed. This car is so much fun to drive and I really like her.

·
Preludepower Member
2,656 Posts
Welcome to the b21a1, "club."

If you love your Prelude, you will do 2k oil changes on the dot.
If you love your Prelude, you will order a JDM b20a on the dot.
:p

·
Registered
840 Posts
haha ..i thoguht i was the only one left out of the water....but i guess i was wrong till i recently discovered that my baby's startin to burn up also....Thank GOD its not visible yet but it burns it alright...about 1/4 quart every 500miles....not bad at all for 145k miles :grin: i hope it wont get worse

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
well i dont think it will get better. but i will pray for u. mine has 82k and doesnt burn anything and my 88 with a b21swap(i had a spare lol) has 109k and doesnt burn any either. i hope they have some ways to go...

·
Registered
780 Posts
Prelude4ws13 said:
Welcome to the b21a1, "club."

If you love your Prelude, you will do 2k oil changes on the dot.
If you love your Prelude, you will order a JDM b20a on the dot.
:p

i second that..:turn:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
butterthegreat said:
Regardless, I am going to swap for a H22. But, I did read your solution (s) and they will give me some time until I can afford a H22. I have a question though, what is the final verdict as far as what is the best combo to retard our engines from burning oil (besides the swap and changing the rings)?

By the way, thank you for the information and nice writeups.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Prelude of Red said:
Regardless, I am going to swap for a H22. But, I did read your solution (s) and they will give me some time until I can afford a H22. I have a question though, what is the final verdict as far as what is the best combo to retard our engines from burning oil (besides the swap and changing the rings)?

By the way, thank you for the information and nice writeups.
With my latest test I had good results. I took it a step further and added 60% (~2 quarts lucas, 2 1/2 synthetic oil) lucas oil stabilizer, and the rest 5w-50 catrol full synthetic, and I have only burned 1/8 a quart of oil in 3000 miles.

butterthegreat said:
Latest test:

Lucas Oil stabilizer with Castrol Fully Synthetic 5w-50

Best combo ever. I have driven 2000 miles since my last oil change and I have only burned 1/4 a quart. That's with 80 mph continuous & 85+ speeds....mostly short bursts.

It's an expensive oil change for me because of how far I drive, but good thing the red lude isn't driven that often anymore.....Woot! Still can't wait for the rebuild...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
butterthegreat said:
With my latest test I had good results. I took it a step further and added 60% (~2 quarts lucas, 2 1/2 synthetic oil) lucas oil stabilizer, and the rest 5w-50 catrol full synthetic, and I have only burned 1/8 a quart of oil in 3000 miles.
I did read that part, but I thought that you did more tests as that thread is quite old. Nonetheless, I will keep all of this information close at hand and possibly do a premature oil change just to keep the problem at bay.

As I said in an earlier post, thank you for the information, thank you for taking the time to respond, and thank you for the writeup.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Prelude of Red said:
I did read that part, but I thought that you did more tests as that thread is quite old. Nonetheless, I will keep all of this information close at hand and possibly do a premature oil change just to keep the problem at bay.

As I said in an earlier post, thank you for the information, thank you for taking the time to respond, and thank you for the write up.
The last test was January this year....so it's not too old.

And no problem. That's what this site is here for.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
butterthegreat said:
The last test was January this year....so it's not too old.

And no problem. That's what this site is here for.
So, is the ratio 60/40 Lucas stabilizer/5w-50 Full Synthetic?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Prelude of Red said:
So, is the ratio 60/40 Lucas stabilizer/5w-50 Full Synthetic?
Roughly.

2 1/2q lucas
2q 5w-50 synthetic

1 - 15 of 15 Posts