Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...I got my prelude out of the shop last thurs. which was 2 days ago! Well..I drove it quite a bit since then....NO PROBLEMS whatsover at all....well today around about 6pm I'm on the way back home (luckily about 2 min away from the shop so I don't have to pay a towing fee)..and 1st my cruise control doesnt work, I'm like wtf...then my radar detector cuts on and off about 4 different times...then my cd player skips and skips and skips...then my Check engine light cuts on and my car bogs out of control again!

I try to make it to the shop.........whooo thank god I made it there and parked my car. I cut it off, tried to crank it up..it whined a little and cranked, I reved it up and let it smooth out. It sounded just fine! I cut it off again and re-cranked it! What do u know the CEL blinks on and my car bogs away again!! So I kill the car again and re-crank it and instead of firing right up it whimpers slooowwwwly and cranks up and then I cut it off again.....it now sounds like(u know when u got a remote control car and the battery is dying all the way and its a slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww whining noise like rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr?) Well that's what my car sounded like while I was trying to turn it over and then it stopped all the way and a CLICK noise was made, then nothing..won't crank up or make any noise....WTF could cause this?? Bad alternator?( It will not crank at all...just make that remote control dying noise while trying to turn it over)

I got my gf to try turning it over while I listened under the hood and this is where I heard the noise coming from(in the Blue):

Sorry, I know I will sound sorta like a dumbass when i ask...does anyone know what the round like green thing is that I have circled in yellow? Could that be what is bad?
All help is welcome...thanks everyone!!!!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Sounds kind of like your alternator's dead. When you put the key in ON position (not START), does the battery light come on along with the CEL and oil lights? Does the battery light turn back off when you get the car started?

I think your alt's dead and thus you were driving on battery spark. Not the best way to get revs :/

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:dontgetit: Yea...my battery light will also stay on the whole time when the car actually ran. It would blink lightly and stay on...sometimes it would stay off. Well, when I put it in the on position everything lights up and the check engine light cuts off...then when I crank it up everything cuts off except the battery light...maybe 1 out of 75 times the battery light will actually cut off along with everything else when I start it! I think the alternator and starter both need to be replaced! Would this cause all of this bogging to happen out of nowhere while driving down the road?

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
i had the same problem. in the starter sometimes the shaft that engauges to the tranny doesnt wanna come out. so u hear the motor turning just not pushing out the shaft to enguage it...so i just swapped housings and used an automatic starter i had laying around...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Definitely! If the battery light stays on while you're driving, it means that all the power for your lights, spark, fuel delivery (PGM-FI means you need to power a computer for fuel injection...) is coming from the battery! Your alternator is dead, get the brushes replaced ($5 and an hour of labor, do it yourself).

Your starter is not dead, it simply can't turn over because it's not getting enough power!
Why is it not getting power? Because your battery is dead!
Why is your battery dead? Because you drove it with the alternator dead!
Why is your alternator dead? Because the brushes are worn out!
Why are they worn out? Because they're... old.

·
Registered
54 Posts
yeah i had that prob with my accord recently when i left my lights on bushgardens, *ouch* some guy in a van jumped me and my batt ligth was on the hole time, then my car started flipping out, it was my alt =(

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Alternator went out end of story. The noise coming from the green thing (your starter) was the starter cranking....wich its supposed to do. How fast it cranks depends on how much juice its given. Being you drove your battery dead due to a bad alternator it doesnt have much juice. Change out the alternator (pep boys, autovalue, napa, advanced auto parts, etc.) and you will be good to go. You have the C3G guarantee!

hell, where in NC are you i'll put the damn thing in for you so that shop doesnt charge ya for labor.

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
Clean3rdGen said:
Alternator went out end of story. The noise coming from the green thing (your starter) was the starter cranking....wich its supposed to do. How fast it cranks depends on how much juice its given. Being you drove your battery dead due to a bad alternator it doesnt have much juice. Change out the alternator (pep boys, autovalue, napa, advanced auto parts, etc.) and you will be good to go. You have the C3G guarantee!

hell, where in NC are you i'll put the damn thing in for you so that shop doesnt charge ya for labor.
sounds reassuring:turn:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I wouldn't change the alternator out entirely. For one thing, it's like $150. Also, according to the symptoms, it sounds like just the brushes (flickering on and off, sometimes working). Brushes are $5 and there's a write-up around here on how to replace the brushes. I did this when my alt when out, and it's been working a charm for the last 10k miles.

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
:lol: i remember that, i think the beer changed you....

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm just going to say the hell with it and buy a new alternator, it probably wouldn't hurt to get a new one anyways...my uncle is going to come out to my house and I'm going to get the alternator at a store that has it in stock, then he will take me to my car and put it on for me...I don't want to attempt something that I don't know how to do..plus I'm not good with the whole belt thing also...he will easily be able to swap it out probably in less than 30 min..as compared to me probably taking about 2 hrs or more...just to make sure I'm doing it right,lol...I'll keep u guys updated on the progress.........(if any)!

:sigh: PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!

Damn...it's sad to say that allllllllllllllllllllll of this shit boiled down to the fact that my battery was dying! It was completely dead when my car wouldn't turn over. I took the alternator to get it checked...it works just fine! I took the battery to get it checked and it was deader than a doornail! I got one free of charge!!:) :) :) I thought it cost $165, but it cost around $140...and I had a 6yr warranty on it and I've only had it 7 months and the damn thing died...I thought optima red top was one of the top dogs of batteries!! Well, my uncle was fucked up when installing my alternator...so the belt is squeeling...I will just get the shop to fix it..cuz I don't feel like fucking with it and I'm tired of things not being done properly! So anyways, the car fires right up now without hesitation and NO battery light whatsoever cuts on now....:tongue2:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Better get that belt tightened ASAP cause by slipping it will undercharge & drain your new battery.

Also, I noticed you have no header wrap. All that heat can fry an alternator real quick; especially the way ours is mounted. I would highly recommend wrapping those biatches.

my .02

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The problem is solved, but I was going to mention the alternator will whine when the car is on and the battery is not attached to the system. Make sure there's no corrosion on the wires going to the battery though. A bad connection to the battery could cause the same problems... in theory...

The battery not being charged, due to a bad connection, dies... then when the battery's connection comes back, the car bogs down due to the very dead battery sucking up a lot of voltage... possibly.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
update!!!!!!!

The alternator belt was the wrong belt (apparantly from the mechanic that swapped my motor)! Plus Clean3gen Was right about the alternator......I had to buy a new one...it was what killed my battery...damn autozone fake ass test was wrong! New alternator and new battery..problem solved...lol I went to the track tonight...read about it in the drag section..thanks everyone for all the support!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts