Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, this is my first post, I haven't done any mods yet, I'm still trying to get a solid platform going. I have just resealed the engine and put it back in my 92 Prelude Si.

Now, when I start driving, it will rev itself up to 2000 rpm even after I have taken my foot off the accelerator pedal and continue doing so unless I accelerate a bit further, and then I'll hear an air pop and it will drive as normal again.

When I press the clutch pedal in, the engine revs itself to 3000rpm again.

If the clutch is engaged, the car will of course drive itself. This would be nice if the car would also brake itself and steer itself, and then park itself and then go pick up the groceries while I just stay home and occupy myself by typing obnoxious remarks on Twitter, but unfortunately I haven't got that $1.95 performance chip off Ebay for doing all these functions, which leaves me with this dangerous Roboprelude.

Could it be:

1. Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

2. Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP)

3. Fast Idle Thermo Valve

4. Idle Control Valve

5. Vacuum leak in a coolant hose?

Please note: It will consistently go into this automatic driving mode anytime I'm going uphill on a slight incline, as if this malfunction initiates as a response to being under load.

I should mention the same thing happened 6 months ago after the first time I had taken the engine in and out to replace the clutch. Back then, I took it to a BP mechanic and he said the MAP sensor was "not connected properly" and also charged me for a throttle body service.

Yes he had fixed it, but I had never disconnected the MAP sensor in the first place, and I'd done a thorough throttle body service before taking it in to him, and I don't want to pay $160 for this again.

Can anyone help me figure out what the fix was and save $160 please?

Thanks bros

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a vehicle do this the throttle cable was frayed and sticking

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Yeah agree with the above post.

Remove the air cleaner from the throttle body. Start the engine and confirm the throttle plate is actually closing.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
This happen to me once before..If I remember correctly, I cleaned the plate with gum out or some sort and it cleared the problem..its def. has something to do with your throttle though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts