Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Warning. I only have half of a clue of what I'm talking about

Hey guys,

I see a million forums on this and I'm trying to read through them all, but looks like a lot of them are inconclusive.

Back a few months ago, I was driving from my parents place in NW Oklahoma to Austin, when just outside of OKC, I had to hit the brakes kinda hard (someone cut me off). Suddenly, everything on the car shut off. Everything.

Thankfully, I knew a good mechanic in OKC and I left it with him. He said after 8 hours of working on it today, he gives up. He's done. That man is rarely defeated. He's super sad.

He tells me he tried a new ECU. He checked every wire. He checked every sensor. He put on a new distributor. He just can't get a spark. Timing belt is good.

I'm reading through a million forums, but did anyone figure this out at all? Was there some definite solution?

Thanks!

Edit: IMG_2190 - Streamable - There's me trying to start it in August.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm dealing with a similar issue, although I haven't thrown as many parts at it. Working on a car for a friend. No spark, no injector pulse. Some kids who previously owned it just "did a real good timing job" the cam and crank were in time but the balance shafts were not. I realigned the timing for the balance belt and the crank position sensors looked good, they were new... there is a new cap on the distributor but the housing looks stock. We have good compression and the starter turns the engine when cranking. I have fuel pressure at the rail, but nothing is firing. Doesnt appear to be security related and we have no codes... it's a head scratcher. So maybe it's a motion switch like crash detection? Anybody have a location for something like that or a test to see if its triggered?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I just went down this two hour rabbit hole where I thought it was the PGM-FI (see? I don't know what I'm talking about) and the mechanic just texted back that he tried a new one and it didn't work. It was just a super hot summer (I had to leave the car for a month) and I thought maybe the hard braking caused it to break. No such luck.

·
Administrator
6,589 Posts
A new ecu will not fix it as the immobilizer is not paired to it.

Do you have fuel? Does a green key flash while trying to start?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts