Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so its late i get off work go to the parking structure, get in my lude, turn on the radio, and start her up. i drive about 40 feet make a left to go down to the next floor and she turns off. i put her in N and go down to the next level and park her. try to turn her on but won't start. i checked the fuel sistem its fine i cheked the starter and it seams to be good. when i turn the key the starter spins. the motor also spins but it does it very slow. so my question is why did it turn off? and why wont it start? what should i check next? for now im goin to sleep i worked for ten hours and spend another our trying to figure out what was wrong with her so ill chek it tomorrow. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
when you crank it over- does it sound different?- does i sound like you only have compression on three or two cylinders?
if so - your timing belt snapped.
its not common for our engines to just stop when cold and not start again- do you know the condition of your belt?
if not i recomend you remove the rocker cover and see if your belt is loose- if it is ok, chances are that it is electrical and if it is it will be to do with spar if yyour fuel pressure is ok, also check all common grounds.
but check your timing belt first- thats the only reason ive had lude engines just stop dead on me.

hope this helps

·
JDM fo lyf y0
1,224 Posts
Yeah id check your timing belt also make sure your coil wire is plugged in and hasnt come loose =)

·
Registered
930 Posts
Could be any of the following; timing belt, rotor in the distrubutor and main relay.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I'd say it's either your battery, or ignition somewhere... it could be a timing belt but that'd be odd. Definitely check the belt out cause when you're engine cranks slowly it's usually your starting/charging or ignition system crapping out or something wrong the base engine... Did it do anything weird while you were driving or when it shut off? Or did it "just" shut off? Hear any weird noises?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the timing belt is a year old i cheked it abot two months ago and it was fine, but it wont hurt to chek it again. first thing I did was check for loose wires coud not find any. thoght it might be the distributor so I put in a spare one i have, still no go. bttery is good. no weird noises it just shut down. ill go to work in a hour and chek the belt, check the wires again, and also if time permits the main relay.

any more sugetions before i go?????????

ps. i tried to post this a minute go but it would not let me so if it shows up twise excuse me.:)

·
Donates his big Member
2,229 Posts
what about the main shut off switch that activates in a crash. Could be to do with that. Its above your ecu if you wanna check.

·
Donates his big Member
2,229 Posts
its a small black box that has a ball bearing in it when it is shook violently, like in a crash it shuts the fuel pump off. if you take the carpet back and unbolt the ecy you will see it there!

·
JDM fo lyf y0
1,224 Posts
UK Lude - Greg said:
its a small black box that has a ball bearing in it when it is shook violently, like in a crash it shuts the fuel pump off. if you take the carpet back and unbolt the ecy you will see it there!
We have one of thoes!??!

·
Donates his big Member
2,229 Posts
Mine does, I knocked it once and was like, this will cost hundreds to fix, till i realised what I'd done!

·
Registered
97 Posts
ya man if the alternatior is not charging then your electronic fule injection well stop working when your battery gets to 7 volts so i would check if the alt is working befor eu get to worried

i had a lot of problems with voltage regs on my lude and when it died my lude would leave me stranded.

good luck man

·
Registered
119 Posts
you said it was raining? did you go trough a puddle? If yes, maybe you hydrolocked it, i did the very same thing to my focus last week, if thats the reason say good bye to the b20 and hello to a swap!
good luck yoO!

L

·
0 Posts
im new here, but maybe you should check the alternator or a loose ground.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok so i finally got a chance to check it out. i tried the igniton sistem and found that it was the igniter unit. there was a open in the circuit. but by the time i tried to turn the car on the battery was dead. i took the battery from my dads truck and put it on. now i forgot to turn the ignition of and when i put on the battery there were sparks. i thought nothing of it but now. when i turn the key to the on position nothing happens. i checked the fuses they are fine. also the power windows don't work but the radio does. what is wrong with my car now????:wzbigcry: :wzbigcry: :wzbigcry:
its still in the parking structure but im going to try and tow it tonight. so i can actualy work on it. please help!!!!

i dont know why she is doing this to me. i take good care of her she has only given me truble ones after the engine swap. it was a screw inside the alternator that came off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts