Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i had my first tuning experience today.. Got in my buddys car and he decided he wanted me to tune it... to the best of my ability. He is getting deployed in like 2 weeks so he didnt have time to take it anywhere.

Well we plugged into his power fc and went to work. He drove and i tuned.

End result. 12.5 af and no more breaking up, up top. Oh and it idles and doesnt die now too.

The car.. a good one for starters right.

95 240sx
rb25det
top mount manifold
650cc injectors
gt30r76 i think. i know it was the gt30r anyways on 21 psi
Forged weisco pistons and eagle rods
tial 44 mm external wastegate
hks bov
All welded intecooler pipes

Various other random goodies.. dont know the specifics about clutch lsd and such.

In no way was it a perfect tune. but i got it to where its safe and wont blow (i hope) as well as added some nice power.

21 psi of spinning tires :burnout:

It will do for now until he gets back and can get up to battlegrounds. Ill see if i cant throw up some pics on the car soon. ill have to go snag them from car domain.

ah i found the car domain.. there is some pictures and more accurate specs if anyone is interested.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2921616

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Decent, but I would get that a/f a little richer if you could. Probably in 12.0 range at least.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i didnt have all day to play with it. I already spent way more time than i should have on it.

he was driving it around at 19:1 cruising.. and 15:1 wot..

somehow it didnt blow up..

so this is a pretty good step in the right direction i believe.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No i think that was just some base layer stuff. I dont know much about body work and wasnt there when he did it. But i dont believe it was spray painted.. i know the picture your talking about though.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
i didnt have all day to play with it. I already spent way more time than i should have on it.

he was driving it around at 19:1 cruising.. and 15:1 wot..

somehow it didnt blow up..

so this is a pretty good step in the right direction i believe.
Wow, that's rough. He is definatly lucky his car didn't go boom.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
wow, yeah even for wiseco pistons im surprised it didnt melt.

12.5 is still too lean though for 21psi. at that boost level you'd want to be in the mid-high 11's

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow, yeah even for wiseco pistons im surprised it didnt melt.

12.5 is still too lean though for 21psi. at that boost level you'd want to be in the mid-high 11's
eek maybe i should call him back and re tune some things then..

I had it around 11.9 but he kept telling me it was too rich.. so i turned it back down a little and added some timing..

Oh its not like he payed me or anything, but he is a friend of mine. I would hate to see such a nice motor blow.. AGAIN,

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
eek maybe i should call him back and re tune some things then..

I had it around 11.9 but he kept telling me it was too rich.. so i turned it back down a little and added some timing..

Oh its not like he payed me or anything, but he is a friend of mine. I would hate to see such a nice motor blow.. AGAIN,
if the timing is retarded enough at that boost level with the 12.5 afr, the engine should be ok for a bit, but it can damage the turbo from such high exhaust temps.

im assuming he's running pump gas lol.

if he was running race fuel it'd be a different story, and 12.5 is about the norm.
but pump gas burns too hot at 12.5 at that boost level, causing high combustion chamber temps, which when mixed with proper timing as if it was running the proper afr will actually cause minor detonation. safe timing for 12.5 will obviously cause a later spark, and later combustion event, better for the motor but worse for the turbo lifespan but better for spool response.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well im not sure how the turbo is liking it but i messed with it long enough that it quit breaking up. When he would get on it you could hear the detonation. So between my timing adjustments and the fuel it quit making that noise.

He said he wants a gt35r anyways lol.

·
got 사랑?
572 Posts
lol my best friend's brother has a 89 240 with a rb20det swap...i dunno where he goes to get his smog test through D:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol my best friend's brother has a 89 240 with a rb20det swap...i dunno where he goes to get his smog test through D:

We managed to get his through the smog test.. We bolted in a cat and leaned it out, then it passed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts