Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the hardest time trying to find pics and a write up to change the oil pan on a 5th gen. Apparently it's something you need a lift for.. Well I subsituted a flat bed tow truck. I'm including pics as to how I did it, however, the only result was an epic FAIL because I couldn't get the damn oil pan off. I was told after I needed a torch to get it off.

The tow truck hosts a bunch of great features like an air compressor (for those difficult, rusted, greased on bolts), perfect lighting structures, and the convience at the touch of a button. Im sure not all of you have access to a flat bed tow truck but some of you might find this interesting. The only negative was the breaking of my otherwise perfect non-sagging bumper clips.

Some pictures came out fuzzy because of settings on my camera.

About 1'' from the floor.

Enough room to comfortably sit underneath

Using the chains, we attached them to my tow hook and hoisted it about 4 feet from the ground.

Heres the difficult part:
You must remove the crossmember, which is 4 nasty bolts.
For auto trannys: you must remove a transmission casing. Not sure on the 5spd.
Then the exhaust and the o2 sensors where it connects to the manifold. I guess you can do it lower as well.
Then the 18 bolts for the oil pan.
I would highly suggest you have a hand torch available to melt the silicone seal for the pan.

This is by no means a write up, just a tutorial of my hard work and failures :(

·
Premium Member
16,906 Posts
No need for honda bond. Just make sure the new gasket is completely dry and that all the surfaces are dry as well. You want a nice dry seal.

If it's wet with anything, even with a crap load of honda bond, it wont seal properly. Or you'll just mask the problem.

And jess, you should have called me. I could have done that at my house. I have car jacks, jack stands and a large assortment of tools.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
4,812 Posts
atleast you tried. no shame in atleast trying something on your own. wish i knew a girl like that whos not scared to get under a car and take a wrench to it =p

·
Registered
747 Posts
No need for honda bond. Just make sure the new gasket is completely dry and that all the surfaces are dry as well. You want a nice dry seal.

If it's wet with anything, even with a crap load of honda bond, it wont seal properly. Or you'll just mask the problem.

And jess, you should have called me. I could have done that at my house. I have car jacks, jack stands and a large assortment of tools.
I don't think our oilpans come with a gasket iirc. But good advice on keeping it dry.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Did you beat the hell out of it with a rubber mallet? The pan will not just come off once the bolts are loose, it's going to take some beating to free it.

·
Premium Member
16,906 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used a rubber mallet and a crow bar. No dice, trust me. I was told that the only gaskets for the lude were silicon. Either way, I didn't change the pan. I couldn't ;(

And mario, jack stands won't lift it high enough.
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Wow, I can't believe you hoisted your car up like that with a flat bed. Why not get someone or somewhere with a lift to lift up the car?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I used a rubber mallet and a crow bar. No dice, trust me. I was told that the only gaskets for the lude were silicon. Either way, I didn't change the pan. I couldn't ;(

And mario, jack stands won't lift it high enough.
Posted via Mobile
just have to be alil persuasive i did this not too long ago and had some problems but give it a good hit then get a very small flat head screw driver and tap it inbetween and just work your way around til you get a opening then get a bigger screw driver

·
bangin' gears
15,675 Posts
Go to the store and get a wedge, paint scraper, anything that is really thin with a wide base. Be very careful prying it off. That way can damage the oil pan and damage the block. Instead of prying, wedge it between the block and pan. The taper of the wedge will separate the pan from the block without damaging either.
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I've dropped my oil pan with the car on the ground only using jacks and a jackstand, didnt seem hard and to get the pan off after the bolts and nuts were out, I used a screwdriver.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
lol just did this yesterday. much easier with a lift and air tools of course but all in all not realy that hard. just make sure you get all the old gasket sealant off and that the faces are clean. i used brakleen and a razor just to make sure. and there is ONE gasket that is right at the end in the crescent shape on the transmission side.

·
Registered
42 Posts
im not gonna lie i love the pick of the car with the lower rad support on the back of a slideback....ive had some epic fails with my car but i dont think ive ever had a problem getting the pan off at least u tried man....and when i went to honda they said they dont sell a gasket for the h22a4s they said just to use blue RTV or honda bond.

·
Registered
488 Posts
the jackass mechanic who worked on my car when i first got it use a shit load of honda bond and its starting to leak...assclown

·
Registered
219 Posts
Went through basically the same process today and also failed. Got the oil drained, cross beam removed, exhaust dropped, engine stiffener off, oil pan bolts out, and could not for the life of me get the pan to budge. I beat the hell out of it with a rubber mallet, tried tapping a knife blade into the seam, and prying at the rear driver's side corner but that motherfucker wouldn't move. I was up on rhino ramps so I didn't really have much room to work, and my only prying tools were a screwdriver and open end wrenches. After about an hour and a half of trying to drop the pan I had to give up and start the reassembly process. Guess I'm gonna have to take it to a shop. Goddamnit! Hondabond owns me.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Props for trying, I have a SST called a "pan cutter" fits nicely in there with a little hammer assistance...

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Went through basically the same process today and also failed. Got the oil drained, cross beam removed, exhaust dropped, engine stiffener off, oil pan bolts out, and could not for the life of me get the pan to budge. I beat the hell out of it with a rubber mallet, tried tapping a knife blade into the seam, and prying at the rear driver's side corner but that motherfucker wouldn't move. I was up on rhino ramps so I didn't really have much room to work, and my only prying tools were a screwdriver and open end wrenches. After about an hour and a half of trying to drop the pan I had to give up and start the reassembly process. Guess I'm gonna have to take it to a shop. Goddamnit! Hondabond owns me.
hum bummer to hear that. i've managed to always find a nice spot to pry on every oil pan i've dropped. i also had a hell of a time working on my car today as well. pulled passenger side suspension partial off to get to transmission output seal. turns out the autozone seal i bought was too small. went to orieles and theres was too big! so i was like :baa: and reassembled everything using the old seal. this is what i get for deciding not to go with oem honda equipment.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts