Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Prelude for just over a week now, and I just noticed a ticking noise while I am in gear. I usually drive with my moonroof open along with my windows and I didn't notice the noise until today. When my Prelude is in neutral (5 spd), there is no ticking, even when I rev the engine over 3000 rpms. The sound only happens when I am in gear and it is loud.

I have done some searching here, and there were a few suggestions of what it might be. It could be the "2k rattle", too rich of a fuel/air mixture, valves need adjustment, possible pre-ignition, ignition timing, and cam timing. That seems to be quite a bit of work, but after doing some research here, none of what was mentioned is with the car in gear.

Does anyone have any suggestions or have any of you had this problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
I too have just noticed a ticking when in gear. I only happened to have my music off and drive by another car so the sound bounced back into the cabin. I have no idea what it is, Its not the 2k rattles cuz like it says thats a rattle but this is more a ticking sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amaymi said:
I too have just noticed a ticking when in gear. I only happened to have my music off and drive by another car so the sound bounced back into the cabin. I have no idea what it is, Its not the 2k rattles cuz like it says thats a rattle but this is more a ticking sound.
That is exactly how I heard it. While I was driving by some parked vehicles I started to hear it when my MP3 player was between songs.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,157 Posts
all of what was mentioned is possible while the car is in gear and not loud enough to be heard when in neutral. another thing to add to that list is a worn rod bearing. it will be louder and much more noticeable when there is some form of load on the bearing, ie: accelerating or decelerating
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also should have mentioned that I have the infamous B21A1 engine with over 255,000 kms on her. More possible factors?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,221 Posts
Very much sounds like my rod bearings problem. Get them checked out, if that's the case. You don't wanna spin one like I did. The rod and main bearings are about $100 or so from advance auto parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
88si said:
Very much sounds like my rod bearings problem. Get them checked out, if that's the case. You don't wanna spin one like I did. The rod and main bearings are about $100 or so from advance auto parts.
When your rod bearings went, did you have a ticking/rattling sound while in gear. It seems like mine is getting worse and it sounds like it is coming from the back of the engine.
 

·
* * * * * *
Joined
·
12,918 Posts
Find a mall or something u can drive by while being like 1 foot from a brick wall.. or just get out of the car and listen. If it's your valves ticking it'll do it all the time.. any time.. whatsoever. it just speeds up with u give it gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
LudaPower said:
Find a mall or something u can drive by while being like 1 foot from a brick wall.. or just get out of the car and listen. If it's your valves ticking it'll do it all the time.. any time.. whatsoever. it just speeds up with u give it gas.
I started hearing it just a few days ago while I had my windows down, and I drove by a few parked vehicles. I can hear it even more now, and my windows are closed along with my moonroof.

I does get worse as I accelerate. So, if it is the valves, does that mean that they have to be replaced?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
I believe mine does the same thing, but it seems to come and go... it seems to be more noticable when it's cold outside (even after warming engine), but has happened in warm weather also.

I hear it after warming the car up... but it usually goes away or gets quieter after driving the car for a while. It's heard mostly during low rpm accelleration, I don't notice it at high rpms.

I have the b21 also... about 186,000 miles. I hope it's not a bearing... the car does not seem to burn much oil, fortunately.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top