Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Vrooom PSHHHH
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I am freaking out right now. I had to work all day yesterday and it was insanely busy, and far from pleasant. When I got off I was really stressed and wanted to blow off some steam so I went to a parking lot and decided to do some spins (bad idea). I went around a couple times, I was at it maybe 30 seconds, then started driving out when a cop pulls in with his lights on. I got a reckless driving for unsafe driving in a public parking facility and my lude got impounded for 30 days.

Here's where I'm in trouble. I already have 2 points on my license, and reckless is another 2. I also got a speeding ticket about a month ago so that will make it a total of 5. My record isn't exactly exemplary (90 in 65, 66 in 45, and a 60 in 45 that I got dropped) and a possible 100 in 65 then this one. I am freaking out right now because in CA reckless can get you jail time, huge fines, and 2 points. I'm going to call up a lawyer and talk to them. I'm hoping I can get it lowered to just fines and community service, and possible probation. A conviction of reckless will give me a criminal record and it will stay on my record for 10 years. Insurance skyrockets and I'm royally screwed.

On top of this, the impound is 30 days and it costs $55 a day so it's over $1600 just to get my fucking car back, not including my ticket fines. If anyone has any experience with this situation PLEASE help me out, I am so scared right now and extremely stressed. I know I messed up and I dont need anyone to rub that in please.

The cop was actually pretty chill though and talked to me about my car and stuff afterward. I know he was just doing his job so I'm only pissed at myself here. :frown:

·
_
2,494 Posts
stay positive!!!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
move out of cali. that place is gonna be the next cuba. i got 2 careless and wreckless, improper passing/passing in a turning lane, 113 in a 55, 75 in a 25 evading police and running a stop sign (i framed this one), a couple speed contests, and i only spend 45 minutes in jail, never had the car impounded. one time i got pulled for noise violation (2 mtx 10's and alpine components:)) and improper tag and i talked them into letting me drive the car back home told them i couldn't afford a tow truck and i didn't want to leave my car in this (getto) part of town.

·
Registered
915 Posts
^^ thats about all you can do aswell as chat with a good lawyer and see what options you have. I'm going to court aswell at the end of january for driving with an out of date plate aswell as driving with that plate not registered to the vehicle it was on lol. Bought the car on a friday night and needed wheels, so I slapped my old plate on and got pulled over on that sunday. Monday I had everythign squared cause I couldn't do it on the weekend cause teh ministry is closed. I just plan on showin up and tellin them to open up a ministry of transportation office on the weekend so they won't have to ever worry about me drivin around with the wrong plate/out of date plate lol. Just when you go ball your eyes out and bring your mom lol, they'll pity you for sure :D

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
oh i forgot to mention the reason i had improper tags was i traded my car in for another one and the dealer forgot to transfer the tags so he paid to get the ticket dropped.

if the cop doesn't have your spins on camera there is a good chance the lawyer can get it dropped. if he is good then he can get your car out free.

·
Registered
763 Posts
that is some bullshit. reckless driving in a parking lot?
I know in our province of ontario, parking lots are private property more often than not. Cops can't even stop you on a parking lot.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
he pulls you over for doing spins in an empty parking lot? boy thats pretty dangerous spinning safely? gah cops like these just piss me off, they just have too much power. Get that attorney to make the cop feel like shit, cuz theres a difference between doing the right thing and doing your job. He definitely didn't do the right thing, fucking douche bag.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Get a lawyer and move to TEXAS.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Im to lazy to read all of the things...

but I have a reckless in CA as well....(I took prelude up to 5K in a parking garage in 1st and came to a stop....ya)

and FYI, it only stays on your record for 7 years, and you can't go to jail either, unless you have a Failure to Appear when your court date comes up...so I urge you to go to it. hah.

Your insurance company might drop you. Also, you know that speeding tickets drop off after 3 years right? So I dunno if you got any of those tickets over 3 years ago.

It won't be impossible to get insurance, but for example, with my wreckless its $350/month, and Im 26. But then again, I have 500/500/500 liability, 500/500/500 comp, 500/500/500 un-insured motorist, and a $2million dollar umbrella.....

Since you're under the Age of 25, and with a wreckless - I'd say for bare-bones (15/30/5 on Liability ONLY) insurance its probably going to be the same if not MORE than mine per month.

Im in the Insurance Biz, so any questions, feel free to PM me. :thumbsup:

Oh, its better to accept the fact that you're going to get the wreckless. Don't try and fight it. I had 5 witnes's that said I wasnt doing "donuts" as the 2 cops claimed, I hired the best attorney in town...and bascially...its the words of 6 "kids" against 2 police officers....who "lost" the video proof that they had and the security in the Parking structure "recorded over it" by accident.

All in All - it sucks. But its a big waste of time, and a waste of money to fight it. I fought it for over 1 year too.

Good Luck.

·
Vrooom PSHHHH
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow thank you so much man. I 'll probably PM you once things settle down here (lots of family over for dinner and stuff) and I have some time to write it out with a clear head lol. So since you do insurance I assume you have a decent knowledge of traffic laws/offense? That could really be helpful to me, and I really appreciate what you already wrote

I'm probably going to call up a few lawyers that do free consultations because it can't hurt just to ask, and then see what they have to say.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it :) Merry Christmas everyone

·
Registered
262 Posts
merry christmas, dude. good luck with your situation... it really does suck to have that happen during the holidays.

oh, dont come to Virginia either, it's not much better on this side of the coast.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i thought that if you were in a private property, cops couldn't stop you. it was up to the properties security. best of luck dude. were there cars in the lot?

·
Registered
387 Posts
No problem Man.

Ya, I have a fairly decent knowledge of that stuff, I used to do alot of work with / for CHP.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
that is some bullshit. reckless driving in a parking lot?
I know in our province of ontario, parking lots are private property more often than not. Cops can't even stop you on a parking lot.

one of the few ontario laws i like... are cops even tell us to practice in lots specially for winter driving thats the one cool thing:D snow + parking lot = massive fun

·
Registered
114 Posts
Absolutely forget the "cops can't do anything about actions on private property" crap, sure they can! If you are on your OWN property and not disturbing others (noise, etc.) they can't do much, but beyond that they have jurisdiction whether you are on a public street or in a parking lot when it comes to speeding, reckless driving, etc. If someone was in your front lawn doing cookies could you call the cops and expect them to do something about it? Of course!

Also, let's review: he has multiple reckless drivings, multiple 15+ over the limits, sounds like multiple of those that aren't even resolved yet and some of you say the COP was being a dick?

If you can take a diversion class to remove one or more of the violations, take it. Beyond that my advice to you is to do your best to resolve the outstanding violations you have to your best advantage, pay your fines and stop driving like an ass. If you don't, pretty soon you will run out of points and you won't have a license at all. Try driving with a revoked license and get caught one more time and see how that cop treats you.

You can expect your insurance to skyrocket! Someone above compared to your situation and states he pays $350 a MONTH for insurance?!? I insure two drivers, a pickup and two restored musclecars (valued at $50k and $20K for insurance purposes) and I only pay $80 a month!

Dude, find better ways to work out your stress and start driving with some responsibility for yourself and those around you.

Reactions: The Professor

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
You can expect your insurance to skyrocket! Someone above compared to your situation and states he pays $350 a MONTH for insurance?!? I insure two drivers, a pickup and two restored musclecars (valued at $50k and $20K for insurance purposes) and I only pay $80 a month!
Ohhh I just wanted to say. I hate being young, I only have one ticket against me, no wrecks, and I pay $110 a month for my two cars. My Camaro costs me $140+ a year. Before paint it was valued by my insurance at $15k.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
insurance is bullshit. i was paying 500 a month for insurance. my car payment was only 250 and it was an explorer. 18,000 in insurance over the 3 years i had to pay it plus 1000 down payment to start the plan plus everything i had paid before that and after that. i have never had a wreck do i get any of that money back no. bullshit i tell you bullshit. end rant. while there are better ways to blow off steam he had the forethought to go to an empty parking lot as to not injure anyone or anyones property. impounding your car is fucked up unless it's for a dui/dwi or vehicular manslaughter. there needs to be a place in every town for people of all ages to go and drive their car however they want. how hard is it to get a field in the middle of nowhere and blacktop it? 5 bucks per car and bam safer streets profit and a good time for all.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts