Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car randomly shuts off while driving, no pattern at all. been happening for a while now.

while driving the engine shuts off. lights are still on, radio is still playing, dials all go down and key light blinks.

sometimes car will turn back on instant, sometimes 5 - 7 seconds later and sometimes not at all. i have to pull over, put car in park and turn car back on.

when i turn key more, lights flicker a little.

someone please help!!?!!?!

1998 honda prelude auto 165k

·
Registered
846 Posts
my car randomly shuts off while driving, no pattern at all. been happening for a while now.

while driving the engine shuts off. lights are still on, radio is still playing, dials all go down and key light blinks.

sometimes car will turn back on instant, sometimes 5 - 7 seconds later and sometimes not at all. i have to pull over, put car in park and turn car back on.

when i turn key more, lights flicker a little.

someone please help!!?!!?!

1998 honda prelude auto 165k
I have reason to believe they didn't do the ignition recall properly on your car. Get it checked.

·
Registered
139 Posts
blown head gasket! need new engine!!!
or at least that's what Honda will say. lol
go get a leak down test and compression test while you're at it.
Lets just hope it's not really your head gasket

·
Registered
171 Posts
take a look at your battery and battery and alternator wiring...maybe intermittent contact between your alt and battery and cause limited charging. just a thought.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What do you do? Do you just go up there and tell them I need to get my ignition recall checked or what?
take a look at your battery and battery and alternator wiring...maybe intermittent contact between your alt and battery and cause limited charging. just a thought.
i thought about that but then why would the radio keep playing, lights on, and engine restart :eh:

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 98 lude does the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!, it is a swap from a auto to 5 speed and i have had it in a shop for the transmission and the mechanic said he believes it is because the idiots left the automatic ecu in, Im not sure if it will continue to do this when i get a new ecu next week but id like to know if its something else too.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My 98 lude does the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!, it is a swap from a auto to 5 speed and i have had it in a shop for the transmission and the mechanic said he believes it is because the idiots left the automatic ecu in, Im not sure if it will continue to do this when i get a new ecu next week but id like to know if its something else too.
now thats just silly...

·
Registered
846 Posts
It is either

- Ignition
- Grounding
- Wiring
- Alternator
- Battery Connections
- Fuses
- Ecu

Get it checked. And damn there is some dumbass comments in here.

Remember the car is still starting and he has no problems with it except when it turns off randomly.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Look around for loose connections such as the ecu ground at the thermostat housing, ignition coil connector, plug wires and so on. Make sure they're not loose. If everything seems to be fine then go to the stealership and complain about the ignition switch recall stuff because they might have replaced your with a faulty one that is the same as your origional one. This problem is similar to the auto tranny problem. Which is the manufacturer that made the faulty part then the recall happen, they don't throw away the faulty parts, kept in the warehouse, we get the recall stuff but the stealership mistaken it and order the faulty part and put it in our car. The problem comes back like before. But in the SS tranny case is that they have defective clutch packs that wears prematurely. We got fail tranny people thought stealership parts are better than aftermarket so they order stealership part which is defective in the first place so you end up with the same failed shit.

Btw, do you have any high power accessories installed like stereo and amp and fog lights? If you have such high power stuff installed and controlled by the ignition switch then it will likely to cause your switch to wear out and fail prematurely.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Look around for loose connections such as the ecu ground at the thermostat housing, ignition coil connector, plug wires and so on. Make sure they're not loose. If everything seems to be fine then go to the stealership and complain about the ignition switch recall stuff because they might have replaced your with a faulty one that is the same as your origional one. This problem is similar to the auto tranny problem. Which is the manufacturer that made the faulty part then the recall happen, they don't throw away the faulty parts, kept in the warehouse, we get the recall stuff but the stealership mistaken it and order the faulty part and put it in our car. The problem comes back like before. But in the SS tranny case is that they have defective clutch packs that wears prematurely. We got fail tranny people thought stealership parts are better than aftermarket so they order stealership part which is defective in the first place so you end up with the same failed shit.

Btw, do you have any high power accessories installed like stereo and amp and fog lights? If you have such high power stuff installed and controlled by the ignition switch then it will likely to cause your switch to wear out and fail prematurely.
i have fog lights but i have had them in for almost 3 years now. this problem showed up about 4 months ago.

It is either

- Ignition
- Grounding
- Wiring
- Alternator
- Battery Connections
- Fuses
- Ecu

Get it checked. And damn there is some dumbass comments in here.

Remember the car is still starting and he has no problems with it except when it turns off randomly.
thank you! lol my mechanic is going to be changing the ignition switch on Monday. he even said it is most likely the switch but hes going to check out everything else.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts