Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wrote this whole long message about my car running rough and then it didn't post! Shiiiillll my hand hurts from typing!!

Anyway, I have an exhaust leak (b pipe) and probably need the whole thing done...:| plus, the carberator needs the floats replaced/rebuilt?? It "puffs" when it's idling. I see it in the tach, idle at 1000 rpm, it dips to 600 rpm or so and then quit on me today, twice.

When I bought it, 4 years ago, I had the clutch done, rear wheel bearings and the 75k service done, minus the thermostat and radiator fluid changed. Every spring and fall I have changed oil and last spring I had the rear drums shoes replaced and ebrake fixed.

Any thoughts on exhaust? How about the carberator? I don't want to replace that, just get it fixed, right?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure that would be cool, but not cost effective!

One of the mechanics at work says he'll do it all, but he always takes a long time to finish. And, he lives pretty far away.

Oh well, I guess if I don't do the work myself, nobody cares. I know I could do the exhaust if I could find the piping, but not the engine work.

·
Registered
814 Posts
welll thats anoying i wrote a rather long how to for your carb and then it deleted everything i wrote... now i don't feel like writing it again... if you decide to do it yourself i'll write it again

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what happened to me too! I wonder if you take too long typing, it won't post :confused:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've found a carb kit on ebay that says "
Bidding on a new carburetor kit for a Keihin 3 Barrel Carburetor. Kit number CT-1198. Used on the following.
1979 Honda 1488cc Civic CVCC all/transmission
Used on a Keihin 3 bbl Carburetor numbers (CA21A, C, G, CA22A, E)

1978 Honda 1488cc, 1597cc Accord, Civic, CVCC all/transmission
Used on a Keihin 3bbl Carburetor numbers (CA21A, B, C, E, F, CA22A, B, C, D, CA24A, B, C, CA25A, B)

Looks like this

and another one that says "HONDA (12) 1980-1987
ACCORD (8) 1980-1985
1985 L4-1829cc 1.8L 3 BBL Vin ES2
1984 L4-1829cc 1.8L 3 BBL Vin ES1
1984 L4-1829cc 1.8L 3 BBL Vin ES2
1984 L4-1829cc 1.8L CARB Vin AD/ES2
1983 L4-1751cc 1.8L 3 BBL Vin EK1
1982 L4-1751cc 1.8L 3 BBL Vin EK1
1981 L4-1751cc 1.8L 3 BBL Vin EK1
1980 L4-1751cc 1.8L 3 BBL Vin EK1
PRELUDE (4) 1984-1987
1987 L4-1829cc 1.8L 3 BBL Vin ET2
1986 L4-1829cc 1.8L 3 BBL Vin ET2
1985 L4-1829cc 1.8L 3 BBL Vin ET2
1984 L4-1829cc 1.8L 3 BBL Vin ET2
and looks like this

What else would I need? Does this kit come with a needle and seats? I could do it myself. Please help me :wzbigcry:

·
Registered
814 Posts
unless your metering rod is worn out (i highly doubt it) then all you need is floats, accelerator pump and gaskets.

make sure it fits your application, altitude, emmisions regulations and gas quality all effect which rebuild kit you need.

go to your local parts store and give em your carb number, then get the part number of the kit you need, (then post it i wanna know which one you need) then search ebay for it, best way to know you have the correct one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah, but here in the states, you can't just walk into a parts store and do that. You acctually have to go to a shop or NAPA (which tend to be "in the know" these days) Everything else seems to be francised out.

back on topic, I got a lucas rebuild kit off ebay, and my box is blue.

·
Registered
814 Posts
sucks to be you guys. i can order a float kit for an ek1 at work, can't remember how much, but i'll look into it for you

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my car is a California car. the guy at planetauto in Atlanta, GA says it has the needle and seat.

I think the 3bbl down draft carburetor is the same on all EK1s, including USDM Accords. Keihin.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll find out tomorrow if the Niehoff kit I bought for $55 shipped worked or not. I hope so.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It cost me just over a hundred bucks to have the carburetor rebuilt! I can't believe how much better my baby runs! And better gas mileage!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I filled up at a gas station that has non-oxygenated fuel. It was 91 Octane and cost about 50 cents more than its premium counterpart. My friend at work said, "Your car's carburetor was not made to run on oxygenated fuel. It eats the gaskets." Think about that one...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now the exhaust system! :crazy:

But, I'm moving in less than a week, so the lude is "on the back burner" if you know what I mean. :hmpf:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I used one tank of the new fuel and it was about 25 mpg. Before it was around 20 mpg. With the "flooded" carburetor. I know it seems like it should be better, but it has an exhaust leak and in general hasn't been running well since the middle of last summer. I don't drive it alot. Just around town and to work once in a while.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
That is what I like/envy most about the 1st gens. Very cool car and THE modern Honda for it's time, as all Prelude were I guess, but still very basic in terms of just being a car. What I mean is, you guys get to rebuild carbs and tune the motor up to get your car to run mint. I have to adjust about 12 valves just to make my idle stop bouncing. :colgate:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well, it's not all fun and games! My carburetor is flooded again. It just will not run when idling. If I keep the throttle rpms at 1500 or more it is fine, but I can't do that. Sooooo.... it's time for some changes! I'm looking into getting a Weber installed, soon. :partysmiley:

I hear it won't like to idle either, but atleast it won't quit every stop light. I'm not going for some rebuilt shiznat, I'm getting a new one.

ACCORD 76-83 or Prelude 79-82

Engine type 1.6 & 1.8 W/ CVCC 12 valve

Kit number K 725

PERFORMANCE REPLACEMENT Electric Choke

Model Weber 32/36 DGEV

Part Number 22680 033 B

Adaptor PN 99004 120 Redline Adapter

Linkage Kit PN 99007 116

Air Filter Assembly PN 99217 332S

Base Gasket PN 99005 068

I'm hoping to get it done in the next week or so.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts