Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a bit of an unusual problem with my 97 SH that i've been searching for and can't find anyone with a similar problem.

For the past few months I've had this weird problem that I can not recreate intentionally, but it happens every once in a while. It seems to happen randomly as I am cruising at a constant speed, the gear I am in does not seem to matter, but I'll be driving along and feel what can only be described as a surge through out the whole car, the car will then immediately cut itself off for a quick second and everything will light up on the dash as if I had just turned the key for a sec. and then it will just cut itself back on and drive like nothing happened. Sometimes when this happens the ATTS light will come on and stay on until I park and restart but upon hooking it up to the code reader, it is not throwing any codes at all.

As of recent this seems to have gotten worse to the affect of every once in a while after I start it and let it warm up for a min it will just die and not cut back on on it's own. Sometimes I'll catch it before it dies out and rev the engine a little bit and it will be fine. I am not sure if these are two totally different unrelated problems or not, but both are bothering me and seem pretty serious.

I gave the car to my mechanic who happens to be my neighbor who takes it into the Honda dealership up the street and works on it as if it was his own and of course the problem would not recreate itself for him so he didn't know where to start but told me to keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Anyway if anybody has had a similar problem or if anyone could give some advice on what to look for, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
sounds like an electrical problem

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe the recall was done, and I do think I remember hearing something about them possibly failing a second time too. Is there much truth to that?

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
I say take it up to the stealership and see if the ignition recall has been done. I kno 97-98 Preludes had this problem

·
Registered
60 Posts
yea check the ignition i had the same problem with my 99 lude base but my car didnt just try back on it took me like 5 mins. GL with it

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks, I guess I'll get it up to the dealership. I'm the second owner of the car and when I bought it I was told that all of the recall stuff was done, and I knew at least the EGR was, so I will look into that. Isn't there a way to look it up with my VIN on owners link?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm having a similar problem actually, and even if i recreate it, 6 mechanics cannot figure it out. When I drive between 2k-3k rpms she fuel cuts until she gets under 2k. Point being I can only accel or decel, no cruising. they thought the fuel cut had been tampered with in my P72 but cromes apparently doesn't have one...

·
Registered
63 Posts
i've forgotten exactly how to do it, but if you go to the Honda website there's a way to punch in your VIN and it'll tell you what recalls have been done and what not. But yeah, i'm having the same problem, i haven't had time to take it to the dealership yet. I'm pretty sure it's the ignition.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I'm not happy that other people are having this problem too, but at least I'm not alone, I'll check out the VIN on the website later this morning and see what that comes up with, and I should have it into the dealership later this week and see what happens with that. However if anyone else has suggestions I would love to hear them because I'll do, taking my car into Honda is a last resort....

·
Registered
3 Posts
had the same problem with my honda 7 mo. ago and got to find out that yes it was the ignition switch. My car would turn off while driving and had to turn the key to start it back on. So if your having the same problem heres a tip on how to check it, turn your car on and gently put your hand on the key, you will have to mingle with it back and forth if you notice that its so sensitive that it causes your car to turn off well then theres your problem. The ignition switch is located on the opposite side of the key throttle on the steering wheel, you will have to unscrew the bottom cover of the steering wheel to take off the ignition switch. In my case I did the work myself it doesnt take much time maybe 15 to 30 minutes the hardest part is just one screw on the switch that is kinda hard to reach so be patient. My reconmendations is if you want to save some money especially from the dealership go to the auto parts store, in mycase I went to Bapgeon and it could be from $30-50. You dont have to buy the whole key throttle just the ignition switch which is a switch with wires that go to a connector. Or let the dealership have it changed free of charge with the recall. good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
had the same problem with my honda 7 mo. ago and got to find out that yes it was the ignition switch. My car would turn off while driving and had to turn the key to start it back on. So if your having the same problem heres a tip on how to check it, turn your car on and gently put your hand on the key, you will have to mingle with it back and forth if you notice that its so sensitive that it causes your car to turn off well then theres your problem. The ignition switch is located on the opposite side of the key throttle on the steering wheel, you will have to unscrew the bottom cover of the steering wheel to take off the ignition switch. In my case I did the work myself it doesnt take much time maybe 15 to 30 minutes the hardest part is just one screw on the switch that is kinda hard to reach so be patient. My reconmendations is if you want to save some money especially from the dealership go to the auto parts store, in mycase I went to Bapgeon and it could be from $30-50. You dont have to buy the whole key throttle just the ignition switch which is a switch with wires that go to a connector. Or let the dealership have it changed free of charge with the recall. good luck

·
Registered
852 Posts
get it checked out!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I believe the recall was done, and I do think I remember hearing something about them possibly failing a second time too. Is there much truth to that?
YES THE IGNITION RECALL CAN FAIL AGAIN.

Mine was done by a previous owner in 2001 and it was documented when I checked on Honda's website, but it failed again in 2006, so definitely just have it done and canceled out at least. It's also not too expensive anyways (they'll make you pay for it if it's already been done).

I used an aftermarket part from Autozone the 2nd time around though since the Honda part seems faulty to me considering it failed again.

flyVing

1 - 16 of 16 Posts