Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Outback today to eat and I noticed on the way there it started to overheat. I got it there then parked it and thought everything was fine till I was walking around and looked at (looking oh so sexy) it like I always do. I saw there was antifreeze coming out pretty quickly. I didn't want to stress about it and knew I couldn't do anything about it since it was hot. I came back out and checked it out and it was coming out of the overflow bottle. I replaced the cap 3 weeks ago so I knew that wasn't it. I knew I had to get it home. It started to get home and then it started to go up as soon as I got it in the apartments. I popped the cap and saw that it looked pretty bad (fluid). I have heard from Dano that in the old days you could touch the bottom of the radiator to feel what part was cold and that was the part that was clogged. I don't have the money for a radiator again right now so I decided to try to get some flush to flush it out. I pulled the thermo out just to check it. It was stuck open so I will replace that again.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The thermo may have been open because it was hot,but even if stuck open wouldn't cause the car to over heat.
Are your fans working?
Is the new cap the same pressure as the old?
Last but not least,did you overfill the overflow bottle(I did):oops:

·
Donates his big Member
2,229 Posts
All this has happened to me also in the last couple of days. I noticed when ticking over that it was dripping slightly and I could feel a light mist of water on my face when looking through the grill. I thought it was a hole so I bought some liquid glass metallic which is extream hardcore rad seal as I also I don't have money for a rad. I also bought a new stat as it was stuck open all the time and when driving the car would sit at cold all the time. So I did the whole rd weld thing and thought it was all good, yesterday I was sat stil and I noticed the temp gauge going up again. looked under the bonnet and checked the fan fuse, it had blown, so I replaced it and it still didn't work. The engine had boiled over at this point and the rad was making all these creeking noises, I realised that something was jammed in the fan which must have caused the fuse to blow, which has probaby the case of the rad poping the other day. So always check your fan can spin otherwise like for me it can cause lots of different problems!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
my thermostat got stuck open and it let too much colant to flow into the radiator. the problem was that too much was flowing so it went into my overflow tank and my car over heated. so if the thermostat is bad that could be the problem.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well tonight I parked the car to get out and talk to some people and it spiked up (210) and I checked the overflow (didn't have anything in there because I never fill it) and it was at the top level. It only does that when I get on it but doesn't go past 150 if I don't get on it. I am not sure why though but I am going to run a hose at the top of the radiator and try to flush anything out that I can just to make sure.

The cap is 13 and I am not sure what the normal pressure is.
I think that fans are straight wired to run all the time ( I didn't do it like that ).

granprix said:
The thermo may have been open because it was hot,but even if stuck open wouldn't cause the car to over heat.

Then why would it do the same without the thermo in there? It is fine if I don't get on it but once I do it starts to go up.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I would think if the thermo was stuck open it would allow unrestricted flow of coolant through the motor (over cooling it) and not letting it even warm up in a reasonable amount of time.
I remember conversation about not having a thermo at all causing the coolant to move too fast through the motor not giving it enough residence time to effect a heat transfer but I don't have a clue how true that is.
I think summit even sold a restricter disk,washer,device? for small block chevys w/o thermostats.

·
i prefer cars over people
259 Posts
the thermostat regulates coolant flow. to keep the engine at the right temp, it will open AND close while driving. the higher the engine speed, the more heat will be produced. if you were doing a lot of highway driving especially, the coolant could flow thru the rad too fast, keeping it from sufficiently cooling. that could be youre problem.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am waiting till Honda opens on Monday so I can get a thermostat. Does anyone know about how much they are?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
secluded luder said:
i had the same problem... ended up being a head gasket
Ditto to this.. this is exactly what happened with my subaru. did some research and the 98 2.5 rs motors are notorious for that crap.. replaced the head gasket and no more overheating.. unfortunately subarus don't handle being overheated and lots of shit was messed up and I had to sell the car at a huge loss 4 months after I bought it when it had been in the garage for almost 3 of those months..

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked the radiator fan fuse and it is blown and everytime I put another one in there it blows... What could this mean?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it only overheats after getting on it but goes back down a little after the heater is on. I really think that the radiator is clogged and not getting enough flow so it dumps into the overflow bottle. I will see sometime this week because I am giving it to a friend for compression test, pressure test, radiator flush, and whatever else he is going to do to it. I hope this comes out good and not bad... If worse come down it isn't going to bother me because the only big thing that I will have to pay is for all the complete gasket kit. I just don't want to drive my girls 02 Accord coupe 5 speed to work and back because it is nothing like my Lude...

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Did you rewire the rad fan? It was hardwired...

Over flow filling up and gauge going up shows that you're boiling the fluid. Probably do have some blockage if the heater helps it go down. Run some rad flush through it along w/ that new thermo...

·
~~EVIL LAUGH~~~
1,503 Posts
Hey!! The same thing happened to me. It was a head gasket failure too. Good luck.

Just take the radiator out and take it to a radiator shop and have them pressure test it and that way you get to see if there is any blockage or holes.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I bleed the coolant and ran it hard and nothing.... I think that it is fine but I am still going to have it checked anyway. My friend is going to go through the car and check compression, pressure test the radiator, test EGR because of bad gas mileage, and anything else he can go through.

·
~~EVIL LAUGH~~~
1,503 Posts
91hondaluder said:
test EGR because of bad gas mileage, and anything else he can go through.
The EGR really has nothing to do with the gas mileage. It is mostly an emission device. Have you replaced the fuel filter? Last I heard, you just washed it out right. :giggle: :giggle: Try the basic tune-up and that may help your mileage.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hondalude89 said:
The EGR really has nothing to do with the gas mileage. It is mostly an emission device. Have you replaced the fuel filter? Last I heard, you just washed it out right. :giggle: :giggle: Try the basic tune-up and that may help your mileage.

Yes I have replaced it..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts