Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Herp Derp Lerp
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its sad to say that my baby is dying from a disease called "rod knock" She has given me 1 year of hapiness and joy. I do have one question. My oil light has started to flicker, only when i am idleing from driving about 5 mins. Every time it tap the gas it goes away but then it comes right back. Not sure what it means but it doesnt matter, might help some other people out.

But not to worry she'll be getting a newer engine and tranny thanks to Jay on here. Im getting all excited just thinking about it. A buddy and i are gonna drop it in hopefully this weekend and shell be up and running next week. Ill be sure to take pics and make a new post call "Rebirth" or something to that affect.

I just cant let her go. I was having thoughts of selling her but couldnt bear to see my baby go. So i will be buying my parents
1986 Honda Civic Si as a daily beater and driving the lude of the weekends. THats it for now.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
YA! another rebirth project... although this is much more extensive then my rebirth project..

GL BRO!

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
You light is flickering from the loss of oil pressure from the rod knock. I wouldn't drive it anymore because you might get stranded somewhere. Plus the head is probably still good but if you do starve it of oil, it will be useless too.

This is the exact same thing that happened w/ Davids lude before I swapped out blocks and sold it to him...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Make a kill movie just before you swap the engine!

I didn't have time to make a kill movie, since my engine took suicide before i started to film :(

·
Registered
472 Posts
Now's a good time to replace all the seals & hard to access parts; maybe even a stage II clutch:mrgreen: . @ least you get a cool little beater to whip around; '86 civics in general are pretty much extinct where I live due to rust. nyways, Good luck w/ the rebuild.

·
Herp Derp Lerp
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Id rather not kill her by revving to no end but well see. I do want to sell the head and intake manifold and the tranny. I have to drive to work with my car so i think ill be driving the beater. The clutch is so bad on the beater that when i step on the gas its revs all the way up, mind you that it is a 5spd. Cltuch is pretty shot. Ill keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Definitely don't kill the rod-knock engine if you want to part out the head... if the rod goes flying you could get a piston mashed up inside the valves :p

Hope you don't get stuck trying to go uphill with that civic! :) :) :)

·
Herp Derp Lerp
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i PM'd you TEAM

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
Daily Interlude said:
You light is flickering from the loss of oil pressure from the rod knock. I wouldn't drive it anymore because you might get stranded somewhere. Plus the head is probably still good but if you do starve it of oil, it will be useless too.
the loss of oil pressure CAUSED the rod knock...not the other way around.

most likely, you've got bad bearings.

I agree with daily tho...dont drive the car anymore

·
Registered
840 Posts
it's so wierd and sad when these things happen...and i could swear that the durability is almost unbelivable in these cars for being some 19-15 year old engines. but i guess some just give up..... poor treatment by the previous owners probably.

i remeber the 2nd gen lude i had ....damn i roasted the shit out of that engine and it never quit on me...redlined it all the time and doing shitbox style burnouts and brakestands with it, really tortured that thing ...maybe cause it wasnt really mine but still after i sold it i couldnt believe it still ran as good as the previous 10k miles when i got it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts