Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
started Oct.7 2007
I opened my engine to change the internals and I have a problem.
I hope somebody can help me with this.
So I'm building my turbo B20A9 engine and I'm gonna use crower billet rods, wiseco pistons and honda main and rod bearings. My question is can I use the same colours rod bearings if I'm not using the original rods because the colour of the bearing depends on the crank and the rod, right?
I am planning to use Turbonetics T3/T04B Super H, stage 2 .63 A/R turbo. What can I expect from this type of turbo and is it good for our engines?

DYNO GRAPH ADDED ON BOTTOM OF 3RD PAGE - 305HP, 350Nm(258ft-lbs) @19psi

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
It doesn't matter what rods you use since the color on the rod bearings only depends on the crank. If yyou mersure the crank honda has tolerances for which bearings to use.
That turbo sounds good for your engine. It will need about 2700 rpm before it starts boosting but will give you lots of power all the way to 7000 rpm. A smaller T3 will start boosting at lower rpm but will not work at high rpms.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
elmotive the rod bearings depend on the crank and the rod. To see what colour you need to check a number(or letter) on the crank and on the rod. For the main bearing the numbers are on the block and the crank. So may be I'll just buy ACL and don't botter about colours :?

It doesn't matter what rods you use since the color on the rod bearings only depends on the crank. If yyou mersure the crank honda has tolerances for which bearings to use.
That turbo sounds good for your engine. It will need about 2700 rpm before it starts boosting but will give you lots of power all the way to 7000 rpm. A smaller T3 will start boosting at lower rpm but will not work at high rpms.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What do you think for Turbonetics Raptor BOVs and Turbonetics Evolution Wastegates?
And if I understood right 94-01 Integra clutch&fly combo works perfect for 90-91 Prelude right? Anybody can tell me how is the ACT Xtreme PP, Street disc and 8.8lb Fly for a daily driving?

Some pics of the progress:

Engine out of the engine bay:

Here is the engine ready for shipping to my basement :)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Turbonetics are good products and those part also looks awsome. Can't wait to see hoow this build ends. As for the clutch I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
that stock manifold looks awesome...never seen a non cast one.
They are EDM and they are SS. In a thread here on pp.com one member said it flows as good as a DC header. Thats one of the reasons that the B20A9 has 145 bhp. I got two of them laying around...

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are EDM and they are SS. In a thread here on pp.com one member said it flows as good as a DC header. Thats one of the reasons that the B20A9 has 145 bhp. I got two of them laying around...
Wow that makes me proud that I have this type of manifold but I'll have to take it off since I'm going turbo :)

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are some pics of the dyno just before taking the engine out:

It's measured by speed(km/h) and under are the RPMs. The torque is (Nm). I don't know how many ft-lbs is equal to 1Nm so if anybody knows would be helpful.
93,9 whp I'm not satisfied for sure! I don't know why it was so bad but I hope that when I rebuild it it'll be much better:thumbs-up:

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
those AFR's are WAY WAY rich for NA

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
i thought just the heatshield was in stainless steel ?
No it's the other way around. My heatshild shows some rust, but the header don't.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
thats the same bottom end i have. I'm running ACL bearings i think. You'll need to measure the clearances to be sure what bearing you need

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I already know 94-01 Integra Clutch&Flywheel combo fits with no mods in 90 Prelude. I am gonna buy Integra 94-01 Clutch&Flywheel Combo for my 90 Prelude and can you help with the choice. Which one do you think is better and why:
1. ACT Xtreme PP, Hybrid Street Disc, XACT 8,8lbs Flywheel
2. Fidanza 2.1 Clutch, Fidanza 7lbs Flywheel

I hope that I will use these on about 300whp.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I have everythng for my motor in my room and I'm very happy :)

It's B20Luda's turbo mani, wiseco pistons 9:1, crower rods, walbro 255lph hp fuel pump, CP piston rings, honda gasket kits, ACL bearings.
And I bought the joints for 4WS so I hope I'll drive 4WS Prelude soon. The only thing I need to do is to make the shaft and to put the 4ws gear boxes on the car.

I have 2 questions:
Do the fuel pump fits with no mods because I bought it without mounting kit?
How much should be the clearance between the piston and the cylinder. Is it the same as it should be with normal piston or when the pistons are forged it sholud be more? I need this info urgent to tell the machine shop how much I want them to bore the block.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
ive got an intercooler and hks bov and a wastegate for sale in the for sale thread section.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ive got an intercooler and hks bov and a wastegate for sale in the for sale thread section.
Thanks but probably I'll go with Turbonetics charger, BOV and WG just to be as a kit:smilejap:

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anybody can help me with this?

I have 2 questions:
Do the Walbro fuel pump fits with no mods because I bought it without mounting kit?
How much should be the clearance between the piston and the cylinder. Is it the same as it should be with normal piston or when the pistons are forged it sholud be more? I need this info urgent to tell the machine shop how much I want them to bore the block.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yes forged pistons definately need more clearance than stock, I think its almost double.

You should contact wiseco, or you might be able to find the information on their website.

I'm not sure on the fuel pump. I think I've read on here that the civic version drops in with no mods, hopefully someone who has done this will chime in.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts