Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a couple questions on this and its easier to post the write up rather than try to explain everything....enjoy:

First, I have installed 2 sets of hoodpins and these were way easier to install than either of those. However I cannot say that this would work on every car, but with a little know how they are easily fitted to a 4th Gen Prelude.

That being said DISCLAIMER good luck, you screw it up, not my fault

The camlock kit can be purchased at any hardware/home improvement store and is MAG Security Model# 8808KA759, this way they are keyed alike (but any can be easily keyed alike by any knowledgeable locksmith for about $4 or so) The kit comes with all the necessary parts for the install (and some extras), I used the drop down latch and the 90 degree turn mechanism. I promise that will all make sense when you have it in your hand.

The first thing that you have to do is decide where you want them. As shown in the pics above I found a place on both sides that cleared anything that would interfere and went from there. So these spots ended up about 10 inches up from the front of the fender, and then I taped off on the fender this location (as shown below)

I then transferred the measurement across onto the hood:

I then applied another piece of tape to cover the area that would be drilled through (to protect the clearcoat from chipping/cracking), and drew a line on it to show the 10" mark:

I then slipped the latch part under where the fender bolts onto the outer fender and then measured from the center of the camlock to the fender, 1 1/2"

I then transferred this measurement onto the tape on the hood (keep in mind the gap between the fender/hood when closed)

Once marking this, I drilled a pilot hole so I could center the larger bit in the next step ( I used a unibit)

I then measured up the unibit using the "beauty ring washer" that mounts directly under the face of the lock:

Topside after drilling:

Underside:

The underside will have to be made larger, I used the unibit from the underside and then a dremel tool

This hole will have to be large enough to accomodate the socket that will be needed to tighten down the nut on the backside of the lock

This is where you will have to test fit to make sure that the angles are correct, and that with the lock in there that the socket still fits:

Should look something like this

This is the "lock washer", it has 4 little teeth (that dremel made a little smaller-highlighted) and keeps the lock from spinning freely. I also had to grind down one side to fit it in correctly, hightlighted w/ red tint. (the pic isnt all that good, but if you get one in your hands you'll see what I'm talking about)

Lock installed with the latch part attached. The lockset will come with two different "stoppers", one for 90 degree rotation of the lock and one for 180. I used the 90 degree where the lock rotated toward the back of the car for the unlock, and then rotating into the fender

Finished install from the top (single and entire hood)

As stated in the "Prelude Pictures" thread, this was not so much for the lockable feature of these but for the cleaner look than hood pins or having to vastly modify the Hood Lock kit that Mr.Gasket puts out to accomodate the sloping angle of our hoods. All that being said if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

K

·
Registered
298 Posts
Really nice, I like the fact that it's lockable... having a perdy car like that, I'd want my shit locked up if I had it parked in public.

Good job.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks man, I searched, I swear I did.
no problem, it wasnt on here I copied it over from another site it was posted on :tongue:

K

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
I like these :)
only downside is that in utah (among many other states Im sure) having locking hood pins is a failure for safety. they figure they need to get under the hood if the car is in an accident...because the car manufacturers didnt think of any kind of fuel pump shut off feature or anything :rolleyes: the state highway patrol thinks they need to pull a fuse to shut the pump off...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
perfect! but how hard woulod it be to bend one enough to open the hood, it looks like these would benefit from some reinforcing-i.e. thicker metal, anyway, just my two cents.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if i get a CF hood do i have to have hood pins or can i jus use the stock latch?
you can just use the stock latch, but I wouldnt recomend it, safety issue. some kind of hoods pins vs. smashed windshield in my face @ highways speeds......I'll take the pins

perfect! but how hard woulod it be to bend one enough to open the hood, it looks like these would benefit from some reinforcing-i.e. thicker metal, anyway, just my two cents.
They're thicker than they look, 'bout 3/16", I pretty sure the hood will crack before these bend. plus, I just did it for the safety factor (like hood pins) the locking is just a bonus. besides, security, thats what the alarm and the ruger are for?!?!?! If someone wants in there, regardless, they're gonna get in there. Thanks for lookin' guys

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
LOL YO YOU SHOULD SELL THEM ON EBAY!!!!! so much idiot would buy them for like 30 bucs...holy shit

1 - 20 of 50 Posts