Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I couldn't get my hands on the Ludespeed or Gladman Intake (the only 3" outta the bunch) and the LSD wasn't considered a "true" CAI in my eyes:

Ludespeed

Gladman

Legal Speed Designs

There were also other intakes that were adopted, but I'm a cosmetic guy too, so I ruled them out:

for the 3GP?

accord CAI

Integra

I was on the verge of making a "custom" CAI, all-in-all, it's just pipe, but shit I don't has those weldin skillz:

but then I saw this lil guy:

97-01 AEM CAI

ehh, why not, let's give it a try:

Some pre-install pics

yeeaahhh, don't mind those wires, I was debating how many wires I would have to deal with to relocate the fusebox somewhere else.

It is an AEM 3" 5g lude. Installation is like the gladman or lude speed: (cut hole, relocate battery, relocate overflow resevoir) and, inaddition, move/tuck/relocate fusebox (i'm deciding what I should do) + remove fusebox bracket. The lower part of the pipe had to be cut bout 5-6 inches cuz it's too long (better than being too short).

It's a snug fit, but what do ya expect?

It's probably just as good as any of the other pipes shown, but I was looking for a clean lookin one that looked like it was meant for the 3GP. So If you're up for it, give the 5g a try. You can find a replica aem-stlye on ebay for like $20...
more pics tomorrow...

as promised, the walk-around:

The suprise under my battery tray:

Looks like you also had to bend the low pressure line on you AC in order to get it to fit.
I looked into this further. I traced the low pressure a/c line and found that it was held by a bracket toward the firewall. Once I removed the bracket, there is a lot of play, so I was able to move it below the intake and not bend anything that would screw with the a/c come summer time, and don't worry, I'm relocating the fusebox...probably to the glovebox.

The little air-scoop:

materials:

-5th gen AEM-Style CAI
-Cone Filter
-45 degree Coupler & a 2.5-to-3 inch reducer Coupler
-4 Clamps
-Small hose to connect vavle-cover breather to intake side-port

5GP Installation GUIDELINES
full.circle said:
hey where did you get your 45* coupler? i need one for saturday when i put the 5th gen AEM cold air in but i cant find one at kragen or pepobys
I had the same troubles.
I resolved to ebay. There's plenty of sellers who got them for cheap. I specifically bought this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-in...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I've had no complaints.

Good luck and be very patient!!!!!

Here's a few pointers--just to take some of the guesswork out.

• Take off the bumper
  • Protect your fenders with towels or somethin
  • Download this template:
http://mustardcat.brinkster.net/p3g/Legacy/Coldairintake/cai_tem1.doc

In the word doc: the 2 small holes align with holes left from the battery tray removal and the big one is the one to cut. Keep in mind that this is just a guide to the actual location of the hole. It will have to be bigger, and have a "teardrop-oval" shape since the 5GP intake is slanted.

Tools used were a 3-3.5" hole-saw + portable grinder.

• The fusebox will have to be taken off it's mount + the bracket removed.
We used a metal-snips and grinded the remains with the grinder + touch-up paint.

• relocate the overflow tank--unbolt it & unplug it. slide it out. and throw it on the other side of it. It actually rests nicely on the crossmember and replug. --I ended up buying a universal-one on ebay to replace that our odd-shaped one anyways.
  • You're going to notice that the bottom extends much longer than needed, about 6-7" extra--I think. Do a test fit FIRST and THEN mark it up, and cut as needed with a hack-saw or a pipe-cutter.
  • You'll also notice that the purpose of the 45 elbow is due to there being a wall litterally centimeters next the hole--and ofcourse the cone filter wont fit then...
  • The extra pipe you have left over:use it to connect the cone filter and 45 elbow--may have to cut the extra pipe as needed.
  • If you have a/c: there's a bracket towards the fire-wall "supporting" the hardline. unbolt it from that and you'll have more play...meaning the hardline can put under rather than over the intake.
  • I was able to connect the intake to the throttle body with one of those spectre couplers at autozone/checker/schucks. But if you can find a slightly longer one, that will make things easier.
you'll need a 3" to 2.5" coupler.

The only concern I think there was was that it comes in very-close proximity to the distributor cap, but it clears it enough :scool:

sounds like a lot a work for some, but you got to remember it wasn't made for a 3G :spinface:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Holy Shit Dude The CAI for the 5th Gen lude fits the 3Gen perfect..lol....
ohhh shit...How much You pay for the intake bro??
I might just try this cause im very picky about looks in my engine bay and im really diggin this 5g CAI in my 3rd gen....

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got mine off ebay for like $20. So it wasn't a big loss for me if it didn't work out. It's probably not the authentic AEM. But I compared this pipe to my buddy's 5g "authentic" AEM, and it's exact.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Holy Shit Dude The CAI for the 5th Gen lude fits the 3Gen perfect..lol....
ohhh shit...How much You pay for the intake bro??
I might just try this cause im very picky about looks in my engine bay and im really diggin this 5g CAI in my 3rd gen....
that shit look sick dude..I noticed that you had to move the fusebox a lil though..is that that only thing you had to do to make it fit?
reading, it is your friend.

i just might do this to my car when i get all the other problems fixed..
i get bored easily. lol
anybody ever put a CAI on an automatic?
:colgate:

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Seems like a lot of work to go through. I wouldn't exactly say it's a perfect fit since you also had to move the fuse block along with everything else you did, but it looks good. Looks like you also had to bend the low pressure line on you AC in order to get it to fit.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anybody ever put a CAI on an automatic?
:colgate:
You're looking at it.

Seems like a lot of work to go through. I wouldn't exactly say it's a perfect fit since you also had to move the fuse block along with everything else you did, but it looks good. Looks like you also had to bend the low pressure line on you AC in order to get it to fit.
It's a good-fit in the sense that it doesn't run into any of the walls/frame, it rather follows the curves well.

The fusbox is like 2 screws, and a little shift. You don't have to extend wires.

The a/c line is kinda just sitting ontop. I didn't bend anything, but if I did it'd probably look better. A lot of people on the forum have deleted their a/c, so It shouldn't be an obstacle to them.

Regardless of which CAI you use, a relocate of battery is required.

·
Registered
464 Posts
This is great to know, its great to have options. Cant wait to see more pics.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Any idea witch one you bought off ebay? After reading through your thread and seeing these pictures I'm convinced that I want an intake like that. After I finish getting all my turbo parts together ill use it for my other lude. Great find though man looks perfect !!!!!:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I think that is really sick i like it alot i think it should be in the sticky it really shows well the diffent ones you can use keep up the good work

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i dont know if it should be stickied, but at least put in the 3rd Gen FAQ/Resources.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
good work man! i have a 5GP aem cai im chopping up to go in, i still need to repaint it and get a filter and im done

1 - 20 of 79 Posts