Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got the lude put back together and test started it... and it seems to be shaking weird
and its idling inbetween 1000 and 500 bouncing around

i took out all the egr stuff
i.e charcoal canister,vaccum tanks,egr valve
and all the other crap

and im just wondering if it has anything to do with that
or if there is another reason...

how long should i run it to get a check engine light?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
you might have a vac leak somewhere and my cel is not on but I have two codes jus pull back the carpet where the ecu is and count the blinks

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
why would you remove any of those things let alone all of them? you're going to get multiple trouble codes, and the car is never going to run right now. you're also going to be venting fuel vapors into the engine bay potentially causing an explosion

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
Yeah mang the charcoal canister cleans fuel vapors and sends them back to the gas tank. Not only will you loose fuel with it unplugged, but risk a fire. You could park the thing in your garage and next thing you know, the house is on fire. Hell, you might be rollin down to see some chick and BAM! the damn car goes up in flames.

Shaking sounds like engine mounts. Also, check that all cylinders are firing.

Bouncy idle sounds like vacuum leak or you didn't bleed the air from the coolant.

Run the car until the engine reaches normal operating temperature. Sometimes a short drive afterwards. Then you can shut it off and check for codes.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
Yeah mang the charcoal canister cleans fuel vapors and sends them back to the gas tank. Not only will you loose fuel with it unplugged, but risk a fire. You could park the thing in your garage and next thing you know, the house is on fire. Hell, you might be rollin down to see some chick and BAM! the damn car goes up in flames.

Shaking sounds like engine mounts. Also, check that all cylinders are firing.

Bouncy idle sounds like vacuum leak or you didn't bleed the air from the coolant.

Run the car until the engine reaches normal operating temperature. Sometimes a short drive afterwards. Then you can shut it off and check for codes.
actually, the charcoal canister is between the gas tank and the purge valve. when the gas tank builds up a certain amount of pressure, the purge valve blips occasionally letting the pressure (fuel vapors) pass through the charcoal canister and into the intake manifold. the purpose for this is to keep the gas tank below a certain pressure as to not disrupt the fuel pump's operation and fpr's operation, and helps increase gas mileage a bit.
removing the charcoal canister would obviously either leave the vapor/vent line vented to atmosphere (extreme fire/explosion hazard), or plug the vent line and cause strain on the fuel system enough to fluctuate engine running conditions negatively in several ways

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
actually, the charcoal canister is between the gas tank and the purge valve. when the gas tank builds up a certain amount of pressure, the purge valve blips occasionally letting the pressure (fuel vapors) pass through the charcoal canister and into the intake manifold. the purpose for this is to keep the gas tank below a certain pressure as to not disrupt the fuel pump's operation and fpr's operation, and helps increase gas mileage a bit.
removing the charcoal canister would obviously either leave the vapor/vent line vented to atmosphere (extreme fire/explosion hazard), or plug the vent line and cause strain on the fuel system enough to fluctuate engine running conditions negatively in several ways
Yes, I agree. There are several functions for the system and purge is one of them.

I just want to add that when a vehicle is shut off, fuel vapors pass from the IM through the system. In my 88 S, I removed the canister because it was filled with water (!!) and causing issues. Although I plugged the purge line to the tank, the vapors remaining in the carbs and IM were escaping and trapped in my garage. The fuel vapor smell only occurred when the vehicle was shut off. I've since replaced the canister and now the fuel vapor smell has disappeared.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
Yes, I agree. There are several functions for the system and purge is one of them.

I just want to add that when a vehicle is shut off, fuel vapors pass from the IM through the system. In my 88 S, I removed the canister because it was filled with water (!!) and causing issues. Although I plugged the purge line to the tank, the vapors remaining in the carbs and IM were escaping and trapped in my garage. The fuel vapor smell only occurred when the vehicle was shut off. I've since replaced the canister and now the fuel vapor smell has disappeared.
that doesnt apply for fuel injected ludes. when the car is shut off the system is sealed. nothing passes backwards through the vent line. when the car is off there shouldnt be any fuel in the intake mani anyway lol

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
did u adjust the fast idle valve?...thats a common bouncy/rough idle problem. as for the engine shaking, the idle fluctuating back and forth(im assuming rapidly)will cause it to "shake".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts