Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys! so, i bought my 1990 honda prelude SR B21A1 2.1L a couple months ago, and the interior and exterior is beautiful! a couple bubbles on the rear wheel wells, gas tank cap, and above the windshield neer the sunroof is all that there is for rust. she is gorgeous :) since the day i bought it i have,

ripped it appart, replaced the piston rings and a couple burnt valvs (was wierd) and i've done all gaskets etc, did all brakes everything, made her pretty damn prime.

on a side note, i got bitched at alot for only replacing piston rings and not machining the block, but from what i've heard, once the FRM sleeves are machined the engine is fucked. 3000kms in, my piston rings have seated beautifully, my car burns no oil, i have good compression, and she runs great!

anyway, im 18 years old and have quite a bit of pride, and im SICK of getting my ass handed to me by grandma cars!!!!! like common!!

i pull up with the guys, the Supra comes out, the mustang comes out, the suburu comes out, and the Prelude comes out.

whats there to brag about my Prelude? umm...well my car has an amazing interior with 326 degree view, and...the lowest production hoodline? that helps with... really nothing it seems because any car on the road seems to beat me. my Dads carolla seems to have more acceleration.

ANYWAY. why do you guys love you preludes? and if you've hated the power issue, what have you done? and how hard was it for you to do, what was the cost?

·
Premium Member
17,034 Posts
...anyway, im 18 years old and have quite a bit of pride, and im SICK of getting my ass handed to me by grandma cars!!!!! like common!!

i pull up with the guys, the Supra comes out, the mustang comes out, the suburu comes out, and the Prelude comes out.

whats there to brag about my Prelude? umm...well my car has an amazing interior with 326 degree view, and...the lowest production hoodline? that helps with... really nothing it seems because any car on the road seems to beat me. my Dads carolla seems to have more acceleration.

ANYWAY. why do you guys love you preludes? and if you've hated the power issue, what have you done? and how hard was it for you to do, what was the cost?

If you want more power, your choices are to turbo charge or do the H22/23 swap.

You will still have the handle capabilities of the lude going either route.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
theres a guy selling a 4ws prelude with a blown motor, he wants 600 bucks, lives an hour or so away i'd need to tow it back, is it worth getting to pull the 4ws and slap it into my car? also....do i need a hoist to do the swap, or does a hoist just make it easier?

·
Registered
539 Posts
For me its the 4WS i love that shit is like crack for crackheads lol
I hate driving anything that is not 4ws.

and the power issue, is not a real issue when you take on cars that are in your class.

like other 80's early 90's 4 to 6 cylinder cars.

if you line up against mustangs, superboo's and other more powerfull more expencive cars. then yeah you are going to feel like there is a low power feeling.

go for civics, cavilears, accords, focuses, neons, and shit like that.

and if you want to know more about the 4ws swap search around on this site. there is plenty of info. just good luck on finding one. I am the ONLY 4ws prelude that i seen for over a year here where i live. i have seen over 3g ludes in junkyards, but none that were 4ws.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
hey guys! so, i bought my 1990 honda prelude SR B21A1 2.1L a couple months ago, and the interior and exterior is beautiful! a couple bubbles on the rear wheel wells, gas tank cap, and above the windshield neer the sunroof is all that there is for rust. she is gorgeous :) since the day i bought it i have,

ripped it appart, replaced the piston rings and a couple burnt valvs (was wierd) and i've done all gaskets etc, did all brakes everything, made her pretty damn prime.

on a side note, i got bitched at alot for only replacing piston rings and not machining the block, but from what i've heard, once the FRM sleeves are machined the engine is fucked. 3000kms in, my piston rings have seated beautifully, my car burns no oil, i have good compression, and she runs great!

anyway, im 18 years old and have quite a bit of pride, and im SICK of getting my ass handed to me by grandma cars!!!!! like common!!

Who ever told you that is wrong!! I have honed/machined FRM B21's many times and never had any issues, it just depends on the process you use and stones you use to do it. YES you SHOULD hone the cylinders before you install the rings, your engine probably still had enough cross hatch left to seat in the new rings. You got lucky in my opinion, but hey as long as its not burning oil thats all that matters.

But anyway I enjoy the 3rd gens because they were the best handling preludes off all the 5 generations. Not a huge fan of the b20a5 or b21a1 engines but everything has its downfalls. They have that "car style" unlike most of the newer cars which are full of curves and other styling junk. If you ask me, the 3rd gen was the last production car from honda that is worth a dam when it comes to appearance.

·
Registered
539 Posts
pics now!!!!!!! or pedo bear will visit your cat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts