Honda Prelude Forum banner

601 - 620 of 625 Posts

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #601
Super long update warning.

On June 21st, I decided I would tackle my hazed-over hood that needed a little bit of wetsanding and buffing.

About two weeks ago, I decided it was time to turn this project around and start focusing on returning it to it's former glory. Fixing the little things that needed attention, taking time to do things right, and fix all the little hackjobs I'd done over the years.

Saturday night (6/29) I decided I was going to change a hose clamp on my "custom" cold air intake tube. I had cut up an extra Civic short ram I had laying around and re-routed the filter below, into the fender. This made the intake temps drop a pretty considerable amount, based on the "hand" test- after driving around with the short ram, the intake tube was almost too warm to hold onto. After the ghetto-rigged cold air intake, it was actually cold to the touch. Success.

And that snowballed into ripping the front half of my car apart.

I ended up taking apart my passenger's side headlight to fix the shroud that was loose on the projector (you can see it in the first picture). My mom wasn't really happy when she came home to a headlight in her new oven. :rofl:

Among other things, I found some grip tape laying around and finally decided to do this little trick. Of course I vacuumed after I took this picture.

I decided to stop being a ricer, and put everything back into the trunk of my car. I was surprised as to how much quieter everything was after doing this. A little trick for you guys that carry tools in the back of your car, but hate when everything slides around- a little grip tape on the bottom of the box keeps things from sliding around. :wink:

Then I went to the warehouse district and used one of the bigass buildings to help me aim my projectors again. This is a before shot, I forgot to take an after shot.

And last night. I watched some Initial D with my fiance before she had to leave for working an overnight shift. So I went out and drove around.

Even though I love driving my M3, my Prelude still has a big place in my heart. Doing little things like I did that weekend made me fall back in love with it, so this winter, I've decided to tear apart (again) and give it the rebuild it properly deserves. That entails a fresh shortblock, paint, and a few JDM goodies that I've been stashing for a while now.

June 1st officially marked 5 years that I've owned my Prelude. Hard to believe I've had this thing that long.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #602
That brings us to last night.

With the annual Rochester ZCCR car show coming up, I decided, "Why not put myself through hell and try to do bodywork in a week?"

I still don't know what the fuck I was thinking, but there's no turning back at this point. Time to thrash and paint the quarter panels that I've been neglected for the past three years.

Yeah. This is gonna suck.

In the meantime, I'm going to try to set aside some time to focus on getting this little bastard on there as well.

·
Registered
476 Posts
so how did you fix the quarter panels?

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #604 (Edited)
so how did you fix the quarter panels?
A lot of welding, some fiberglass, and a whole lot of patients. I forgot to update this, sorry for the late reply.

Here's a few pics of the in-between stages of paint.

Metal patch welded in with a skim coat of body filler over the top

Primed around the entire edge of the quarters after doing some extensive metalwork on the lips

Wetsanding all of the primer with 1000-grit

I threw a coat of black paint over the primer to see where I needed to sand more, then wetsanded the paint and primer again.

After painting. The clear came out really dry, so I knew I had to block sand the whole thing again.

The driver's side, same story as the other side of the car. Lots and lots of wetsanding. Luckily, there's 3 coats of clear on the quarters.

After stepping the wetsanding down to 2000 grit, water was just thrown on top.

Reassembly after wetsanding both sides and unmasking the car. Now you can see how the paint really came out.

On the ground.

Close-up of the quarter panel lips and the flatness of the paint after all of my goddamn wetsanding. :lol:

And the finished product. There was quite a bit of wetsanding and polishing involved, I don't know why I didn't take any more photos of it.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
great job.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Body work is like scary voodoo magic to me. I'm really impressed.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #607
I haven't updated this in forever. I guess I'll start where I left off last September.

September 21st, I got married! Naturally, my wife wanted to use the car we rode in for our first real date, so I got it all dolled up...

...and it was our chariot for the day.

Our photographer, Josiah Moore, did this awesome photoshop for us too!

http://fstoppers.com/using-photoshop-to-turn-a-wedding-reception-in-to-a-police-chase

We went on our honeymoon blah blah blah came back, and got back to my old antics. October came, and so did the rain. I bought an '01 GMC Sierra as my winter ride/parts hauler, so I could afford to stash my M3 and Prelude away for the winter. The garage was getting full.

I horsed around with my younger brother in his EG, and enjoyed the rest of the fall as much as I could.

I put the car away in the middle of November, and started daily driving the truck. I gave my wife my '99 Accord to daily drive, so I was pretty much stuck driving a fuel whore all winter. :lol:

The second week in December, I found a screaming deal on a 330Ci that I simply couldn't pass up on. Premium package, sport package, xenon headlights, Harmon Kardon stereo, heated seats, blah blah blah. As much as I hated cleaning a black car, I knew it was perfect for my wife- so she keeps her hands off of my M3 and the Prelude. :rofl:

Naturally, it needed a little work. The Prelude project was derailed once again.

And then, a wonderful thing happened. I bought Billy's H22 shortblock with Type S pistons, Crower Maxi Lite rods, balance shaft delete, and all the fixings from Endyn. I was excite.

This gives me a starting point that finally gets me to where I want to be. I'll be able to use my current cylinder head that's been port matched with new flat-faced valves, and eventually add some springs/retainers/cams.

I picked up a chipped P72 ECU and conversion harness locally for a good price, and decided that I might as well jump in with both feet and get the car on track.

A few years ago, I sold off my Enkei Evo wheels to help fund some other stuff, and I regretted the shit out of that decision. I looked high and low for another clean set to start with, but it was boarderline impossible to find a set of wheels that fit the bill so well. Just as I gave up the search, something strange happened: the guy who bought my wheels sent me a message, and asked if I wanted my old wheels back- NT01's still mounted, and he'd throw in a pair of Toyo R888's.

I couldn't say no.

Then, somehow, a few weeks later, I ran across these little bastards.

So I bought them, too. :lol:

Then some other stuff happened, I got busy with the house and getting the 330Ci on the road. I ended up selling the gunmetal BBS wheels to a close friend who's using them on his S13 project.

I dolled up my Etoile 455's in prep for this coming show season, but, time and money rule again. They're just hanging out in my basement with my block.

A week or two ago, I gave the Prelude it's first oil change since last August (with only 1,500 miles on the oil) and switched to Rotella T6 5w-40, in an effort to reduce some oil burnoff and give the tired old block a little more time until I can afford to assemble the other one.

I drove it to and from work, pounded some back roads, and broke some stuff in the process. An axle, sway bar link, and some exhaust hangers later, the car was back in action.

That brings us up to last night. I raised the car a healthy inch and a half, threw the EVO wheels back on it, and got it ready for an upcoming autocross.

Once I get more time and money, I'll be installing a PLX wideband, the P72 ECU w/ Crome, and squeeze all that I can out of the stock block before I get the other one together.

That's pretty much it, slow progress sadly.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
MLM, I'm loving that photoshop work done by your photographer.....looks great and congrats on your marriage! :)

Now I know which oil I'd be using on my next oil change. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
So it was you!!!!! I saw that shortblock when Billy put it up for sale. I was so chapped I had just bought a stock engine swap when my motor popped only to see this show up a week after for nearly the same price. Congrats on everything, really jelly of that bottom end.

Also curious how the new plugs are working in the bmw? I bought a 07 3 series this year and was going to do the plugs only to realize oem were 4 tip and replacement ngk's were a single tip. Decided to hold off for a while since they didn't need to be done and simply returned the plugs since I was sceptical.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #610
MLM, I'm loving that photoshop work done by your photographer.....looks great and congrats on your marriage! :)

Now I know which oil I'd be using on my next oil change. Thanks.
He really did go above and beyond what we expected. It'll be cool showing it to my kids someday. :)
So it was you!!!!! I saw that shortblock when Billy put it up for sale. I was so chapped I had just bought a stock engine swap when my motor popped only to see this show up a week after for nearly the same price. Congrats on everything, really jelly of that bottom end.

Also curious how the new plugs are working in the bmw? I bought a 07 3 series this year and was going to do the plugs only to realize oem were 4 tip and replacement ngk's were a single tip. Decided to hold off for a while since they didn't need to be done and simply returned the plugs since I was sceptical.
:D Yup, it was me. Sadly, it's still in the same condition as what it arrived, it's killing me that I haven't put it together and in the car yet.

The plugs work awesome, the NGK Iridiums are what I use in both BMW's and my Prelude. The factory 4-prong spark plugs are really only intended to be a failsafe, since they have such a long service interval. If one prong fouls, another takes it's place in the ring and the motor soldiers on. Some guys make the switch since the iridium plugs put less strain on the ignition components; I like them because they have a long service life that's consistent.

A word of caution: If you do switch plugs, ONLY get Iridium plugs from NGK or Bosch.

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
1,697 Posts
Been so long since I checked your thread... So much happened that I hadn't seen on FB.

As always I take my hat off to you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Awesome build man...

Hey man, I just read through your whole build thread because I liked your wheels in your signature! Lol, anyway, looks like it's been a while, any updates?

I've been lurking around Prelude forums for years, but I haven't been active since before 2001ish... long story, I'll have to tell it in my own thread some day, but anyway I really like your detail and have enjoyed your thread!

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #614
Wow. So it's been a few years, eh?

I'll reserve this post for going back 3 years and adding things that I've done. :lol:

3 years ago:

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #617 (Edited)
And, finally, this year.

On Monday night, I finally dragged my POS home from winter storage. <3 Managed to sneak it home while the roads were dry but dusty last night.

And then I tore it apart in the garage after everyone went to bed. I re-installed the factory intake tube and air filter box, gave it a much-needed oil change, and started tearing out my poorly-assembled air/oil separator.

Last night I wrapped up going through the annual "spring cleaning" of the Prelude.

Oil change with Brotella T6, installed a factory intake tube and air box with a new filter, checked the plugs, re-routed the catch can on the PCV side and added an additional catch can on the intake side (thanks worn piston rings), and tried something I haven't done before: exhaust heat wrapping.

I got 100' of the DEI Titanium heat wrap from Advance Auto for $50 after a coupon and free shipping (seriously, it pays to shop around), and was torn on using the bolt-together Mugen header that was already on the car, or installing the Hytech replica with shitty slip joints. After getting the Hytech knockoff on the car halfway, and realizing that there's no sound way to get everything to seal and wrap properly... my grown-up side won, and I ended up wrapping the Mugen header instead and reinstalling it. It was so much easier to bolt back on the car, and I know it won't leak and sound like shit.

Getting closer to the OE+ look that I'm after. The DC strut bar has to go, it's just a matter of time before a Type S unit pops up.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #620
Hey man - do me a favor. Make the pics larger. I can barely see them!
AAAAAH I DON'T KNOW WHAT WENT WRONG!

Hang on, I'll try to fix it. I'm not sure why this happens every time I dump photos from imgur on here.
thread revival of the year award right [email protected]
:laugh: I haven't done much beyond drive the car and do a few minor changes from time to time. Billy's shortblock is still in my basement... next to a handful of other parts that I've stockpiled.

601 - 620 of 625 Posts