Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 625 Posts

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been putting this off for a few weeks now, but i figured it was time to start this. For the past month, i've been doing little things here and there to my car. In the next month or two, my car will be going through a bit of a restoration, per se.

I'll start from a month ago.

I ripped apart the entire engine compartment for one purpose- take every nut, bolt, and fastener and re-coat it the original nickle-cadmium gold.

This lead to me pulling off my starter... and polishing/painting that too. :)

Then, i decided it was time to re-do my calipers... again. The baby blue looked like ass, and it never really looked right with a black car.

And now... the biggest problem and undergoing yet... *drumroll*

The quarter panels.

If there is ONE tidbit of advice i can give to fellow Luder's, it's this... DO NOT BUY ONE THAT HAS BEEN DRIVEN THROUGH WINTER. I have been putting off doing this paintjob all summer, and i'm paying dearly for it right now. I'll let the horrendous photos speak for themselves.

After prying away a little bit with an ice pick... i was ready to puke. I knew it was this bad, my worst nightmares materialized.

And so begins the metalwork...

Sandblasting the CRAP out of all the cancer

STAY TUNED...

·
You myron?
1,540 Posts
Ah Honda cancer... NY winters suck. I bought my Lude in Florida so this will be my ludes second winter 0 rust, but I did have a ton of paint fade. Look like you're making good progress and you do great bodywork (no **** lol). Did you remove the little piece of weather stripping in the wheel well that covers the fender lip? A lot of crap and water gets caught in there causing rust.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah Honda cancer... NY winters suck. I bought my Lude in Florida so this will be my ludes second winter 0 rust, but I did have a ton of paint fade. Look like you're making good progress and you do great bodywork (no **** lol). Did you remove the little piece of weather stripping in the wheel well that covers the fender lip? A lot of crap and water gets caught in there causing rust.
Thanks! I spend a LOT of time getting the bodywork right, my old man is a pro at it so i pick up a lot of it from him. He helped me do my hood earlier this year (see below)

Yeah, trashing that piece of rubber weatherstrip was the FIRST thing i did when i bought the car- but i was too late. The idiot who had the car before me drove it through 1 full winter, then let the car set all summer long- resulting in the fender lips being drenched in salt water the whole time. :( The rest of the car is spotless- underneath the car there is absolutely no rot at all.

It kills me to see the car like this. I wish i could just put new quarters on it and be done.

Before:

After:

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cancer finally all cut out, patches tack welded in... sorry, these photos suck. I deleted my other photos before i had a chance to upload. :banghead:

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Goodbye rust. Hello new metal. :) Note- THIS IS NOT HOW THE FINAL FIT AND FINISH LOOKS ON THE PANELS. I did a shit-ton of grinding, forming, shaping, smoothing, finish welding, and blending before i called this patch-job done. Just so you guys don't think i'm a total hack. :|

I've been doing something else besides bodywork these past few days too... if you look really close at the pictures, you'll notice something missing from the suspension of my car.

Here's a little teaser pic... you guys are gonna have to wait till tomorrow night to see the good photos. :)

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Go low or go the fuck home! Coilovers are in... now i just gotta level out the backs a little bit. All i can say is... what a night and day difference between these bad boys and my old S-Techs. :| Got stability?

My friend followed me in his slammed Mustang... he thought it was HILARIOUS when my exhaust scraped on every little dip in the road. :laugh:

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The curse is VERY real...

Last night, at about 3am, i went around a curve at ~45mph, kind of apexing it just for shits and giggles. about 3/4 of the way through the curve, a deer ran out in front of me. I stabbed the brakes, which sent the back of the car sideways. The car came around to the right too hard, i counter-steered, over-corrected, and went sideways off of the road, into a cornfield. The impact ripped my front bumper off, and slightly tweaked my alignment. I managed to get the car out and limp home, luckily my friend was following me in his CR-V- he let me stuff my front bumper in the back. It didn't look like anything serious had happened last night, so i went to bed and slept in all day. I got up today, walked outside to inspect the damage, and about puked...

There are about 25 dents in the side, on the hood, the trunk, and on the top of the door pillar altogether. My car will never, ever be as straight as it was ever again. :( Needless to say, the car is done for the season. Looks like a have a shit-ton of bodywork to do... at least i have 'till next spring. :emthdown:

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
Was just checking this out and was gonna say it looked great.... You were on the right track. Mine needs the same type of TLC. Good luck on getting it to where you want to be!

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dammn dat sucks!!!GL.. ur in macedon ? cool i live in farmington/canandaigua.....
I've actually seen you around locally- i know i saw your car at least once in Arena 51 on sunday nights during the summer. I'm out in CA a lot though, i know quite a few people out that way!

Was just checking this out and was gonna say it looked great.... You were on the right track. Mine needs the same type of TLC. Good luck on getting it to where you want to be!
Thanks man, she'll be straightened out by this spring. I'm glad you got to see her out in the parking lot before this crap happened! Are you still cruising around in your Prelude, or do you have another DD like me?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
woo.. I was reading this from the beginning and saying to myself
"cool, i'm glad hes' doing all this. I like how maticulious he is and everything will look so good when its done!" ...

Then i got to the cornfield part.. bah sucks man. What are all the little dents from? I mean i know you went off the road but was it corn that did it? and i'm not being sarcastic. :crazy:

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
woo.. I was reading this from the beginning and saying to myself
"cool, i'm glad hes' doing all this. I like how maticulious he is and everything will look so good when its done!" ...

Then i got to the cornfield part.. bah sucks man. What are all the little dents from? I mean i know you went off the road but was it corn that did it? and i'm not being sarcastic. :crazy:
Haha, thanks man, i appreciate that someone notices the work i do! I'm a total neat freak and a stickler for the details.

As far as all the little dents... yeah, that's from the corn alright- hitting stalks and large, heavy, dried-out ears of corn going sideways at 40mph will do that. :emthdown: I'm pulling the motor out of the car early next month, i'm stopping at the insurance agency tomorrow morning to take it off the road till this spring. :( It's gonna be a long winter, boys.

·
Fuuuuuuuu
1,685 Posts
You would have almost been better off hitting the deer. Fu*k man thats a shitty way to end the season but I'm sure it will come back better next year. Too bad you live in bumf*ck egypt or else id help you with the bodywork:p

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You would have almost been better off hitting the deer. Fu*k man thats a shitty way to end the season but I'm sure it will come back better next year. Too bad you live in bumf*ck egypt or else id help you with the bodywork:p
Lol! Thanks for the kind gesture, it's nice to know people are willing to lend a helping hand. Same goes for anyone near me- i'm all about helping the cause. Shit, i drove almost an hour and a half after working 8 hours to help "hasahach" put the new motor in his car. :laugh:

The ONE thing that scares me the absolute most, is the fact that i think i tweaked the core support a little. :crazy: The radiator has no play in it right now front to back, and i noticed that the passenger side tow hook is bent inward a little bit... that corner of my core support was hit before, and i knew it was slightly bent- but i looked at it tonight, and it looks worse. The passenger's side sits about 1/2 of an inch higher than the driver's side. :-(

I hope it's just a minor tweak, and i didn't fuck up the subframe of the car. All the panels (hood, headlight, fender) still line up the same, so i think i MIGHT be okay. GOD i hope so. :redface:

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have decided... that she's not done for the season yet.

I just spent 6 hours getting the car straightened out as best as i can. The core support in the front of the car is tweaked, but not enough to totally throw everything off (thank god)

Made this to ease the pain:

1 - 20 of 625 Posts