Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we did a head swap for a buddy and we've somehow mixed them up. :crazy: Is there a way to tell which rocker arms went with which head...and which location they should go (like intake vs exhaust and which cylinder if that matters too)?

TIA.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
hahaha i dident know it made a diffence Im glad you asked i would of just put them in how ever they fit

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
I don't really think it matters as long as you do a valve lash adjustment, like team suggests. Mine got mixed up when I had my cams out. I tried to see if I could tell a difference in them, but couldn't. I just put them in, no particular order. It's been running fine for 18 months or so, so I'd have to say I didn't hurt anything. Or I just got lucky. In any event, I would try to put them back in the same place they came out if at all possible in the future, or for anyone else planning to do head work.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If they are worn they should be put back in the same spots to match the wear pattern. Also, if they are work you might as well replace them. If they have little to no wear then it doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
That's why I couldn't discern where mine came out of, because there was no wear pattern. There was supposedly only a couple thousand miles on the head when I bought it, and I guess the seller wasn't lying about it, lol.

·
Premium Member
16,906 Posts

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We've done the valve lash but they thought there was a problem with them getting mixed up. I will let them know that it don't matter. Maybe just do another lash adjustment to be sure. I know I took the best of the bunch from the 2 heads.

I'm not even sure what is entirely wrong with the prelude...I haven't seen it since we put the head on and did the lash. I did test drive it and it seemed to run ok. And unfortunately, I don't have time to get back over and check again.

I do remember that there are markings on the rockers. Anyone know what they stand for/mean?

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
i'll also x2 the fact that the rockers are the same on intake and exhaust, so you can mix them up.
it just requires doing the valve lash after its all assembled. but that should be done anyway even if you put them back in the same location. simply re-torquing the cam caps requires a fresh valve lash adjustment even

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
i'll also x2 the fact that the rockers are the same on intake and exhaust, so you can mix them up.
it just requires doing the valve lash after its all assembled. but that should be done anyway even if you put them back in the same location. simply re-torquing the cam caps requires a fresh valve lash adjustment even
i am glad you said that. gonna ask a quick question on this though. as i have never done it and not heard in any of the threads i have read, is there a before and after valve lash adjustment. bout to get engine in the car, and it hasn't been run yet so is this step performed twice. thanks for the help.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
i am glad you said that. gonna ask a quick question on this though. as i have never done it and not heard in any of the threads i have read, is there a before and after valve lash adjustment. bout to get engine in the car, and it hasn't been run yet so is this step performed twice. thanks for the help.
i always set the valve lash before starting the car for the first time, which is necessary, and then after like 100-200 miles i check and adjust it again just to be sure, cuz the parts will wear in during that time especially if you mixed the rockers up

1 - 20 of 25 Posts