Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I put my turbo on, and I went to test the oil lines and such to see if they were leaking, and my car runs like shit. I believe it is back fireing. It starts to do it while sitting, then under load. When I took it for a drive, it wouldn't rev past 4k. I have new plugs(lt. brown color, nothing out of the ordinary) new wires, cap, rotor MSD blaster coil. The timing is set at 10+ with -1 cam timing. I put a new headgasket in, and it does not consume any coolant or oil. Fuel pressure is 39psi at idle and 44psi at wot. New to finding this kind of problem, so please, any advice on this so I can continue boosting my car!

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
So, I put my turbo on, and I went to test the oil lines and such to see if they were leaking, and my car runs like shit. I believe it is back fireing. It starts to do it while sitting, then under load. When I took it for a drive, it wouldn't rev past 4k. I have new plugs(lt. brown color, nothing out of the ordinary) new wires, cap, rotor MSD blaster coil. The timing is set at 10+ with -1 cam timing. I put a new headgasket in, and it does not consume any coolant or oil. Fuel pressure is 39psi at idle and 44psi at wot. New to finding this kind of problem, so please, any advice on this so I can continue boosting my car!
well did you happen to put larger injectors on? becouse you will need to tune those suckers down for low speed/0 boost running conditions. are you smelling alot of fuel? what kind of instrumentation do you have?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not put my injectors in yet (dsm 450cc "blacktops"), though one seems to leak a bit. I have a apexi afc neo to controll all of this chaos. I pulled the plugs and they were brown ish then grey. cyl.1 seemed more black, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
hmmm sounds like youve got a timing issue if its not fuel. you may have too much timing offset. make sure you check all your vacuum lines and electrical connectors to make sure they all got put back and not damaged. if all is well then try putting your timing back a little closer to normal

·
Registered
2,898 Posts

What does +10 mean with the timing? Is that 10 degrees advanced or 10 degrees retarded? The timing should be at stock advance until the motor sees boost, then it should retard (I think) about 2 degrees for every 1 PSI of boost.

C|

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, 10 degrees advanced. I put it back to zero, I have my cam timing advanced 1 degree, could this cause the shitty running? everything worked well, then I parked it to put the turbo on, and now it runs like piss....help

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
1 degree off shouldnt effect it that much. with the cam back at 0 you should have seen an improvment at least. you could pull your injectors and check the screens. i had one once that did all kinds of missfiring and rough idle. turned out to be plugged injector screens

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
10 degrees advanced is no good. You want timing retard under boost. 1 degree on the cam timing won't make much difference either way.

Is there is an easy way to disconnect or bypass the AFC? I would first try that to see if it's goofing things up.

C|

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Is there is an easy way to disconnect or bypass the AFC? I would first try that to see if it's goofing things up.

C|
i must have missed that part about the afc. ya ill bet youve got somthing messed up on your afc for sure. when you conectied it did you have a base setup for it or did you just fire it up? you have to input some base perameters before you run the car. double check all your afc conections and if you used the conectors provided then just unplug everything and put it back to stock until you can get the car tuned, this means NO boost.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol, It wasn't going to be +10 for boost lol, my motor would be toast. I turned the corrections off in the afc and it ran a little poopy. I think injector #3 is leaking, would this cause a misfire? I saw what looked like fluid all over the spot where the injector goes in and I figure it is gas residue. The car ran less like piss this time, not sure why...

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
lol, It wasn't going to be +10 for boost lol, my motor would be toast. I turned the corrections off in the afc and it ran a little poopy. I think injector #3 is leaking, would this cause a misfire? I saw what looked like fluid all over the spot where the injector goes in and I figure it is gas residue. The car ran less like piss this time, not sure why...
well a leaking injector can cause weird conditions depending on how its leaking. make sure you have the correct map sensor wire for your afc. do you have the setup manual for your afc? if not i have one. you may have to track this down by removing one thing at a time that you added in your turbo install. start with the most interference parts first 1-afc 2-fuel mods 3-sensor swaps ect

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rather sure I have the correct wires, I studied them for a good hour before I started taping them. I need to go look, but i might not have done anything for after 3500 adjustment wise in my afc (i had no o2 sensor for a month). I also noticed the ass hat who put the manifold together warped the head flange. Aside from taking it off and sanding, how could I fix a small leak like that?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
well its kinda hard to fix that on the car, the proper way would to pull it and have it milled flat again. make sure your sensor settings for your map in/out are set to 1in 1out so you have no issue there. are you getting proper readings from your afc? map,throttle,rpm ect?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts