Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

So I am fitting lowering springs / eBay coilover sleeves to my Prelude.

I want to go very low and placed the spring without the sleeve on the stock strut first but there would be very strut movement available.

How much available strut movement should one aim for as a minimum?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
It's dependent on a couple of things (your spring rate, how rough your roads are, how rough you drive the car, the weight of your car, how stiff the shocks are...), but the basic goal is to keep the shocks from bottoming out.

Mostly you'll only be able to determine that by testing it out. If your car goes 'bang' over bumps 'n stuff, then it's going to be hard on your shocks. You can help out your shocks by getting bump stops, too, but they take up some of the usable length of your shock travel.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
My edumacated guess is that by the time you get close to your desired ride height you'll have no suspension travel left at all. Most likely be riding on the standard bumpstops.

But if you give us more information it might help:
spring rates
desired ride height

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - I have no idea on spring rates. They are stiff though..

Roads here are pretty good - I wont be racing it.

Just lows for looks.

its been suggested that 50mm with a bump stop in there should be alright?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
That would probably be fine, however I doubt you'll be able to get 50mm with a bump stop and be as low as you'd like. I want to say I have about 50 mm of shock travel and I have no bump stop and my car isn't particularly low.

You could have your shocks shortened. Or you could just lower it to where you want and just:

Deal with it

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Roads here are pretty good
Really?
So where in Londinium are you?
You must be in an area where they have no speedbumps and maintain the roads properly. Or you plan your routes very carefully. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts