Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my current setup now is MB Quart 5.25"s in the front doors, and Eclipse 3-way component 6x9"s on the rear deck, with a 150x4 amp with a capacitor running the speakers and a 300watt monoblock powering my 12. I have plenty of bass, but I find with the music I play (mostly heavy metal) that I really dont have much in the way of upper-mid bass, and alot of the sound in that music comes in there. The headunit is a brand frieken new Eclipse CD8445. Question is : do I replace the rear speakers with a speaker that has more mid-bass setup and leave the doors as they are and get MB Quart tweeters, or is there a smaller mid-bass speaker i can put in the doors and leave the rear deck alone. I ask this becuase the doors act as enclosures, and i havent really delt with true "open-air" bass speakers. I am going to get my tweeters replaced and have the headunit's amp power those, so high's is not a problem. Also, soon I will be upgrading from my Adire Shiva 12" to a JL 10w series, would the w7 be good, or will the w6 be more appropriate for the music that I listen to? By the way, its a 2000 Prelude.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Dedicated midbass drivers would help out, as would sealing and deadening your doors and car.

The driver type doesn't matter, but since you listen to rock you don't need a lot of power or incredible excursion. I'd go simple with the sub, and spend more on the midbass and higher (which you've already done with the MBs).

You can also mess with the EQ, too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would highly recommend against powering your good tweeters off the deck power. It sounds like a good way to get free wattage, but the amplifier in your deck 'probably' sucks compared to using a crossover with your dedicated amp. I don't know what amp you have, but most any reputable manufacturer would be a night day improvement over using the deck power.

To get more midbass, you may want to consider more power (not sure what amp you have) or a bigger driver (like a 6.5). You also may be able to find a different speaker (same size) that has better mid-bass...I think somebody mentioned EQ?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The speaker amp is an Infinity Reference REF7541A, 520watt 4-channel. Should I try to get dedicated mid-bass speakers for the doors, seeing as the door itself will act somewhat as an enclosure, or would a set of MB Quart 6x9"s in the back work out well. Also, I think a 10w6 or a Hifonics Zeus would be better suited for my sub, and I think a bigger box would work as well, im only running 1.5 cubic/foot box with my 12", and its only running on about 250watts RMS.

·
Registered
55 Posts
An Infinity Reference Amp with that much power should be no problem to dedicate for highs. Most Audiophile types, or those who compete, would ditch the 6x9's and run the front speakers off of the amp. One configuration which is highly tunable, is to use a digital crossover with the 4 channel amp. You run a highpass filter to 2 channels (tweeters), and a bandpass/lowpass to the other 2 channels (6.5s). You can tune the level and cut-off points for the highs and mids/midbass. If you bought high quality speakers, they'll have no problem handling 75W rms each. In fact, it's better to have more power than less, you just need to be careful when it starts to max out the driver.

After reading your post again, I just realized it sounds like you have MB Quart coaxials (2-ways). If so, almost any decent component setup will improve your midbass.

Why would you want to get more bass (more power to your sub and bigger box) when your problem is lack of mid-bass? You'll just notice the problem even more...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, the problem with the sub is that im getting alot of distortion because the box is way too small for the sub. i wanna get a better responding sub, and a better box for better sound quality. I still like a good amount of bass, but i really have NO mid-bass at all. So, i can fit some MB Quart 6.5's in the doors, the one's i have in there are 2-ways and 5.25"?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Box size shouldn't be causing you distortion. If anything, it will give you really poor sound quality and will just plain sound like crap. However, with that said, a true 1.5 cubic foot of volume for a standard sub is actually pretty suffice (assuming it isn't ported). I hate to say it, but it totally depends on the speaker. My old JL's would work with 1.25ft3 in a sealed enclosure. I've seen realistic working ranges from 0.9 - 2.5. Can you describe the distortion? Is it bottoming out, rattling, etc... How good is your enclosure? Who made it and what are the materials?

Did you install the MBquarts yourself? And, are you going to do the install? I ask this because it sounds like you aren't sure about the exact size. Replacing them with a 6.5 may be easy if the doors have already been modified to accept a 6.5. If not, then you'll have to stick with a 5.25.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts