Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve purchased a 5th generation for a build, finally ran into some money and this is my dream.

I’m looking for a reputable mechanic in the Miami area, I’ll go as far as Fort Lauderdale or Homestead. Does anyone trust a man for the job in this city?

I could also use advice for the engine replacement. I’m seeing constant JDM overstock of H22a engines, and not sure who to buy from, eBay looking the best. I’d like to place dual sequential turbos in with the new 2.2 liter engine as well. Does this run lean? Does someone have experience with that on here they could provide; there are a couple of options online for Prelude turbos?

Here’s a picture of her coming out of the body shop today:

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
If you're looking to build the motor, why replace it?

Why 2 sequential turbo setups (4 turbos total??) when people are running 8's and have plenty of power with single turbo setups?

You need to look into local Honda shops/tuners and ask plenty of questions. Also do some research of your own. There are no "Prelude specific" turbos. Turbo manifolds can be engine specific, but what you're looking for will require a lot of custom work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're looking to build the motor, why replace it?

Why 2 sequential turbo setups (4 turbos total??) when people are running 8's and have plenty of power with single turbo setups?

You need to look into local Honda shops/tuners and ask plenty of questions. Also do some research of your own. There are no "Prelude specific" turbos. Turbo manifolds can be engine specific, but what you're looking for will require a lot of custom work.
I misspoke; sorry, first post. I meant one set of sequential turbos, 2 turbos total.
Now do they have Honda specific turbos? One that doesn’t require so much custom work?

I want to have longevity and performance, the engines got 160k miles and down the road is when I’d do this. I was thinking of the K24 engine block / K20 head w turbo as another swap idea.

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
I misspoke; sorry, first post. I meant one set of sequential turbos, 2 turbos total.
Now do they have Honda specific turbos? One that doesn’t require so much custom work?

I want to have longevity and performance, the engines got 160k miles and down the road is when I’d do this. I was thinking of the K24 engine block / K20 head w turbo as another swap idea.
For the most part, turbos are interchangeable, unless it's a factory turbo for a specific car. Turbo manifolds will determine turbo placement/ any rearranging or cutouts within the bay. Your best bet and likely solution is a custom manifold/turbo setup for this project. I'm only aware of single turbo kits being available, not to say sequential setups are not out there - but also keep in mind you get what you pay for.

Are you looking for a street car or a track specific car? Sorry, I should have asked that first.

Food for thought, i'm currently around 235tq and 300whp on my supercharged build - for a fwd car, it's more than enough for me with this platform and feel that anything more would ruin it's reliability/street driven ability day to day. I'm looking for a better platform to push for more power - a swapped car appears to be the way to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the most part, turbos are interchangeable, unless it's a factory turbo for a specific car. Turbo manifolds will determine turbo placement/ any rearranging or cutouts within the bay. Your best bet and likely solution is a custom manifold/turbo setup for this project. I'm only aware of single turbo kits being available, not to say sequential setups are not out there - but also keep in mind you get what you pay for.

Are you looking for a street car or a track specific car? Sorry, I should have asked that first.

Food for thought, i'm currently around 235tq and 300whp on my supercharged build - for a fwd car, it's more than enough for me with this platform and feel that anything more would ruin it's reliability/street driven ability day to day. I'm looking for a better platform to push for more power - a swapped car appears to be the way to go.
May I ask what that power and torque ran you altogether? Why’d you go with supercharger? What’s the oil replacement like with your build?

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
May I ask what that power and torque ran you altogether? Why’d you go with supercharger? What’s the oil replacement like with your build?
I happened upon the supercharger by helping a friend that was in a bind. Got bored one day and decided to install it.

Regular oil changes every 3k miles. I just recently did valve seals and an oil cooler so i've not driven enough to see if i'm burning any, prior it was burning nearly a quart every 3k. The supercharger had the oil replaced during its rebuild, so i'm good for awhile with that.

Man, trying to figure out how much money has been dumped is a dangerous path and i'm not ready to go down it! I could have gone turbo and made more power for less, seeing as I've dumped more into the motor alone than I paid for the car 12 years ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts