Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my review on these arms. Knowing the stock arms have very limited toe adjust-ability I decided to purchase some Megan toe arms. When I purchased them the OEM Honda arms on my car were blown out. Bushings cracked, balljoints worn with play and in need of replacement. At the time Honda wanted quiet a bit and Megans price was $100 shipped. Honda was almost triple this price. So I bought the Megan arms. Once installed I found they made a horrible clicking noise. After talking to others they said eventually it goes away. This is caused from the joints while going over small bumps or start/stops. Over really bumpy roads it sounded as if my muffler was jumping all over the place disconnected hitting my toe arms. It was actually the joints. They rattle like a disconnected muffler. That is how bad the noise actually is.

I bought these 2 years ago and never drove on them really until now. Prices for Megan arms are nearly $200 now. Honda arms are now only $200 as well. I went to the dealer and bought a set of 97-01 arms. I drive a 92-96 chassis. They do fit with no issue and are a much better design than our flimsy 92-96 arms. Solid metal vs sheet metal bent, single piece design, and cleaner looking too. Once OEM was installed ALL the noises went away.

Now this is another interesting fact I noticed. when in heavy cornering with the megan toe arms my ass end would come loose from time to time when there were small bumps or cracks in the road. Not big ones, just tiny ones. What was happening was the joints would break loose for a split second causing my rear end to break free for a moment. it was really nerve racking. I had the cars alignment checked over and over and it kept coming back perfect. After putting the factory rubber bushings back in this went away. I can conclude the factory rubber that has a bit of give allows the cars suspension to travel a little without a snap back feel. The megan joints have a threshold level that once reached just snaps until it reaches the stopping point. This motion is what caused my rear end to move slightly. At high speeds, that slight movement is scary.

My conclusion on these arms, don't buy them. Megan didn't put any R and D into them. They just measured lengths and said "there that will fit". The joints they use are trash, make a fuck-ton of noise, and are unsafe imo when in corners at high speeds. I had them listed for sale and instead pulled my add and tossed them in the trash. They aren't fit for any vehicle and I would hate to have someone have to deal with what I did. If you need new toe arms, go to your Honda dealer and buy new ones. It's the same money now.

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem, that's why I wrote it out. I had seen many people buy them and a few mention clicking noises. Maybe my cities shitty roads brought out the issue more than others but I know several members can attest to my claims. They heard the car and know it sounded like a rattling muffler.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I haven't experienced any of the negatives the OP is on about. I don't get clunking and the haven't come loose. IMO they seems to be well constructed and have stood up to the race track perfectly.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I just bought a set out of necessity as well. The clunking comes from worn heim joints. If the heims were replaced those issues would go away. Mine are brand new. I cannot turn the heim joints with a screwdriver. There is no play whatsoever. Seems to be a real heavy duty quality product. I very impressed so far.

Sent from my SGH-M919

·
Registered
597 Posts
Looking for replacement rear toe arms

I see that Megan makes these for 5th gen, and that they also seem to fit 4th without issues. Does anyone make rear toe arms for 3rd gen ludes? Honda no longer carries them, and the ball joints on my stock ones are ridiculously loose. Failing a complete new arm assembly, does anyone know what ball joint goes in the stock ones? As Honda sold the arm as a single unit, they don't list a part number for the ball joint, even though it is clearly replaceable with a press, much like the lower ball joints on the lower control arms. If I knew what to buy, I could just replace the ball joint and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts