Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
the 'lude makes me poor.
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted about this along time ago but I didn't get any answers and I just put it on the back burner but here it is again are the auto and manual ludes VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) the same part?

Ever since my auto to manual swap my speedo has always read 8mph over. I at first thought it was the ECU so I swapped it, (it's been swapped again since two) and then I thought it might be the gauge cluster as I was still using the auto one, and I have since changed it to the manual on, but no fix.

I could never figure it out but then it hit me, VSS! I can't remember if it's using the one from the auto or if it is the one that came on the manual trans, are they the same part?

For the 5 speed swap guys:
Have any of you had this problem or even heard of someone who has?
Did any of you use the auto VSS in the manual trans?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I can finally join in here :D

no they are not, the auto is shorter and the side mount is smaller, it fits but wont bolt down.
Yeeep! They are different.

I used a 5th gen's manual bottom half (the mechanical part of it) and the top half of the SS auto(electronics part of it). This was on a M2A4 Transmission(4th gen JDM). I'm surprised you didnt think of it since it is the cheapest fix of all you mentioned :D

·
the 'lude makes me poor.
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can finally join in here :D

Yeeep! They are different.

I used a 5th gen's manual bottom half (the mechanical part of it) and the top half of the SS auto(electronics part of it). This was on a M2A4 Transmission(4th gen JDM). I'm surprised you didnt think of it since it is the cheapest fix of all you mentioned :D
and your speedo is accurate?

·
the 'lude makes me poor.
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mine reads accurate with auto (chipped) ecu, maybe your ECU was chipped wrong, have u tried a p28 with conversion harness? does it read differently?
I converted to OBD-1 at the time of the swap and since I have tried a chipped P13, non chipped P13, and now I'm on a P28 running hondata S300, there was no change to the speedo problem regardless of which ECU was used; so thats definatly not the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts