Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, guy, this may stretch the imagination too far, but I notice a lot of SH's around(online) that are low milage, and bieng that they are all sticks, I thought if I ever get around to buying a low-milage lude, I have a feeling it may be easier to find a low milage SH. So a while ago, this sparked an interest in me.

We've all heard how SH's can be a little, or more harder to work on, and I always thought at first, "well, if they are so hard to work on, take that stupid ATTS thing out!". So my queston is, if get an SH, would my life be made any easier by taking out the ATTS? I understand the filter is still wierd, but doesn't the unit itself take up a lot of room-from where many complaints root from? Would this cause your dash warnig lights to light up like a christmas tree?

I have a feeling I already know the answer(SH's suck to work on and there is nothing you can do to make it easier that wouldn't cause even more consequences), but I thought I might ask the pro's first.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
581 Posts
i would think that if u took the ATTS unit out that it would throw some codes b/c of the way the unit is wired. there are several people on here that have an SH that have done base conversions and taken the unit out and installed an LSD b/c the atts unit supposedly cant keep up w/ power outputs above 250 or so and it seems to be less complicated and more efficient at putting the power to the ground.

i dont think theres much of a difference in how hard they are to work on, just the oil filter location and all the fluid levels are different.

if its a concern, just keep lookin til u find the right base model and get it, it will be much cheaper than trying to convert an SH to a base.

Ace

·
Registered
763 Posts
This actually isn't a bad idea,if ATTS doesn't appeal to you and if the following applies

1) Base Ludes with 5 Speed manuals are harder to find in your area (True in my case)
2) You have access to garage/shop to perfom the conversion
3) you can get an Base or similar tranny cheap.

·
iamNOTerator
5,945 Posts
I actually like where the oil filter is, it may be a pain to get to but you get good at taking it out and you dont have to go under the car to get it.

just my two cents, buying an SH and planning to take the ATTS out is stupid, just buy a base or leave it in there. Its not a huge hassle to work around it, unless you are HEAVILY modding the car. If youre going to be leaving it stock don't even bother.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Like what everybody said, if u don't like atts than get a base. Btw atts don't like u too!!!!! Hahahaha j\p don't cry.
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
i have an sh that i converted to base. base tranny, removed atts and fabed up a mounting bracket. honestly, its more work then its even worth. It will throw a code i run on neptune so i never bothered to clear it. just buy a base. Unless you have a reason to do it like you need a new atts unit dont bother its a royal pain in the ass. and if you dont mount your half shaft in the rite spot it will vib like crazy...

·
Registered
109 Posts
i would wait to find a base..
but if your going to keep it somewhat stock why would you want to get rid of it?
unless you have some plans that excede 250hp??

·
Registered
272 Posts
i dont think theres much of a difference in how hard they are to work on
clutch job is a much longer process with the unit in the way.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
SH do look a little nicer. painted side skirts, rear wing better this and that. i bought a 99sh with 90k up to 104k atts was fine no problems didn't bother me i didnt bother it. until i boosted it and got rid of it :)

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
The amount of effort you'd spend removing ATTS would never be earned back in terms of filter changes, imo.

Maybe clutch jobs :p

·
Registered
198 Posts
There is no point in having a real SH if you wanna take the ATTS out. One of our fellow preludepower members posted a honda technicians guide for a 97 SH on how the ATTS is to be serviced and how the honda techs at the dealer do it. I just got my 98 SH i dont know when my last service of the ATTS was but i plan on doing it after i get my timing belt done. Its like anything else, if you take care of your car and keep up preventative maintenance on what needs to be done you should have very few or no problems at all. Right now my car runs fine but i know what i need to do at some point. And like some of the other guys already said if u take the unit out good luck getting the ATTS light to shut off.

·
Registered
198 Posts
OK, guy, this may stretch the imagination too far, but I notice a lot of SH's around(online) that are low milage, and bieng that they are all sticks, I thought if I ever get around to buying a low-milage lude, I have a feeling it may be easier to find a low milage SH. So a while ago, this sparked an interest in me.

We've all heard how SH's can be a little, or more harder to work on, and I always thought at first, "well, if they are so hard to work on, take that stupid ATTS thing out!". So my queston is, if get an SH, would my life be made any easier by taking out the ATTS? I understand the filter is still wierd, but doesn't the unit itself take up a lot of room-from where many complaints root from? Would this cause your dash warnig lights to light up like a christmas tree?

I have a feeling I already know the answer(SH's suck to work on and there is nothing you can do to make it easier that wouldn't cause even more consequences), but I thought I might ask the pro's first.

Thanks all.
and also ATTS is beneficial to your car in general depending what you are going for. I mean the unit itself is around 40 pounds, but it helps your outside wheel in cornering, and other things i cant think of off the top of my head, but truly you are pretty much dissmembering an SH because it wont be a real SH if you take the ATTS unit out. From what i can remember its kinda hard to find an SH around here and i live on LI, NY so i think my car is kinda hard to find at least a real SH though.

·
_
2,494 Posts
the ATTS is something to be savoured. if you've got one, you'll love how it handles.

dont mod it, just drive it.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I only suggested it in the hypothetical case that Was/will be searching for a low milage lude, and found one, but there is one issue, it was an SH.

I also thought they were a lot harder to work on, I now realize I was overestimating the toughness. I really like the essence of atts, and have nothing against it, I just thought that if I ever found a great deal on a low milage lude, what my choices would be.

I know you guys don't think it'd be worth it to, in your word, ruin an SH. But I'm just thinking in a sense that I were to find an unbeatable deal; and like I said, assuming they were much harder to work on than they actually are.

Sometimes it's easier not only online, but locally, to just look for an SH, than it is to specify, base model 5-spd, thats the only reason why I sadi it may be easier to find an SH than a base 5-spd. The amount of low-milage SH's and bases fluctuate, so it may all depend. I would like to have an SH, but if it is gonna take me more work to work on it, it may be not worth it.

P.S. I only thought of all this because, one of the first ludes I saw here in town, and still, the ONLY SH I've seen here in town to date, was a mint black one; the guy sadi it had 53K on it...amazing. I thought if ever found one, I might just buy it. Can you really feel the atts, or is it one of those, "if it's working, you can't feel it" type things...(As much sense as that may not make to some of you.)

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, I would leave it stock, I'm not much of an "extreme performance" kind of guy, at least not in an import. I love the lude, and you're all right, if I were to do any extreme modding, it would use a base...period.

·
Registered
44 Posts
clutch job is a much longer process with the unit in the way.
thats probably the only difference.

OP: how many times in the life of the car will you be changing clutch/flywheel?

if you find an amazing deal on an SH then just buy it and enjoy it.

taking out atts is stupid unless you plan on doing a lot to the motor.

Can you really feel the atts, or is it one of those, "if it's working, you can't feel it" type things...(As much sense as that may not make to some of you.)
You should go test drive an SH and a base and compare to see which one you prefer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts