Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have a 1990 4ws prelude. Recently(edit: started out a slow once in a while drip) it developed a major engine oil leak what looks like on the driver side. I don't have a garage or a place to do repairs myself. I don't really know any mechanics.

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in Portland, OR area?

As with most people, money is tight and I don't want to go to a random shop and pay an arm... plus I paid way over bluebook for this car since it was in a very nice condition.

Any other options?

Thanks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Check the distributor seal for oil leakage. Otherwise it could be the rear main seal but I doubt it would start leaking all of a sudden.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the distributor seal for oil leakage. Otherwise it could be the rear main seal but I doubt it would start leaking all of a sudden.

thanks for the suggestion. any idea of what it would reasonably cost to repair if that were to be the issue?

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
If the leak is on the driver side it's probably not the rear main or distributor seals. Probably the front main or cam seals.

I don't know of any mechanics in Portland, sorry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If the leak is on the driver side it's probably not the rear main or distributor seals. Probably the front main or cam seals.

Thanks for the input. I'm am not very savvy when it comes to auto repair.... but from what I know so far, cam seal can be replaced when I do the long overdue timing belt change.... not sure about what changing the distributor seal entails.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I'm agreeing with the responses on here.

On the drivers-side area, the main possibilities is the front crank seal and the cam seals. Minor possibilities are the valve cover and oil pan gasket.

If I had to hire a shop to do it, I would request these to be addressed during a timing belt service (the belt has to come off to access these seals anyways). Last I checked from honda --years ago, costs maybe more now-- a timing belt service was ~$500. So start with that and then account for those extras.

·
Registered
205 Posts

Ah yeah I thought passenger side for some reason - misreading is stupid.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I checked on this in '03 at the dealer after buying my lude. I wanted them to replace the water pump which is timing belt driven. I may have had a valve adjustment in that quote but I don't think so. They have to add new coolant and bleed the coolant system so that was another half hour or hour rating. Anyway that was 13 years ago and they quoted me $650.

Average dealer hour is $90 or higher now plus your parts.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a 1990 4ws prelude. Recently(edit: started out a slow once in a while drip) it developed a major engine oil leak what looks like on the driver side. I don't have a garage or a place to do repairs myself. I don't really know any mechanics.

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in Portland, OR area?

As with most people, money is tight and I don't want to go to a random shop and pay an arm... plus I paid way over bluebook for this car since it was in a very nice condition.

Any other options?

Thanks.
Moment of generosity. If you are willing to drive it 4hours north to me in Seattle one weekend and buy all parts, I will help you out. Just incase you are wondering, 16+years experience, former Honda dealer silver level tech with over 100 dealer certifications, Current tech for leading chain of repair shops in western Washington, ASE mastertech, Washington state AES #20280.

If you find a place to repair it yourself I will walk you through changing the cam and crank seals even down to the detail of what size socket/wrench to use. There can be a lot of good information and help on this site, you are not alone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Moment of generosity. If you are willing to drive it 4hours north to me in Seattle one weekend and buy all parts, I will help you out. Just incase you are wondering, 16+years experience, former Honda dealer silver level tech with over 100 dealer certifications, Current tech for leading chain of repair shops in western Washington, ASE mastertech, Washington state AES #20280.

If you find a place to repair it yourself I will walk you through changing the cam and crank seals even down to the detail of what size socket/wrench to use. There can be a lot of good information and help on this site, you are not alone.
I really appreciate the offer. What are do you live in? I visit the Tacoma area weekly sometimes, so this might work out really well.

Now to the problem... I may/may not have overreacted... after washing the area around the oil pan (which was pretty caked)... it is apparent that at least part of the slooow drip leak pools around the oil pan plug!!! I was able to give it another quarter turn a few days ago ... The washer is copper I think rather than nylon , I'm going to get a new plug/washer tomorrow and change oil...
I'm thinking it's still possible that the oil is leaking from up above as you guys have mentioned.... and is just flowing down to the lug ...? I'll inspect and hopefully it'll be apparent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts