Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a full clean of my EGR ports and was wondering if any of you guys have know a way of keeping them clean. I don't really feel like doing it ever again so was curious what you guys do. Seafoam every now and then perhaps?

·
Administrator
6,900 Posts
Unless you plan to put another 115,000 or more on the car - no need to worry about it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well, if you were really concerned, you could delete the EGR system. That would throw a CEL though. Other than that, I would say maybe running seafoam every so often, but that doesn't necessarily get all the way up into the channels where the EGR ports run. You could also consider just tapping the EGR plug holes, and replacing the plugs with threaded studs, but that's probably more effort than it's worth.

Question for you: did you remove the plugs with the manifold still attached and in the engine bay? I'm trying to remove the plugs from an IM I have that's out of the bay, but I can't seem to get the plugs out using the slide hammer. The screw seems to just get yanked out every time instead of taking the plug with it. Anything you found helpful for this process?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, if you were really concerned, you could delete the EGR system. That would throw a CEL though. Other than that, I would say maybe running seafoam every so often, but that doesn't necessarily get all the way up into the channels where the EGR ports run. You could also consider just tapping the EGR plug holes, and replacing the plugs with threaded studs, but that's probably more effort than it's worth.

Question for you: did you remove the plugs with the manifold still attached and in the engine bay? I'm trying to remove the plugs from an IM I have that's out of the bay, but I can't seem to get the plugs out using the slide hammer. The screw seems to just get yanked out every time instead of taking the plug with it. Anything you found helpful for this process?
I did it with the intake manifold still attached to the car. Not only that, I used a regular hammer's back end to pull the plugs. Try using a smaller drill size in comparison to the self taping screw you are inserting into the plugs. I ran into no problems besides losing the gasket for the fuel pressure regulator and losing almost 10L of gasoline haha.

·
Administrator
6,900 Posts

Bolt the manifold to something (a wall or whatever you may have... a vice even?) and use a larger screw. They yank out without a problem using a slide hammer. I've done it both on and off a car with no issue.

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
If you're running an obd1 ecu you can straight block the thing off and not worry about a CEL. Theres a $6 OEM honda EGR block off plate you can get from the dealer too. goes to a civic of some kind.

If you have emissions in your area, obviously check that first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts