Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You can, but you have to pull a lot of stuff. Exhaust, oil pan, transmission, timing belt, oil pump, crank. I've heard you can do it with the crank still in the car, but I haven't done it that way (I pulled the crank out of the car.).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can, but you have to pull a lot of stuff. Exhaust, oil pan, transmission, timing belt, oil pump, crank. I've heard you can do it with the crank still in the car, but I haven't done it that way (I pulled the crank out of the car.).
Thanks Ba5, I didn't word my question right. I wanted to know if you can replace the main bearings without pulling the crank. I know on some cars you can roll the bearing in with the crank installed. I won't have the time to a full rebuild and would like to help my son get some more time out out of his motor until he can buy a rebuilt engine to drop in. We wanted to replace main bearings, rod bearings and valve seals during spring break if it can be done with the engine and the crank still in the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't done a lude engine yet, but it's been my experience that if you go that far, you're well on your way down the yellow brick road.
I just know I would kick myself later if I did half the job while I was already that far in.
Now ... in all fairness, it's not my labor or my dime ... so, I can only hope it all goes well for you!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't done a lude engine yet, but it's been my experience that if you go that far, you're well on your way down the yellow brick road.
I just know I would kick myself later if I did half the job while I was already that far in.
Now ... in all fairness, it's not my labor or my dime ... so, I can only hope it all goes well for you!!
Hawki, I know what you are telling me. I put this out there to see if it could be down and to see if anyone has done it. So far I am not getting a lot of feed back so I think I will rethink this project. My biggest concern right now is the engine is starting to smoke and until my son can come up with the money to do it right I am trying to help him nurse it along.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts