Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several lights of just being stuck behind traffic I finally got my chance to find out exactly how well an Evo IX performs from a dig. This red Mustang Mach 1 had been revving and peeling out for several blocks of stop and go traffic, and I had just been dying to get next to him, and finally a light changed and both of us came to a halt next to each other.

"You aren't actually going to try to race me are you?" shouted the guy from the Mustang with a smirk on his face. "Maybe" I replied. He just laughed and we waited for the light to change.

On green I heard his Magnaflow exhaust rip through the relative silence of the night. I quickly gave my car more than enough gas, and got thrown into my seat as the AWD didn't let a single hp go to waste. The Mustang was so far behind by 3rd gear that I just let off and slowed to the speed limit.

At the next light we were both behind traffic and we were able to chat for a couple minutes. He asked me if it was an Evo 8 and when I told him it was a 9 he was shocked. He said he had never heard of it, and when he saw the different bumpers he thought I was a regular Lancer in disguise. Someone received an education that night. I <3 Evos, but if the deal I'm working on goes through then I doubt I'll remain attached.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Sounds about right. Try running him from a roll and it should be a LOT closer, but you still MIGHT edge him out. Good kill.

·
Registered
848 Posts
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0310_2003_ford_mustang_mach_1/

If you look just below the time for the 4speed auto mach 1 you will see that the 5-speed version turned 13.2 @106.7

Here is the link for the EVO MR IX:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=9394

It ran a [email protected]. I guess he should have gotten you from a dig too in the 1/4th mile. He traps 2 mph faster (meaning you would lose from a roll) and his ET is still lower by .2, meaning probably after the 1/8th mile he would pass you.

Sorry Honda boy.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Do you know what your talking about? You say it like its that simple to accurately measure who would win from a "roll" by a 2 mph trap speed difference. ALOT more variables involved.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
must have just been a 6 cyl with a mach 1 logo....nah j/k...of course on street tires the awd will win no doubt but go catch one on a track 2zz and youll get owned....i seriously doubt the driver new how to drive in all reality and plus if had been doing burnouts for several blocks i highly doubt he had the tires to run you anyways...come on now post a race with a meaningful story plot dont just go trying to make yourself look badass on a prelude forum dogging everyone elses races

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
jdawgs92ludesi said:
must have just been a 6 cyl with a mach 1 logo....nah j/k...of course on street tires the awd will win no doubt but go catch one on a track 2zz and youll get owned....i seriously doubt the driver new how to drive in all reality and plus if had been doing burnouts for several blocks i highly doubt he had the tires to run you anyways...come on now post a race with a meaningful story plot dont just go trying to make yourself look badass on a prelude forum dogging everyone elses races
yeah....you need to leave...

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hrmmm, lets see...280 whp vs. about 240 whp with close to the same weight...Of COURSE the mach1 will own the Evo 9 from a roll. Why do you think the EVO 9 runs low 13's with such a low trap? (Hint) AWD...from a roll, you lose that mean 1.6-1.8 60'. Also, at the strip, a mach 1 with some sticky tires can also cut some 1.8-2.0 60's. And I guarantee he will pull back on you in the last 1/8th mile. Now i know, there are a LOT more variables involved than superior whp per # and all that, but get real. Mach1's are about = to LS1 F-bodies. On the LS1 board I dont think ANYONE has lost to a stock Evo from a roll or a dig (provided they didnt screw their launch or the race wasnt too short to catch back up and pull the EVO before the next light b/c they sometimes get the holeshot if they are driven well).

Reminds me of the guy who said he killed LS1's with his stock 'lude. His constant argument was "man, those are just #'s, they dont matter!" Well, its numbers NOT in favor of that Evo...Sorry.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
haha, look at the margin. It isnt an obvious heads up for the mach 1 but you seem to make it out to be. Therefore you arent counting in the other variables just adding in the best for the mach 1. A smart ass muffstank driving kid playing around town in a daddy bought car is now an experienced driver for motor trend or car and driver? doubt it. Your talking a 2 mph trap diff....get real on your landslide predictions.....this was a street race

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Clean3rdGen said:
yeah....you need to leave...

nah you need to take a look at all of the races in the strret race forum and in most of them you see 2zz trying to take a kill credit from the lude owner by saying the other car was shit....i just get tired of his shit when he doesnt even own a lude comes on here talkin shit and owns an evo 9....now the evo 9 is badass dont get me wrong but damn he needs to just give some credit not everyone has a 30+ grand car to go beat on others...i mean no disrespect but damn a race is a race a win is a win....and my earlier comment was based on frustration so i will retract it and say nice kill 2zz

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
jdawgs92ludesi said:
nah you need to take a look at all of the races in the strret race forum and in most of them you see 2zz trying to take a kill credit from the lude owner by saying the other car was shit....i just get tired of his shit when he doesnt even own a lude comes on here talkin shit and owns an evo 9....now the evo 9 is badass dont get me wrong but damn he needs to just give some credit not everyone has a 30+ grand car to go beat on others...i mean no disrespect but damn a race is a race a win is a win....and my earlier comment was based on frustration so i will retract it and say nice kill 2zz
i got you man. didnt know that. I just thought you were comin in here to talk shit for no reason. Throw some pm's his way if you wanna duke it out tho.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Please stop taking mag times as the gospel.

The best IX times are [email protected], so yes the Mustang still traps a little higher.

The bone stock IX's are also putting down 270ishAWHP and they weigh around 3200lbs. They are NOT the same thing as an VIII. I'm not trying to show anyone up, in fact, I posted this kill on other forums a few months ago and until now had been debating whether or not to put it up on here. I figured I would catch some flaming, but at least it was minimal.

This was also on the street. I doubt the Mustang would have had enough traction to do anything to even touch the Evo. Fair enough argument on the track though, since I do not know how well I would run. You are also assuming that the Mustang driver would run the best stock run of his life. AWD is easier to get consistant numbers than a torquey RWD especially on street tires.

Don't try to defend this race, since there are too many variables and the cars are close enough to begin with. AWD clearly has the advantage on the street though. I won, and yes I'm 1000% sure it was a real Mach 1.

Just so everyone knows, I gave my RX7 to my younger brother who is about to get his license, and I sold my Celica GTS. The funds are going to something even greater... I won't say until I can post pics, since the b.s. flags will sprout like a Chia pet. :spinface:

Oh and btw, I'm a college student that can in no way afford an Evo of my own. It's my moms car. lol. Let the flaming begin! But if it counts for anything my new car is being processed, and it's an Evo killer. Mwuahahaha!

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Clean3rdGen said:
Do you know what your talking about? You say it like its that simple to accurately measure who would win from a "roll" by a 2 mph trap speed difference. ALOT more variables involved.
A car's trap speed is pretty much the best single indicator of how it will perform from a roll, though.
Sure there are many of other factors, but most of them are going to relate to human factors rather than car factors. Sure, a 2 mph differences can easily be overcome by "other variables" in a m4d tyt3 JDM street race...but the car that traps 2 mph faster is simply going to have a natural edge... and it's then up to that car's driver fully to fully capitalize on it. Which never happens, of course.

I've seen stock EVO IX dynos north of 240whp by a considerable margin, but who knows. Mach 1s are also sweet cars...

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Blue01 said:
A car's trap speed is pretty much the best single indicator of how it will perform from a roll, though.
Sure there are many of other factors, but most of them are going to relate to human factors rather than car factors. Sure, a 2 mph differences can easily be overcome by "other variables" in a m4d tyt3 JDM street race...but the car that traps 2 mph faster is simply going to have a natural edge... and it's then up to that car's driver fully to fully capitalize on it. Which never happens, of course.

I've seen stock EVO IX dynos north of 240whp by a considerable margin, but who knows. Mach 1s are also sweet cars...
thank you for breaking the camels back with that little bit of info.:sleepy:
so it looks like you are both agreeing and disagreeing with me on the same subject.....thats a magnificent feat to accomplish without totally sounding retarted. Too bad you didnt pull it off.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Clean3rdGen said:
thank you for breaking the camels back with that little bit of info.:sleepy:
so it looks like you are both agreeing and disagreeing with me on the same subject.....thats a magnificent feat to accomplish without totally sounding retarted. Too bad you didnt pull it off.
Since you have comprehension issues I'll dumb it down for you.

Cars that trap 102 beat cars that 100 from a roll, unless some helpless tool like yourself is driving the faster car, and crashes it into a pole.

Simple enough for you yet?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I think everyone summed it up for me. I said ORIGINALLY "good kill, i see how it could go down" I THEN said from a roll you would have trouble with a mach. and YES! a 2.7 mph faster trap speed WOULD spell DOOM for the slower car unless a total tool were driving the faster one. Even a daddy's boy can do a roll race i bet. As to winning from a dig...no, only a really good driver could pull a win against a EVO IX in the 1/8 mile.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was a cold night, and anyone with a turbo will tell you how much nicer a turbo car feels in the right weather conditions. I doubt that 1.7mph better trap would have meant he would have murdered me. He would have needed perfect and fast shifts to ensure that he traps perfectly. All the conditions were in my favor.

I don't see how this pertains to this race though, since it seems you are trying to save face for the Mustang by saying he would have "owned" me from a roll. The fact is, he underestimated me and I handed him his ass. He did not want to run again, but I will say he turned out to be a cool guy.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
2ZZ13BT said:
It was a cold night, and anyone with a turbo will tell you how much nicer a turbo car feels in the right weather conditions. I doubt that 1.7mph better trap would have meant he would have murdered me. He would have needed perfect and fast shifts to ensure that he traps perfectly. All the conditions were in my favor.

I don't see how this pertains to this race though, since it seems you are trying to save face for the Mustang by saying he would have "owned" me from a roll. The fact is, he underestimated me and I handed him his ass. He did not want to run again, but I will say he turned out to be a cool guy.
thats what i'm saying. hes making it out like the mustang will fucking own by 12 car lengths. And it's not like they were lining up at a tree on a hot virgina day either . Get a damn clue.

Its a street race and the muffstank would have factored out. I dont own a car from either manufacturer so I am not taking sides....you are mustang boy...You go by your car and driver road tests and see where that gets you. They are on closed courses in prime conditions.......lets use your brain a little more.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts