Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for those who read my other thread i've got my lude in the garage while tracking down a fuel pump problem. figured i'd try to fix some of the other issues while i'm at it.

I've got a trunk luggage rack that after some research i've found out was a dealer installed option. Looks alright, but my trunk as recently taken on some water whenever it rains.

Wanted to see if there are other "normal" spots to check for water leaking? and is there any normal maintenance i should do for these racks? thinking about taking them off and sealing with a silicone sealant.

Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
The first thing I'd check is the sunroof drain tubes. They get clogged. Usually this shows up in the form of the famous in-car shower, but they could also leak into the trunk. They're accessible by pulling back the trunk liner on each side.

Never had a car with a luggage rack, but that could also be a source of water.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Tail light gaskets too. Make your own replacement out of craft foam. I think silicone would work good. They make automotive body sealant that can be found at napa and O'reilly's I think. Check the opening edge under around the seal and the seal itself.

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
I always hated those racks on our ludes, just ugly.
Agreed. They seem to be pretty rare though. I can only remember coming across one in the hundreds of junkyard trips I've made over the years.

Reaperx, has the car ever had any collision damage to the rear end? There are several seams where the sheet metal is joined which can become damaged with even light rear end impact. Any place there is a seam can become a potential spot for a leak. I fought one for years and it turned out to be a seam which was mostly hidden by the trunk gasket. The only reason I even found it is because the water eventually stained the paint on the under side of the trunk lip. Upon removing the trunk lid gasket I saw where the water was getting in. It was a very small crack. It's surprising how much water was getting in through that. I posted pics in a thread when I found that but it's been a couple of years and I forget which thread LOL.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Yeah I don't recall ever seeing one besides brochures. May have on here but if so it was years ago. Yeah not my style either. Interesting I bought years ago one from the junkyard for the old accord and never put it on. Sold it last year. It is similar but the grab bar and rails were chrome and stainless steel or aluminum. On it the depth of the rails were the same all the way across. I see on yours, 3rd gen lude, the rails get deeper at the ends to coincide for the back curve of the trunk lid.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm not the biggest fan either of the racks. But no rear end damage that I'm aware of. I'm going to still follow those tips and check for cracks in the body or between tail lights

·
Registered
532 Posts
Luggage rack

Bought my ex-wife a silver '85 Prelude for her birthday and had the dealer install one for her.
It was a Genuine Honda part.

Cheers
nigel

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i understand they're a genuine part but are they prone to leaking? i guess anything that requires drilling holes through body panels will be prone to leaking at some point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts