Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
6,729 Posts
It's not as easy as looking at a wheel and going "yeah, that looks right".

Does that wheel fit the standard Honda 5x114.3? If no stamping, you will need to do a little research on the make/model. The next question is will it fit with or without hub centric rings. Measure the hub of the wheel.

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
745 Posts
It's not as easy as looking at a wheel and going "yeah, that looks right".
Yes it is. LOL

You can tell just looking at the pattern that it's for 4-lug hubs, not 5. All you have to do is count the holes. a wheel for a 4-lug hub will have 4 or 8. A wheel meant to fit a 5 lug hub will have 5 or 10, etc. Not that hard. ...So, no, it will not fit a 5th gen. Looks like it will fit both sizes of 4-lug patterns (4x100mm and 4x114.3mm). I hope you didn't buy them thinking they might work. Might work on my 3g, though! Bolt pattern is only the first step to figure out - if it's determined that the bolt pattern will fit, then all the rest of the stuff Wing8806 mentioned is applicable. You'll have to figure out offset, hub depth, etc. But, as we already know the lug pattern isn't the same as USDM 5th gen 'ludes, none of that matters. :)

Reactions: Trailblazin4jah

·
I lub Denny one tiem
2,440 Posts
depends where he lives. some 5th gens came 4 lug but he also has an amercan flag so no it wont fit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is. LOL

You can tell just looking at the pattern that it's for 4-lug hubs, not 5. All you have to do is count the holes. a wheel for a 4-lug hub will have 4 or 8. A wheel meant to fit a 5 lug hub will have 5 or 10, etc. Not that hard. ...So, no, it will not fit a 5th gen. Looks like it will fit both sizes of 4-lug patterns (4x100mm and 4x114.3mm). I hope you didn't buy them thinking they might work. Might work on my 3g, though!
🙏🏼
Nah I try not to make any changes or modifications without checking with you guys first. lol. And after posting, I did a little digging around... didn't realize how many lug patterns and sizes there were. But as always, I appreciate all of youz guyz knowledge and experience

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
745 Posts
Hey man, no sweat! They look nice, and would make a 5th gen look KILLA after some minor refinish work. It's actually a real pity they wouldn't fit. As these are aftermarket, they probably had a model of that same wheel that was made for 5 lug hubs....but it might be old and discontinued now. The casting mark on the outside of the rim right next to the valve stem is I think one used by Enkei. Stock alloys for a lot of different Japanese makes and some US domestic makes are made by Enkei under this holding of theirs - All my stock Honda alloys (I have 4 different stock sets of alloys for my ludes) have that same casting mark inside, My Mitusbishi Lancer OZ also has that casting mark, which means they were made by Enkei under that label and re-branded OZ specifically for that trim level of Lancer. Wheels are weird like that.

Reactions: Trailblazin4jah

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey man, no sweat! They look nice, and would make a 5th gen look KILLA after some minor refinish work. It's actually a real pity they wouldn't fit. As these are aftermarket, they probably had a model of that same wheel that was made for 5 lug hubs....but it might be old and discontinued now. The casting mark on the outside of the rim right next to the valve stem is I think one used by Enkei. Stock alloys for a lot of different Japanese makes and some US domestic makes are made by Enkei under this holding of theirs - All my stock Honda alloys (I have 4 different stock sets of alloys for my ludes) have that same casting mark inside, My Mitusbishi Lancer OZ also has that casting mark, which means they were made by Enkei under that label and re-branded OZ specifically for that trim level of Lancer. Wheels are weird like that.
Word! Ive always been mechanically inclined but have really gotten back into the fine details since I got into the lude game about 6 months ago. I haven't had a Honda since my cb7 coupe which I got rid of like 8 years ago. Anyway, yeah I even found a website that shows you what certain rims would look like on my car and they looked pretty viscous and the tire size seems like a perfect fit for the wheel well and my driving preferences/style but now i know what im looking for at least.
@tjcross how many ludes do you have/had?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Technically, I have 3 at the moment, all 3gs. Soon to be down to 2, which will be my 3rd and 4th respectively. I discovered over the summer that the one I've owned for the last decade or so has developed a very serious rust problem in the driver side front strut tower, all along the seam where it attaches to the frame. It's bad enough that you can see through it in a couple places and maybe even get some fingers through.....I'm sure a good welder could fix it up nicely, but I'm definitely not a good welder, so that car hasn't been driven on the highway for several months because I consider it unsafe. Mid October or so, I found and bought two ludes, and '89 and a '90, both for sale by the same guy on Craigslist. Neither runs - the '89 snapped the timing belt, although the guy said it ran and drove fine before that happened. The '90 is in a little worse shape and needs some TLC, but is perfectly repairable - has a B21A1 under the hood with a hole in the block thanks to the previous owner. Both are red, the same as my current runner, and both have 4ws installed, though I don't think either of them came with it originally (I'm not sure about this, since most of the badging is missing). The '89 is an automatic, the '90 is a manual just like the runner. (The '89 is my current profile pic here on the left, taken at the end of October when my friend and I went to pick them up and tow them to his place). Neither of these has the structural rust issue that my runner has. I have a B21A1 block on a stand in my garage awaiting rebuild when it warms up that came out of my first lude, which I performed a motor swap on....before the wife wrecked it. Got the runner I currently have almost immediately thereafter, and it didn't need a ton of work right from the get-go - it's been a reliable driver for me for a decade or so, until now. I figure I'll rebuild the B21A1, swapping out the one with the hole in the block for it. I can transplant the entire running engine from my current car to the '89 and make it work, and fix up the engine with the bad timing belt that comes out of it on my own time. That car is destined for my son who wants it bad. Thing is, he wants a manual, and that one's an auto, so an auto to manual swap is in the future for that one, and I have all the parts necessary to do it....but it's not high on the priority list. First things first, get them running and driving....then worry about what kind of transmission he'd rather have. LOL Meanwhile, the runner will become a parts car. The chassis may not be in good shape anymore, but the rest of the car is fine, and I'll be holding onto almost everything I can since I can't get OEM Honda-made parts for it anymore. None of these chassis is rust-free (they're midwest cars), but most of what's there is can be fixed: Rocker panels, rear wheel arches, the area around the gas door, etc. No critical structural problems like the runner currently has.
I've started a build thread on the 3g forum here, but I'm still in preliminary stages and it's not moving at all quickly because of the season and weather - It's been regularly hovering around fifteen below outside for the last couple weeks, and I sure as hell am not going out in that to work on a car. LOL It'll pick up when it thaws, though! Feel free to follow along if you want!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts