Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
back in july i had a stage 2 kit and flywheel from CC put in my lude and i loved it. but over the past 6 months i've had some issues with slippage and stiffness of the clutch pedal changing. anyways, in the process of replacing a starter earlier this week, one of my clutch assembly bolts came loose and fell inside the bell housing of the tranny. i got the tranny pulled tonight and decided to check the clutch. sadly my clutch has lost the majority of its grabbing surface. the car has only seen the track twice since the new clutch install and hasnt been abused too much since the install either, but i'm wondering if the fact that half of my clutch bolts were loose caused some abnormal wear on it.

basically, i need a new clutch and am trying to decide what brand/stage to go with. personally i love the way CC feel, but their lifespan is questionable now seeing as its only 6 months old.

if you have experience with these clutches or suggestions towards others, your input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

also aside from intake, the car is stock, but i'm planning on doing an N/A build down the road.

·
Vrooom PSHHHH
6,486 Posts
Holy crap man, how the hell does anyone go through a clutch in 6 months? hahaha.

Anyways...
I have the CC stage 3 (the segmented kevlar one) and it's awesome. Kevlar clutches supposedly last forever as long as they arent extremely abused and it can hold any reasonable amount of power I might ever get around to throwing at it.

Either your clutch wasnt installed properly or the disc was bent, or the disc wasnt engaging all the way with the clutch pedal all the way out. The latter would be caused by an improperly adusted lutch pedal, which I had to tweak after I got mine installed because it was all out of whack.

Maybe you just suck at driving stick? lol because there is no reason anyone driving normally, even with a couple trips to the track would go through a clutch that fast. Sorry to sound rude but it's a possibility

oh and any pics of the clutch disc? Also maybe call up CC and tell them what happened, they were nothing but extremely helpful when I called them. They have great customer service

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Maybe the clutch disc was installed backwards (ie the flywheel side to the tranny and the tranny side to the flywheel side)?
That's what Kauth & Meyer (supposedly the import car experts in Peoria, IL) did on my friends '94 Eclipse GSX turbo.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pads are maybe 1 or 2mm thick at the most
Posted via Mobile

·
bangin' gears
15,675 Posts
pads are maybe 1 or 2mm thick at the most
Posted via Mobile
thats not what i said to do. You aren't going to get any real help from people on the internet.

get REAL data and call the manufacturer. Ask them how to correctly measure for wear.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
By clutch bolts you mean the pressure plate bolts right? It could cause it, but most of them would have to be very loose. Did you torque them down? Check this out:
http://preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306375

Use blue loctite. Also make sure to get your flywheel resurfaced.

No clutch dies in 6 months if its installed correctly, even with the crappiest of drivers, unless your always riding the clutch. (Pending of course that you dont beat the crap out of it during break in)

·
bangin' gears
15,675 Posts
By clutch bolts you mean the pressure plate bolts right? It could cause it, but most of them would have to be very loose. Did you torque them down? Check this out:
http://preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306375

Use blue loctite. Also make sure to get your flywheel resurfaced.

No clutch dies in 6 months if its installed correctly, even with the crappiest of drivers, unless your always riding the clutch. (Pending of course that you dont beat the crap out of it during break in)
oh so this is the same guy that found the pressure plate bolts all messed up. If thats the case, CC isnt going to do anything for you as it is an install error.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i wasnt expecting CC to do anything since i'm 99% sure this was the result of an incorrect install. the point of making this thread was simply to find out how these clutches were holding up for others. that clutch may still have some bite left to it, but its not worth putting back in. when it comes down to it, i'm just gonna replace it while the tranny is out, so i was just trying to get input on how they were holding up for others. i like the way they drive and if the kevlar matterial holds up as it should, then i will most likely upgrade to a stage 3, but i just wanted to know how other driver's clutches were holding up.

·
Vrooom PSHHHH
6,486 Posts
I dont really see anything wrong with the clutch surface but like 98vtec already said, you need to find out what the stock thickness is to actually determine if it wore down prematurely or if it just looks like it. Clutch friction surfaces arent really very thick to begin with

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Who installed your clutch?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a friend from another forum did the install for me. he's got a fully built 4th gen that he races at the strip. been working on preludes for over a decade. i dunno how he managed to fuck up the install though. :dontknow:

and yes i followed the break-in procedure. i babied the car for 1000 miles just to make sure the break in period was fulfilled.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
lol. Didnt notice you were the same guy!

The pressure plate bolts were likely the culprit... But seriously find the stock thickness....

sort of hard to mess up the screwing on the bolts. Unless they weren't torqued properly. (even then, IIRC, its about 20 ft-lbs, you can easily do that)

·
Registered
472 Posts
i just installed my competition clutch stg 4, 6 puck, it grabs hard as frack but have only drove it for around 200 miles, so i hope it lasts longer than 6 months.. lol

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
like i said, yes i followed the break in procedure. i even babied the car for 1000 miles just to make sure the break in period was fulfilled.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I'm running CC stage 2 clutch, pressure plate, flywheel combo. Only problem i had was the pressure plate bolts backing out. Reinstalled with blue loctite on the bolts and no problems since. At least 6 months of heavy abuse (turbo and auto-x, saw plenty of 8000+ rpms on a daily basis), still no signs of slippage. I love it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm running CC stage 2 clutch, pressure plate, flywheel combo. Only problem i had was the pressure plate bolts backing out.
i've got the same setup and the same thing happened to me. how long after the install did you find out the bolts were backing out?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts