Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got into the discussion in another thread and forgot i said i'd cut another one open until screwing around in the garage today. I figure we can compare for this application instead of using interweb "facts" from various filters.

So far i have a stp and a purolator. It will be a year before the napa gold.

If you have some you can dissect then post good pics and info. These cars aren't rolling off the line and some plan to keep them for a while.

STP
Element lenth: 2.068"
Pleats: 46
No bypass valve
Collapsed on the engine.

Purolator
Element lenth: 2.1"
Pleats: 60
Has bypass valve

Eventually I cut these open.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
Honestly, I've always had awesome luck with Mann or Mahle filters. Napa Gold filters are essentially rebranded Wix filters (which are very good).

The only real brand of filter that I run away from is Fram.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The Filtech filter from Honda, it's just as good as a filter twice it's price and it's a genuine part. 15400-PLM-A01

You guys do know that an oil filter really doesn't filter anything? If it's catching anything then there is something really wrong inside your engine. It doesn't keep your oil cleaner longer since it isn't dirt that darkens the oil and no filter is able to separate the blow by that is contaminating your oil.

If you're paying $10 for your oil filter then you're wasting money. The Honda oil filter is made to last for 2 oil changes btw.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
The Filtech filter from Honda, it's just as good as a filter twice it's price and it's a genuine part. 15400-PLM-A01

You guys do know that an oil filter really doesn't filter anything? If it's catching anything then there is something really wrong inside your engine. It doesn't keep your oil cleaner longer since it isn't dirt that darkens the oil and no filter is able to separate the blow by that is contaminating your oil.

If you're paying $10 for your oil filter then you're wasting money. The Honda oil filter is made to last for 2 oil changes btw.
Well I wish you the best of luck trying to get 2 oil changes out of your oil filter. Your bearings and connecting parts must love you pinching pennies so you don't have to spend the extra $5 every time you change the oil for a filter. :roll:

Oil filters are cheap. Replacing engine internals is not. There's absolutely no reason why ANYONE should keep an old filter on an engine during an oil change, regardless of what old wives tales you may have heard.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Being used to long may have been what killed that stp. I have no idea how long it was on but the oil was low and dirty on that base. Had some chevron supreme in the trunk so atleast had decent oil. It doesn't have a bypass valve either.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Length of use for an oil filter depends also on how many miles and what kind of use. If it's 1000 miles and normal street use re-using a filter is ok. The German filters Mahle and Mann
are very good when they're available.
How long do you figure oil is good for? If it's in a car that's used 1000 mi or less per year.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I know I'm guilty of wasting oil, but it helps me sleep at night. I change the oil in my lude twice a year and am only doing 3-4k with it as of now. I use Valvoline maxlife syn blend. I'd use full synthetic if it didn't use oil like an old Honda does.

also Denso filters ftw!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have a swix one downstairs I could cut open, id be interested to see how it looks compared to the napa gold which ive also used. I just put a bosch filter on it two days ago, never used that brand before id be interested to see how it looks.
my cousin always used to cut them open to have a look but ive never seen a study consisting of only prelude filters.
I'm also new to the non-daily driven prelude and I still use the Valvoline conventional oil that I used when I was daily driving, ive changed it 3 times since I took her off of daily duty in winter 14-15 (less than 3k) - kind of off subject but, what oil do you other non-dailyers use?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seeing how 10w30 mobile 1 high mileage does since i run it in other vehicles. I always 3k change other than my bike. It get's fresh oil every 1k and new filter every 2k.

Cut that bad boy open and post pics. Betting it's the same.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've been using 10w-30 as well, and mine isn't a daily either as the mileage might've suggested in my last post. anyone running 40w in a higher mileage car?

and the viscosity debate begins lol.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,272 Posts
I just did an oil change on my car last night, I'll cut open the filter and take some photos tonight.

Mann M1002 filter, 3,000 miles using Rotella T6 5w-40.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts