Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2ndone, kobra and i took off my transmission and fixed the throwout bearing and put the clutch in correctly and reinstalled the transmisison. After about 10 hours of working we ran into the same problem. The car will not go in to any gear while it's running..

Jason and I have conluded that LSD has shipped me the wrong clutch.... so now we have to do it all over again.. the product number is L200-R011s or something like that...

If anyone knows anything to do. Please let me know, i magically found a ride back up to school and need to get the lude back on the road asap. Has anyone else found this problem from LSD??

Thanks guys

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
what tranny are you using?
what flywheel are you using?
which year group clutch did you buy?
did you have the flywheel resurfaced before putting the new clutch in? if you did, did they only resurface the clutch disc contact area or did they machine the pressure plate mounting surface as well? if they did both, are you sure they machined it to the proper step height?

when you installed the clutch and had all the pressure plate bolts torqued down, did the pressure plate springs/fingers all sit perfectly level and flat? or did they stick out at a slight angle? or did they stick in at a slight angle?

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what tranny are you using?
what flywheel are you using?
which year group clutch did you buy?
did you have the flywheel resurfaced before putting the new clutch in? if you did, did they only resurface the clutch disc contact area or did they machine the pressure plate mounting surface as well? if they did both, are you sure they machined it to the proper step height?

when you installed the clutch and had all the pressure plate bolts torqued down, did the pressure plate springs/fingers all sit perfectly level and flat? or did they stick out at a slight angle? or did they stick in at a slight angle?
Using the d2j3 tranny. The clutch is meant for a 88/89 honda prelude
didn't have the flywheel resurfaced
the pp was torqued down.
the pp fingers sat right.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
the pp fingers sat right.
define "sat right". were they angled in a bit? out a bit? or perfectly flat and level?

and which flywheel are you using?

was the clutch disc installed backwards previously?

sounds to me like you just need a really good bleeding, or you have a leak somewhere, or a bad master cylinder, or an improperly adjusted clutch pedal.

if lsd shipped you the wrong clutch:
1) it wouldnt even bolt to the flywheel
2) the PP fingers would not sit flat and level
3) the mainshaft of the tranny wouldnt even fit in the disc

so you definitely did not get the wrong clutch.
either something is wrong elsewhere, or something with the install is still installed incorrectly

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
define "sat right". were they angled in a bit? out a bit? or perfectly flat and level?

and which flywheel are you using?

was the clutch disc installed backwards previously?

sounds to me like you just need a really good bleeding, or you have a leak somewhere, or a bad master cylinder, or an improperly adjusted clutch pedal.
the fingers looked flat. the master is new and so is the slave. would the improperly adjusted clutch pedal make that big of a difference?? the pedal feels fine... i dont know why the clutch won't disengage. I know the clutch pedal adjusts for clutch wear which in my case was alot of wear on the clutch. :( i'll see if i can adjust the clutch pedal... but i doubt it will readjust the clutch that much.. thanks motox.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the fingers looked flat. the master is new and so is the slave. would the improperly adjusted clutch pedal make that big of a difference?? the pedal feels fine... i dont know why the clutch won't disengage. I know the clutch pedal adjusts for clutch wear which in my case was alot of wear on the clutch. :( i'll see if i can adjust the clutch pedal... but i doubt it will readjust the clutch that much.. thanks motox.

btw hte flywheel is stock.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
the pedal doesnt adjust itsself for clutch wear. the pedal adjustment is meant for varying master cylinder characteristics.
the slave cyl's position at rest is what changes as the clutch wears.
a mis-adjusted pedal can definitely cause issues of a clutch never engaging or never disengaging, so do check that out. but dont adjust it to a point where the clutch works, adjust it to a point where the pedal freeplay is within factory spec.
if theres still an issue after that, then its still a problem elsewhere.

you probably just need to bleed the snot out of it, or you have a leak somewhere

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
the clutch slave and master are new, and the car definately was bled proper. the fork has just about an inch of travel when the clutch is pressed. as far as the pedal adjustment, i am not positive how to adjust it. as far as free play in the car, i never actually pushed it, but a fellow pp member did, and to him the clutch felt exactly the same as his. i'm not saying that is correct, but would think it is a good starting point. also, the fingers on the pressure plate were almost perfectly horizontal with the pressure plate. pressure plate thickness and disc thickness almost seem to thick for any fly clearance. i dont have experience with lsd components besides this, but the new disc was about twice the thickness of the stock clutch that we used for reference. and the disc was not shot by any means. springs in center were wasted, but disc had plenty left on it.and i am refering to the stock disc. new disc was fine.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
also, the disc would only fit one way, as the center of the disc had extra plating and would have been hitting the flywheel bolts leaving about 1/8 inch gap between actually clutch surface and the flywheel surface. the clutch was and is reinstalled as proper as we could see. the fork originally was an issue, but i am absolutely positive that all of the eyes that were on it saw that it did not fall out of place in installation. on a side note, we did attempt a 1st gear start up with the car on stands and found with the clutch and brake pushed in that the car did not stall out, and there was minimal engagement of the clutch. after we shut it down the only conclusion would be that the disc packaged with the pp was not correct. i am sure that the input shaft on the tranny was used in more than just a prelude application, so it is possible that just the disc did not belong to that kit. pp bolted on just fine.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Have you tried starting it in first gear to see if its actually clutching? Maybe you left the slave cylinder unbolted. Is it losing fluid from the clutch?

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
slave is bled and bolted down proper as the fork and throw out bearing are also installed proper. i am assuming that is what you are talking about with "thrust bearing".

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
i know the op appreciates the feed back, but he is going to contact lsd to make certain that this clutch can be used with the stock flywheel and adjust clutch pedal to be certain there is nothing else before we pull the tranny again.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Have you tried starting it in first gear to see if its actually clutching? Maybe you left the slave cylinder unbolted. Is it losing fluid from the clutch?
we did this. its in the post above your original. it doesn't seem to bog the motor down but it is deff engaged when it shouldn't be.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
if the fingers on the pressure plate were perfectly horizontal or darn close, than the disc is the right disc and the right thickness. if the disc was too thick, the fingers would be angled way in. if the disc was too thin the fingers would be angled way out.

trust me, if you got the wrong PP or disc, it would be extremely obvious, because it simply would not even fit at all without some major major noticeable issue during installation.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
yeah, we thought that too, so we continued the install of the tranny. spoke to wes earlier and he is going to try adjusting the clutch pedal while waiting to hear from lsd about the stock flywheel. whether or not that clutch setup was intended for that flywheel.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
yeah, we thought that too, so we continued the install of the tranny. spoke to wes earlier and he is going to try adjusting the clutch pedal while waiting to hear from lsd about the stock flywheel. whether or not that clutch setup was intended for that flywheel.
it wouldnt even bolt up to the flywheel if it was meant for a different flywheel

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
like i said, i have no experience with lsd components, but i thought that it is possible that that clutch kit could require some type of aftermarket flywheel. i have seen flys that have replaceable surface. again though that i think is a question for lsd. at least i know that i cant answer it. and the disc and pressure plate went in 1 2 3. no problems with install. disc only fits one way.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
im telling you, there is nothing wrong with the clutch kit itsself. there is a problem in the clutch system somewhere else. either a leak, air in the system, or incorrectly adjusted pedal, or bad master or slave, improperly installed fork and/or throwout bearing.

seriously, stop focusing on the clutch kit, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, i can promise you that

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Listen to moto cause I agree with him and I bet that your throwout bearing wasnt installed correctly and the first time you pushed the clutch pedal down it got stuck and your throwout bearing is kinda sideways on the input shaft of the tranny...your taking your tranny off again sorry dude

1 - 20 of 35 Posts